Fordmods Logo

Different Diff Types Explained 

Page 8 of 14 [ 203 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next

Post subject: Re: Different Diff Types Explained
Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Greenmachine wrote:
With 3.08 you'll be on 2000rpm at 100kph - and with 3.45 that will go to a tad over 2200rpm at 100kph (that's in 4th Manual AND 4th Auto). So I guess 3.7 would take you to a bit over 2400rpm which is much better IMO and would be much more driveable and perform better.

??

Wrong.

With 3.23s and a T5 its 2000rpm @ 100km
With 3.45s and a T5 its 2200rpm @ 100km
In fifth.

In 4th your nearly at 3000rpm at 100km with 3.45s.

Auto is about 2k @ 1000 with 3.45s.

Yep - sorry about that - I think you might be quite right - I was pulling those figures out of my (a***?) memory which evidently wasn't reliable (speedo in the ED hasn't actually worked for years - worm gear clip in the extension housing has popped off). Without speedo, I find that general traffic speed in 60 zone equates to about 1700rpm in 4th (5th is unusable at that low a speed unless absolutely flat or downhill) - which can extend out to maybe 1900 rpm - which I assume equates to about 70kph - and in 80 zone I shift to 5th at 2200rpm or so which again drops me back to 1700rpm or so flowing with traffic - which can extend to 1900 - 2000 at times which I've taken to equate to about 90.

The point is that I got no really useful change in performance by going from 3.08 to 3.45 - certainly made no noticeable difference to initial acceleration rate and really think it was a waste of money and effort - 3.7 would be more useful and the way I'd go if I had the option again.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

so basically the differece is more pick up less top speed with a higher ratio

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yep - more revs for any given speed - which is most significant in first (ie. off the line) - your engine will have more mechanical advantage - in real terms it's almost like increasing the power of the engine.

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Lovely been wanting to upgrade ny el mont manual to lsd for drags reckon ill go up to 3.73.1 gears shouldn't be more than $1500 around adelaide surely

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

You'd find of course that going even further to 4.11 would be better but then you can run into driveability issues and cruise speed issues (ie. revs uncomfortably high at 120kph or so even in 5th). As I said, I noticed no difference in off the line performance going from 3.08 to 3.45. It did make midrange more driveable - which I think would be even more improved with 3.73 without overly affecting cruise and top speed.

I've been thinking about it and to be honest, my biggest problem for fast takeoffs with the btr 5spd and 3.45 diff is the dropdown from first to second (second is actually too high) - so in addition to the improved pull from standstill, that 1st - 2nd change will be improved with 3.73 which would be avery good thing.

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah 3.73 sounds good for me because its my daily driver plus it will be seeing some occasional trips down the 1/8th mile but I also use it to travel to adelaide for tafe so 3.73 sounds just right ill post on here how much it costs me. Sick of my single spinner its embarrasing to take off with my little 205's I was gona get some 18s first but im startin to think I might get the diff first and have a little fun

Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:39 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EFII V8 MONT EL MONT + V8 LAIN

VIC, Australia

Hi all im in need of help with working out my diff cant work out if its a single spiner or lsd its in a efII v8 mont tag on the filler has highperforance with yellow sticker on right hand side of axle shaft 3.23.1 4wd if anyone can help that would be great thanx :?:

Well f**k me side ways i managed to make oompa loompa :lol:

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:25 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 96 EF Ghia wagon

Power: 122 rwkw

SA, Australia

anthrax654321, just took pics of mine & on the diff filler bolt tag next to where it says high performance it also says LSD. This is on a Aug 96 EFII mont wagon. The yellow axle sticker says 3.23.
Hope that helps. Cheers.

Attachments:
3.23 LSD EFII (1).JPG
3.23 LSD EFII (1).JPG [ 126.96 KiB | Viewed 292 times ]
3.23 LSD EFII.JPG
3.23 LSD EFII.JPG [ 119.14 KiB | Viewed 287 times ]

Stock as a Rock engine option 'Z'
302 V8 auto on LPG @ 210,00km
- 121.7 rwkW / 163.3 rwHP

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:28 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EFII V8 MONT EL MONT + V8 LAIN

VIC, Australia

thanx 96efghiawagon will have to look at that tag again

Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

It sounds like it'll be LSD. As a matter of interest (this one makes me laugh when I hear about people changing engines in 6 cyl Fairmonts) - it's my understanding 6 cyl fairmonts have XR6 engine - don't know if 8cyl 'monts therefore have XR8 engines. And evidently from what you guys are seeing it looks like they have other goodies such as LSD in addition to premium sound, electric windows, climate control etc....

This is a BIG tangent, but the one that's totally insane but happened a lot back when they were still considered junk cars: Commodore SV5000's were actually fitted with VERY tricked out engines. Those engines were built by Walkinshaw in the UK, were FULLY blueprinted and had stuff like full balancing, eccentric piston rings (ie. so the pistons run centred in the bores), tricked out heads (I think they had roller rockers tho not sure about that). They were basically built for racing - ie. made to rev and rev WELL and make big power at high revs - which unfortunately was totally lost on the average yobbo who's never had an engine below 4.2 litre capacity and then never revved it above 4000rpm. Apparently there is a jumper wire in the ecu which when cut raises the rev limit from about 5 or 6000 to something insane like 8000. I laugh my a*** off when I see stuff online about d--k heads replacing their original SV5000 engine with a "fooley sic moit" worked donk whot's dyno'd at 350hp. They just chucked out a freakin 500bhp + race built performance engine!!! (but the new fully sick one makes more torque at 2000rpm so they're happy).

Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

bloody hell just got two quotes in adelaide for the upgrade to 3.37 and lsd... once place was 2900 drive in drive out and the other place was 2100 drive in drive out omg

Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

new LSD will be $550, new diff gears will be $550

then some new bearings so add another $200 (?? thats over estimating) then add on maybe $500 labour. I wouldnt pay more than $1800 all up.

try sourcing the parts yourself, then get quotes for labour. This mob advertise on ebay alot and should get the above mentioned parts for the prices i estimated

http://www.gjdiffs.com.au/gears.asp

Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

its for a full recon. and all new bearings and seals and check axel straightness supply and fit parts

Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

oh so you already got LSD and you just want it reco'd ??

those quotes of $2100 and $2900 are insane...... the later quote you could get a new KAAZ & diff gears fitted lol !!

Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

sorry its for a upgrade to lsd with 3.73 gears and axels checked and bearings plus labour 2100. with the diff in car or if i pull it out 1800. but then i have to put it on a pallet and send it up to adelaide so itll prob be 100 each way

Sort by  
 Page 8 of 14  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next