Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Whats a clock spring?

The clock spring is the unit that allows the wiring for items on the steering wheel (in our case, for the airbag, and cruise control) to turn with the steering wheel, without twisting/damaging the wiring. It is the black unit on the steering column, just behind the steering wheel.
All they contain is a ribbon cable (similar to the old school IDE HDD cables), that is long and flexible enough to twist when the steering wheel is turned, without putting any pressure on the wires at either end.

On the falcons, there aren't many wires (the EF/EL has a total of 5, and the AU has 6), as most of the signals that our cars send through them are based on certain levels of resistance.

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Cheers.

Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Finished this tonight.
I ended up getting an AU clockspring, and the black plastic backing for the airbag from a fella on the other Ford website.

Fitted it all tonight, wasn't that hard, all running now.

1 problem I encountered was there was a different plug on the clockspring for the horn (had 4 pins) as to that on the airbag I had (only had 2 pins). Choped the plugs off and replaced with some narva terminals, problem solved.

So the end cost was just over a hundred because I had to pay freight to tassie for everything, but definitely worth it. The Momo wheel looks a lot better with the black centre.

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Finished this tonight.
I ended up getting an AU clockspring, and the black plastic backing for the airbag from a fella on the other Ford website.

Fitted it all tonight, wasn't that hard, all running now.

1 problem I encountered was there was a different plug on the clockspring for the horn (had 4 pins) as to that on the airbag I had (only had 2 pins). Choped the plugs off and replaced with some narva terminals, problem solved.

So the end cost was just over a hundred because I had to pay freight to tassie for everything, but definitely worth it. The Momo wheel looks a lot better with the black centre.

Do you have cruise control?

If you have it, do your controls work? From what I have read (which are the wiring diagrams of the AU setup (courtesy of AFF) and the EF/EL setup (The genuine workshop manuals), the resistance values are different. I think that they are too different for the setup to work.

I have put my attempt on the back burner, as other things have come up :(

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

No, I don't have cruise control or radio buttons.

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
No, I don't have cruise control or radio buttons.

Good on ya twr7cx. Seeing you have finished yours has made me get off my a** to finish mine. Got all of the parts that I needed (Clock spring, wiper/blinker stalks as well as the cruise/audio stalks today for the princely sum of $35 8-)
Now that I have all the parts here. I have figured out all of the cruise wiring. I Just need to solder it all together, and put it in the car (I am not at work today). If it is not done today, it will be done on Saturday.
I will not have the audio controls working yet, as I will need to get the adapter to plug it into my aftermarker HU. That will be done in a couple of months.

Posted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

will an au combination switch fit an ef el?

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

eboost wrote:
will an au combination switch fit an ef el?

It's a Straight fit to a car without cruise control. This is the same as the clock spring.
I attempted mine last night. I thought that I had everything worked out. I was too lazy to solder the connections for the cruise on/off switch. If I jump the switch to on (at the bottom of the steering column, the acc/decel/coast buttons work. I bought those narva wire intercepts. I am not getting proper contact. I will be pulling them back out, and re-doing it over the weekend. I will

If you con't have cruise control, all you need for the conversion is the clock spring and the airbag. If you have cruise, you also need the combination switch and to alter the wiring.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Tool, can you please get some pictures of the Cruise control stuff please. I'm looking at adding cruise to my ride shortly, and it'll help.

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Does this mean the BA-onward airbags will work too? or do they use a different firing system?

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

BA onwards will be completly different.

Posted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
Tool, can you please get some pictures of the Cruise control stuff please. I'm looking at adding cruise to my ride shortly, and it'll help.

I did not get a chance to get pics before, as I was still working on it. I am now 100% complete.
I purchased an adapter to utilise the audio controls. This is the one that I purchased. $75 off ebay (used). As I am using a pioneer head unit, I had to use the infra red sender. I could not direct connect. There are only 2 suitable places to mount the sender - the console and on the roof. I did not want to use the roof, as I did not want to run wires around the sunroof. I could not find anywhere suitable on the console to mount the sender, as the gear lever would get in the way in certain gears. In the end, I mounter it to the front of the gear lever, and it works in all gears (as in the first pic). I cannot tell it is there, unless I purposely touch where it is (which will not happen in normal driving). I cut a section out of the gear knob and the gear boot. I have also had to take a nick out of the gear lever itself, so that it will not damage the wire.

The second pic is of the steering wheel, airbag and switches. and the thrid is of just the clock spring and the combination switch (with the on/off switch).

Now I need a new project :lol:

Attachments:
File comment: This is a close up of where I mounted the IR sender
DSC00143_640x480.jpg
DSC00143_640x480.jpg [ 47.82 KiB | Viewed 3101 times ]
File comment: This is with the steering wheel, airbag and controls in place
DSC00138_640x480.jpg
DSC00138_640x480.jpg [ 54.37 KiB | Viewed 4279 times ]
File comment: This is just with the colock spring and the combination switch. Note that the on/off is on the blinker stalk
DSC00113_640x480.jpg
DSC00113_640x480.jpg [ 55.67 KiB | Viewed 3684 times ]

Post subject: Re: Will an Au airbag/horn fit el steering wheel
Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

If I were to use EF/L cruise switches with the AU airbag instead of using the stereo controls (which I dont think I would ever use anyway) can I just use the AU clock spring and connect the EF/L cruise switches as per normal and just have a spare wire in the clock spring? Therefore not requiring the use of the AU stalk to switch it on and off.

I hope that is understandable jibberish.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

to get the cruise and audio working properly, you will need a spare AU cluster as both of these run thru the cluster. And the AU indicator stalk.

Swap the clock spring over and the air bag works fine. I swapped over the entire guts of the AU coloum, ie barell, stalk cruise switches etc. The all bolt up to the EL coloum.

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

macxr8 wrote:
to get the cruise and audio working properly, you will need a spare AU cluster as both of these run thru the cluster. And the AU indicator stalk.

Swap the clock spring over and the air bag works fine. I swapped over the entire guts of the AU coloum, ie barell, stalk cruise switches etc. The all bolt up to the EL coloum.

I did not go as far as you. I am still using the EL cruise system, not an AU one. All I had to do was change the resistors on the PCB for thhe set+, set- and coast buttons. I am using ones that have the same resistance as the EL. I also grabbed the 3 wires that ran through the combination switch for the on/off switch, and linked them to the 3 cruise wires at the bottom of the clock spring.
With the audio controls, I am running a CAT9 adapter (as I got it cheap) to transfer the signal to my pioneer head unit. All that is needed to install that is to run the red/white wire into the CAT module, along with power and earth and set the output up. I am only using the factory buttons, and nothing else.
As pictured above, I am still using the EL cluster. My cruise control and the audio controls work :)

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2