Fordmods Logo

cylinder heads 

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Well, intakes is a different matter again.. Wait to see what this BBK will be like I reckon.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

your saying that theafr's would be no good on the fairlane? interesting.

but no u r quite right in saying i want torque cause the fairlane does weight in a bit at around 1800 with driver .
in terms of minifolds i might even get that cobra off mr landau if he has it in the future .
i remember a post about manifolds and i think it was mrl that showed a pic of this new trick manifold?

cheers[/quote]

NO I'm not saying AFR are no good, they are bloody terrific! That doesn't mean any other type is hopeless either..
If you are going to use a Cobra inlet just use GT40P heads...
It's all in the combination, Ford inlets are lucky to flow more than 200 cfm p/p.So fitting heads on there that flow over 250 or so would be over the top...Keep in mind the TE50 have 240 rwkw with GTP heads ported alittle....Any after market head flows better than std GTp's... Thats were I'm comeing from...Holley, Edelbrock,[& others] especially one step up from base head is very good, better valve springs etc...The TFS package wouldn't be that much more than AFR heads alone...Value for money
wise... A 3.7 final drive would go great with the extra weight and better breathing induction....

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

If you are deadly serious about making power and wanting room for improvement, forget afr,trickflow,edelbrock etc for $1000 more you can get yourself a pair of used "Yates" heads from brad jones racing. They are a superior set of heads.

Refer to Ford Forums in the windsor section you will find the post and a contact number.

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Afr and trickflow are the newest design in sbf heads. They are both excellent products and used by many people and produce the goods time and time again.

I am running windsor snr's which are very old design and they are not very favoured (with good reason,as per my first paragraph) but they still make very comparable power(in similar engine combinations) with the likes of afr ,trickflow etc

Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NC II Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Dave wrote:
If you are deadly serious about making power and wanting room for improvement, forget afr,trickflow,edelbrock etc for $1000 more you can get yourself a pair of used "Yates" heads from brad jones racing. They are a superior set of heads.

Refer to Ford Forums in the windsor section you will find the post and a contact number.

considering the afr cost 3g brand new and these yates heads cost4g second hand id say they want to be good.but a bit out of my price range.

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Now with el thermos fitted.

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yates makes the H.P Ford heads!!!!
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/pa ... Field=1271

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's

Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:36 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

you want a comparison of the heads that shows power & torque, not just flow?
sit down with your favourite beverage and read these.

http://www.airflowresearch.com/ go to the articles page, scroll down to the bottom and notice the Ultimate Guide to 5.0 Cylinder Heads. Heads are put into similar performance groups. Parts 1,3,5 & 7 have flow. parts 2,4,6 & 8 have power & torque results. enjoy.

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

one more quick qyestion will all these mods run on lpg?
if yes i think i might make the car dedicated gas
cheers

"Looking at cleavage is like looking at the sun. You don't stare at it. It's too risky. You get a sense of it and then you look away."

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:03 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

LPG? yes, but with a very big BUT! it depends on what lpg system you plan to run & what alterations you plan on making (cam, comp, intake etc) to suit the characteristics of the fuel. the heads alone will not produce a street weapon, the whole package needs consideration (same applies to a petrol engine). lpg takes 7-8% of the volume in the intake if delivered upstream of the plenum (as many systems do). read http://www.gas-injection.com/index.html if you still want to use the eeciv (with a tweecer you'd have full control of the lpg) & keep the manifold volume just for air.
for some lpg basics read the first few posts here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=635 (sign in 1st)

personally i'm thinking of using (with best prices i found so far) a holley systemax II intake ($1090) or rpm II ($1103) with the GTi lpg, tweecer ($800), trickflow stage 2 cam ($345), 1.6 rockers, edelbrock rpm 2.02 heads ($2076), & 347ci ($1700). im hoping for around 590nm @ 4900rpm & 340kw/450hp @ 6000rpm at the fly. If it were a 5L tho, same list but i'd use the std rpm intake (longer runners=more torque) stage 1 trickflow cam (or similar) 1.72 rockers, 1.90 edelbrock efi heads (or holley for more average torque, but shave heads for more comp) & notch pistons only if necessary. i'd want around 500nm @ 4300rpm & 285kw/380hp @ 6000rpm at the fly with said parts, but do your own research to see if you think this is likely.

to answer the first question, based on price, & the extremely close results in the ultimate 5.0 guide, i think edelbrock are best value ($2100 ish depending on exact model), closely followed by holley's 17 degree heads, 1.90 or 2.02 ($2143). their std spring packages are far superior in terms of max lift and valvetrain weight and require no further $$$ to rev past 5800rpm, unlike afr's, making the price difference to 165's or 185's enough to by the intake!

Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

sam12h wrote:
LPG? yes, but with a very big BUT! it depends on what lpg system you plan to run & what alterations you plan on making (cam, comp, intake etc) to suit the characteristics of the fuel. the heads alone will not produce a street weapon, the whole package needs consideration (same applies to a petrol engine). lpg takes 7-8% of the volume in the intake if delivered upstream of the plenum (as many systems do). read http://www.gas-injection.com/index.html if you still want to use the eeciv (with a tweecer you'd have full control of the lpg) & keep the manifold volume just for air.
for some lpg basics read the first few posts here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=635 (sign in 1st)

personally i'm thinking of using (with best prices i found so far) a holley systemax II intake ($1090) or rpm II ($1103) with the GTi lpg, tweecer ($800), trickflow stage 2 cam ($345), 1.6 rockers, edelbrock rpm 2.02 heads ($2076), & 347ci ($1700). im hoping for around 590nm @ 4900rpm & 340kw/450hp @ 6000rpm at the fly. If it were a 5L tho, same list but i'd use the std rpm intake (longer runners=more torque) stage 1 trickflow cam (or similar) 1.72 rockers, 1.90 edelbrock efi heads (or holley for more average torque, but shave heads for more comp) & notch pistons only if necessary. i'd want around 500nm @ 4300rpm & 285kw/380hp @ 6000rpm at the fly with said parts, but do your own research to see if you think this is likely.

to answer the first question, based on price, & the extremely close results in the ultimate 5.0 guide, i think edelbrock are best value ($2100 ish depending on exact model), closely followed by holley's 17 degree heads, 1.90 or 2.02 ($2143). their std spring packages are far superior in terms of max lift and valvetrain weight and require no further $$$ to rev past 5800rpm, unlike afr's, making the price difference to 165's or 185's enough to by the intake!

ok,now with this lpg injection with the eeciv controlling it would i need a maf and all that other stuff as with the normal lpg setup u dont.

if i can get over 200rwkw from about 7g including fitting unless someone up in newy can do it cheap ill be happy as i dont want a full blown street machine cause i want to retain the cruser charecteristics of the fairlane but get rid of the floater suspention though
cheers

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

hey guys tell us what u think of these prices from hpw

DONALD,
THE PART YOU QUOTED I DONT KEEP IN STOCK BUT WHAT I DO HAVE WHICH I THINK WILL SUIT YOU THE SAME IF NOT BETTER ARE A LINE OF TRICK FLOW PRODUCTS FOR THE 302W.

MOST POPULAR ARE THE "TWISTED WEDGE HEAD" P/No51400002, $2312
Inc Gst. HAVE IN STK.
ALSO TRICK FLOW HAVE AN EFI INLET MANIFOLD TO SUIT, P/No TFS51500001, $999 Inc. IN STK AS WELL.

TRICK FLOW HAVE ALSO DESIGNED A CAMSHAFT WHICH WORKS BEST WITH THIS COMBO, P/No TFS51402000, 221-225 @ .050", .499"-.510" LIFT.

UNFORTUNATLY THE CAM IS NIL STK UNTIL OUR NEXT
TRICK FLOW SHIPMENT, ARRIVES IN APPROX 3-3 1/2 WEEKS.

PRICE FOR LAST CAMSHAFT SOLD WAS $375 Inc. PRICE FOR CAM MAY VARY SLIGHTLY DUE TO US DOLLOR FLUCTUATION.

FOR MORE INFO ON THE TRICK FLOW PRODUCTS I 'VE QUOTED AND
MORE, JUMP ON www.TrickFlow.com AND CHECK IT OUT.
YOU SHOULD FIND ALL THE ABOVE PARTS BY P/No ON THERE AND LOOK AT ALL THE SPEC'S YOU NEED TO KNOW

Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Try these guys then..In Minto...

www.austrackmotorsport.com.au

As in ZOOM 126 edition

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:06 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

you want 200 rwkw from 5L with street driveability and an old school lpg setup? can be done, but the 7g will need to be spent very wisely. get non-emission heads (like track heat TFS-51400010, or edelbrock rpm) as the egr will be redundant without eeciv. the trickflow stage 1 cam is good for 208 rwkw on an auto au 5L with 24lb injectors (std on au i believe), street heat inlet, 165 heads and 1.72 rockers. this was in ford performance magazine last year. i think HPW supplied the parts to the car owner for cost in exchange for the research value gained. this setup colud be improved upon, or at least equalled with less $$$.
firstly: there are better inlets than trickflow (systemax II & rpm or rpm II, see http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.com/media/intake1.htm & http://mustang50magazine.com/techarticl ... ock_intake ). this is one area where a good compromise can be made, but the cam makes the biggest difference to the engine's power/torque characteristics. go too big on the cam and the low rpm response will dissapear (stg 1 you want is fine). why use an efi intake with old school lpg though? if you want the torque of long runners, use the HO upper with a holley systemax lower (300-73S). you want power, go for a carby inlet manifold (e.g. vic jr.). if you want both, bite the bullet and use the Gti system with a systemax II or rpm II inlet, with tweecer & associated efi sensors inc maf. power & driveability, what more could you want?
second: if you insist on old lpg tech, another option for having both low and high rpm use is to stroke. more cubes = more torque. torque x rpm = power. torque in a tank (nc) = better acceleration. more $$$ though.
$2kish on lpg, $1600ish on 347, $375 on cam, $400ish on rpm type carby manifold, $2100ish on rpm heads, $500ish on decent extractors. there is your 7k. adds up quick, don't it?
sorry to babble but it's late.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:38 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Out of interest, could there not be better value for money in doing some work to a pair of GT40P heads?

I've heard that ported GT40P's will well outflow alot of commonly used aftermarket heads.. I know its a different story if we start porting aftermarket gear, but who's got the money for that after paying $2-4k on heads.

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Waggin wrote:
Out of interest, could there not be better value for money in doing some work to a pair of GT40P heads?

I've heard that ported GT40P's will well outflow alot of commonly used aftermarket heads.. I know its a different story if we start porting aftermarket gear, but who's got the money for that after paying $2-4k on heads.

when u have e7 heads its not worth porting them, as well u might get better flow from ported gt40's than stock aftermarket heads but say u want to go bigger in the future, u dont have that luxary of saying there is more work in the heads if they are already ported to max flow.
cheers

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next