J3 & supercharging 

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: J3 & supercharging
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU2 75th Anniversary Futura

SA, Australia

Just wondering if someone here has supercharged their AU and used the J3 software successfully to do so.

Was it difficult? What difficulties did you encounter? How does it pan up against other tuning options out there?

Cheers
Shav

Post subject: Re: J3 & supercharging
Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Maybe talk to Jason from ti performance , I'm sure hes made a chip for a supercharged falcon

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I have spoken with Jason. He has been very helpful. I just was wondering if there has been anyone who has gone through this themselves with an AU.

I will most likely go with TI Performance anyway, just thought I'd ask what issues anyone has encountered.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Dan is the only person I know of who has gone the Forced Induction/J3 route on an AU.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Thanks mate. I will have to pick Dan's brains on this more with this.

Perhaps he could provide me with his bin file? :mrgreen:

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

I've got a J3 chip in mine with the supercharger.

Biggest issue I've got is that the stock ECU cannot see positive pressure, it only works between 0 and atmospheric.

This means that to cover your fuel under boost you need to purely use a rising rate regulator. Mine runs a little lean on part throttle but then goes mega rich, spewing black smoke out the back kinda rich under full noise.

The other thing is that you cannot control timing accurately under boost. My car pings a bit at the moment, I'm sure I could back the timing right out of it, but it doesn't give the fine level of control.

There is a way to dodge it up though, which is to fit a bigger MAP sensor that will emulate the same voltage range as the standard MAP but this time over your whole pressure range.

That's just my personal experience.

On the plus side, the J3 is damn easy to use.

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

nicco wrote:
I've got a J3 chip in mine with the supercharger.

Biggest issue I've got is that the stock ECU cannot see positive pressure, it only works between 0 and atmospheric.

This means that to cover your fuel under boost you need to purely use a rising rate regulator. Mine runs a little lean on part throttle but then goes mega rich, spewing black smoke out the back kinda rich under full noise.

The other thing is that you cannot control timing accurately under boost. My car pings a bit at the moment, I'm sure I could back the timing right out of it, but it doesn't give the fine level of control.

There is a way to dodge it up though, which is to fit a bigger MAP sensor that will emulate the same voltage range as the standard MAP but this time over your whole pressure range.

That's just my personal experience.

On the plus side, the J3 is damn easy to use.

Great post. Thats the type of info I was looking for. Thankyou.

Did you fit a 2 bar map sensor in? Also do you still have the same type of tuning freedom as say the sct product or sniper?

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

J3s can now tune up to 10psi...

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

krisisdog wrote:

Thanks Chris. Is this in conjunction with what nicco is saying or is the new issues of J3 good to go without the need of a 2 bar map sensor?

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

Yeah, as Shav has asked, is this using the MAP sensor work around or another improvment?

Shav, currently, I am using the stock MAP, hence the pinging issues. Which, as a point of interest, is a 2 bar MAP. You would have to go a 3 bar MAP (i think XR6T has the correct one) and that should work.

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

nicco wrote:
Yeah, as Shav has asked, is this using the MAP sensor work around or another improvment?

Shav, currently, I am using the stock MAP, hence the pinging issues. Which, as a point of interest, is a 2 bar MAP. You would have to go a 3 bar MAP (i think XR6T has the correct one) and that should work.

Thanks mate. I suspected so. Cheers for the confirmation.

Looks like J3 tune and 3 bar map sensor is the way to go.

Cheers
Shav

Posted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:45 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

krisisdog wrote:

In an E-series, which uses a digital (frequency-based) MAP sensor.

Shav, OTOH, has an AU which uses an analogue (voltage-based) 1-bar TMAP sensor. IIRC his car is an AU2 or 3, which an XR6T TMAP can be bolted into but requires a small wiring mod.

I suggest you check this out Shav: ecu-fuel-system-eec-f21/the-illustrated-guide-to-au-b-series-i6-tmap-sensors-t95674.html

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
http://www.boostedfalcon.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=17020&start=0

That refers to E-series cars, not much use for Shav's AU.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:04 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Shav, you need to confirm that TI Performance have a comprehensive def for your car's bin. Do you know the box code for your ECU? Or the code for the strategy?

If you got an Xcal2 in your Raptor kit, you can read the strategy under the "Vehicle Info" menu. I assume the Xcal3 has a similar option, but the original Flash Tuner box doesn't. If you can read the strategy, you can check with TI if they have a def for your car. When I read the strategy for my car (bearing in mind it's a Series 1 with Smartshield) the code it shows is "N9XL1N6". Yours will be somewhat different.

Otherwise, you can try to get the boxcode off your ECU using a mirror to see the sticker on the J3 cover plug. I suspect it might be 12BD or similar. Or browse through this list -->http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbportal/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=559 and see which one describes your car. To help decode these, ignore the R which is the 1st letter of the part number, it just indicates a remanufactured or reconditioned part. Any codes with "1R23" as the next 4 characters apply to AU2.

Once you get a box code or part number, you can compare it with TI's ECU database, but you probably still need to ask them what the corresponding strategy is, and if they have a suitable def.

Most E-series seem to be well mapped by now but the AU's aren't as well represented on TI's website as yet.

I understand that the main issue you have is a flat spot around 2000rpm? Mine has a big off-idle flat spot that doesn't clear until 2200-2400rpm. I've just bought a Sniper package to have a go at tuning out the flat spot and then adapting an XR6T TMAP sensor to give a fully boost-mapped tune. What I have to do first though is work out whether my flat spot is rich or lean, using a wideband O2 sensor and datalogger to collect some data correlating AFR's against RPM and throttle position and/or MAP voltage. You may need to do similar, or see if you can get a dyno analysis done.

Have to go now, this might give you a few more questions to ask.

To be updated... soon!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next