Fordmods Logo

How do you double clutch? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED V8

WA, Australia

bowsaw wrote:
No point in it at all, unless your car weighs 10 tonne, pullin 3 , doin a dollar ten down sesame street., pointless fast and furious crap.

Especially in an EF2 Fairmont Ghia Auto!!!!!!!

lol

ED XR8 Spri-mitatio-nt

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Fairlane Ghia

WA, Australia

philaddis wrote:
bowsaw wrote:
No point in it at all, unless your car weighs 10 tonne, pullin 3 , doin a dollar ten down sesame street., pointless fast and furious crap.

lol

Is that why it dont work??? :roll: but it says 1 2 3!!!

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

bowsaw wrote:
philaddis wrote:
bowsaw wrote:

lol

Is that why it dont work??? :roll: but it says 1 2 3!!!

That's just stupid! We all know that you put the car into R for Racer!

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

D for Drag

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

philaddis wrote:
Double clutching or rev matching is a sound principal to employ when making a down change from an already moderate engine speed. ie 3rd to second at 70 k's whilst driving hard.

I have never ever heard of rev matching hurting synchro's at all? You are essentially just assisting them in thier job and as long as you are not placing any pressure on the shifter whilst adjusting revs, how are the synchro's being effected?

My two cents!

Well with a syncro gearbox unless you are getting the speeds matched you are only increasing the gear set speed which the syncro has to slow down so that it allows the dog teeth to mesh, how do you know you are getting it right as syncros are still doing their job no matter what you think, get it wrong and the syncro rings just increase wear until it is totally necessary to have to double clutch and then you will find out it is harder to match speeds.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission6.htm

Quote:
By rev matching you limit weight transferance due to more even engine braking and also limit the chance of a compression lock-up.

Yeah I would agree with this, light weight flywheels/high compression and/or very light weight over rear wheels causes this problem a lot, people with thumper motorbikes etc (XR600 etc) would know this problem well. This type of rev matching however is not double clutching.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

blackjack_original wrote:
People in fiats usually do it because the first geah isn't sincroed. actually i don't know about all fiats, but my 500 and 650 and 126's of my friends you had to do it. If you didn't double clutch you couldn't put it in first unless the car has completley stopped.

Yeah a lot of old three speeds were the same, my Nan's old 200ci three on the tree XY was a 60km (40+mph) plus first gear (at full song) and for some reason it was non syncro first (XY was supposed to be syncro first) so when being young and very stupid, flogging it you had to double clutch to get it into first. (This car did not handle at all)

I had to buy a few rear tyres for it over the years and not tell Nan, hmm plus the ones she replaced and thought it was funny how they weren't lasting on the front (I got sick of swapping rears to the front and other side).

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

I suppose this is in relation to the discussion - but heard of a truck driver only being licenced to drive a truck with 'syncro automatic'. Whats this? It sounds like a manual without a clutch is it?

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Futura

SA, Australia

I think double clutching isn't required nowadays in world of synchomesh gearboxes. I guess in large trucks you still need to.

The only thing I do close to double cluthing is give my throttle a tap on downshifts (with the clutch fully in still) to help pick the revs up to match them better, and to sound cool :)

5 Speed EL Futura
Stock as a rock*
A1 Oils - Synthetic lubricants: www.a1oils.com.au
* A rock that has been Alted

Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

AXR88U wrote:
You can rev match your change with out doing the double shuffle, its just meant for really heavy duty (truck) gearboxes.

Yep, you can match the revs, but the gearbox itself doesnt change. When shifting in trucks, the clutch is let out to engage the front shaft and motor together. That way, when the motor speed is changed, the front shaft in the gearbox changes with it, and as the road speed doesnt change due to the gearbox being in neutral, the gears can be meshed.

falconboy wrote:
I suppose this is in relation to the discussion - but heard of a truck driver only being licenced to drive a truck with 'syncro automatic'. Whats this? It sounds like a manual without a clutch is it?

Some of the newer European trucks like Scania and Volvo come out with synchro gearboxes. If you get your license in a synchroed box, you cant drive a non synchro.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
Some of the newer European trucks like Scania and Volvo come out with synchro gearboxes. If you get your license in a synchroed box, you cant drive a non synchro.

I didn't know that, that would be National too as all truck licences are National unlike car etc.

Worse thing about those synchro boxes is most of them are slow engage the gears and a lot of them are air assisted so you can't hurry them along, to make things worse those same European s**t boxes (Volvo, Scania etc, the only good thing out of Sweden is blonde female backpackers) need quick gear changes because of small torque range, small capacity and large turbo makes for good fuel economy and high horse power on paper but it is totally a bastard to drive them.

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Exactly. The american and Australian horsepower, while lower, seems far more workable than the european. Seeing as im only 17, Ive never driven a truck down the highway, so cant give an unbiased view, but from what ive seen, the 14 speed spicer seems like the way to go. Not too hard to figure out, and far less stick shifts. Which can only be a good thing :P

Any other truck drivers preferences?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Andrew J wrote:
the 14 speed spicer seems like the way to go. Not too hard to figure out, and far less stick shifts. Which can only be a good thing :P

Any other truck drivers preferences?

Less the better I reckon, I sometimes forget what gear I am in, and when the shifter linkages are R/S it isn't fun guessing.

I drove a s**t Volvo 6 speed (three speed with high and low range) dump truck recently with gear splitter, talk about not fun, with a 15t+ load of slush/mud/rock, having to use first low in low split, then high split, flick back to low split while changing to second low and to do this all the way to 1st high, then dump the load to turn around and do it all over again and again. I would be lucky to get to 45kph on most runs and I was flogging the ring out of it.

Again I will say, the only things that should come out of Sweden is hot nude loving blonde backpackers.

Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

yea, the volvo box is an absolute bastard of a thing, i've had to do a bit of pad work with a twin steer FL10 with a 10 speed (i think..... never got above 30km on the pad.....)

wierd part is, several guys who have been truckies all thier lives reckon the mack 15 speed is the biggest bastard second only to road ranger gearboxes, but apart from the occasional balky shifter, i find the macks the easiest to drive

as for the national licences, you only get a federal licence if you want one, and apply/sit the test for one...... not really necessary cos you can drive trucks anywhere in australia on your state licence provided you have the appropriate qualifications

Banned

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next