Fordmods Logo

200kw xr8 cam 

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post subject: Re: 200kw xr8 cam
Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

what do you mean re-profiled the 200kw i'm guessing more lift is that right [lumper cam]

take life as it comes, life was'nt ment to be easy

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

dean_hargreaves wrote:
i thought if i put in the 200kw cam, 1.72 y/t roller rockers, shaved the heads to boost up the compression & port the upper & lower intake manifolds, i'll virtually have a 220kw xr8 but in a ghia, as i was going to buy an series 3 xr8 but thought if i buy an au3 ghia i''l have c/c a/c electric leather seats as standard, i not very kean on the 3 ugly dash switches in the middle of the dash to me it looks cheap & nasty

Why 'virtually' have that? It isn't like you could advertise it as having a 220kw engine unless you go and buy one, as it doesn't, no matter how close to specs you build it.

On the other hand you could spend close to the same amount and pull better numbers and have a better performing car than with a 220 engine. All this talk of stock cams and engine bits is giving me bad recollections of another build...

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

skidder wrote:
dean_hargreaves wrote:
i thought if i put in the 200kw cam, 1.72 y/t roller rockers, shaved the heads to boost up the compression & port the upper & lower intake manifolds, i'll virtually have a 220kw xr8 but in a ghia, as i was going to buy an series 3 xr8 but thought if i buy an au3 ghia i''l have c/c a/c electric leather seats as standard, i not very kean on the 3 ugly dash switches in the middle of the dash to me it looks cheap & nasty

Why 'virtually' have that? It isn't like you could advertise it as having a 220kw engine unless you go and buy one, as it doesn't, no matter how close to specs you build it.

On the other hand you could spend close to the same amount and pull better numbers and have a better performing car than with a 220 engine. All this talk of stock cams and engine bits is giving me bad recollections of another build...

Yes, I hear you skidder! dean_hargreaves, if you go through the Garage on this Forum, have a look for t2te50's thread. I think his build is pretty much what you're talking about here, although he had to go through it a couple of times.

If you just want a 220 engine in your Ghia, then just chuck the 200 cam in it and do what you've planned. You should be looking at the same power then. But if you don't want to be disappointed with the end result, you may want to be looking at the aftermarket cam. I know that all those cams suggested above do perform well, but how do they run on the stock tune? Something else that may need to be taken into consideration.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:00 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

hey i know i'll be looking at round 220-240 fkw, but i'll be keeping the car for a very long time, plus i'll be getting it custom flash tune [max power in a safe limits of the engine], if i wanted a quik car i'll buy a typhoon then spend 3 grand on that. i just want some more power out the old 5ltr

take life as it comes, life was'nt ment to be easy

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF XR8 347

Power: 232 rwkw

WA, Australia

Mr. Hargreaves, my advice is to listen to what the guys here have to say and recommend. You will be better of in the long run and will have better bang for buck. T2TE50 tried to do what you are intending to do, and failed miserably because he didn't heed the advice of these guys. (Click here to check it out) Spent over $10,000 on his build and still ended up with a gutless road slug. Keeping the car for a long time is cool, the combos recommended here are solid and reliable because they are tried and tested. There will be no reliability issues at all. s**t, I rebuilt my 5L windsor into a 347 with GT40ps worked to the max and I use it as a daily driver. Doesn't miss a beat!

:)

347 XR8 Build Thread

Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Ultimately, it's your decision. We're not trying to force anything down your throat, but going by experience, once you get a bit more power, you're going to want more again. It's a bug that keeps rearing its ugly head. If you're getting it tuned then the aftermarket cam is definately a no-brainer. May as well leave the stock cam in there and do the RRs, porting and get it tuned. You're guaranteed more power by just doing these things alone.

I'm beginning to wonder... t2's name wouldn't happen to be Dean, would it?

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

I've got 196rwkw with the following mods to my EL XR8

24lb injectors.
70mm TB
75mm EL GT MAF
GT40P heads, cam and 1.72 rr from AU 220 XR8
Race series under drives
Match ported Explorer manifold.
Switch Chip Eliminator custom tune on Ultimate 98.

I'd see well over 200rwkw if I got a different cam and upgrade my exhaust.

But my engine is currently pretty much just an AU 220 XR8 with a dizzy instead of coil packs.

Down low it feels a bit doughy because the TB is probably just a little too big. But with a bigger/better cam in it I can make more use of the area of the TB.

Oh yeah THREADMINE!!!

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3