Fordmods Logo

Different Diff Types Explained 

Page 11 of 14 [ 203 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post subject: Re: Different Diff Types Explained
Posted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL fairmont

NSW, Australia

My Au forte v8 1998 has live axle LSD unsure of diff ratio. however the diff is moaning and whining time for recondition...

any advice or rough price's people have paid on there diff rebuilds? am thinking if i going that far going 3.7 gear ratio. should be nice.

Post subject: Re:
Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:31 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: ef futura

WA, Australia

voxace wrote:
What's the go with 3.08 diffs in EF/EL's. Are the housings smaller or something?
I want to fit a 3.27 LSD centre from an EB into an EF with 3.08 single spinner. Possible?

good question

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:42 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1999 AU1 5L Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

just to completely clarify, what woudl be the ideal model car for me to get a diff centre from? 1999 au1 fairmont ghia with irs, pretty sure its a 3.23 or 3.45 single spinner.
would it be wiser just to get an lsd centre? or just to buy the whole housing + centre off a certain model xr6?

what would the price of it roughly be?
cheers

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:21 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

benckie wrote:
voxace wrote:
What's the go with 3.08 diffs in EF/EL's. Are the housings smaller or something?
I want to fit a 3.27 LSD centre from an EB into an EF with 3.08 single spinner. Possible?

good question

The housings are all identical... 3.08 ratio gives the best final drive for the best fuel efficiency... Remember all cars are designed to be most fuel efficient at around 100 to 110km/hr so knowing this, the manufacturer knows which rpm it must be... Knows the final ratio of the gearbox, and hence picks the diff to suit...

3.08 to 3.45 is not that many more teeth... I have never counted the teeth, and you can't have .08 of a tooth, it must be a whole number... so if you do the maths... the ratio 3.08:1 as two integers is 77:25 at the smallest... So I'd near say there would be 77 on the crown and 25 on the pinion... and 3.45:1 as integers is 69:20 at smallest... Therefore all in all there is actually less teeth in a 3.45 ratio diff This doesn't make the crown smaller, it makes the teeth wider to take up more space... So 8 teeth less on the crown and 5 less on the pinion...

For the sake of it, 4.11:1 doesn't simplify any further than 411:100 and this can't be right... Whereas 4.10:1 is 41:10 which doesn't seem enough teeth, so go one step back and you get 82:20 which might be close...?

99MONTY wrote:
just to completely clarify, what woudl be the ideal model car for me to get a diff centre from? 1999 au1 fairmont ghia with irs, pretty sure its a 3.23 or 3.45 single spinner.
would it be wiser just to get an lsd centre? or just to buy the whole housing + centre off a certain model xr6?

what would the price of it roughly be?
cheers

If you handy and can change the diff yourself... Get the whole thing... Your fairly limited with regard to model choices... You can only get a diff from AUI with IRS, AUII or AUIII... I somehow doubt it would be a 3.45 ss, never seen a factory ones of these before... It could be a 3.23 or something, but if auto, most likely a 3.08 due to the lower output shaft speed than the manual...

If you just buy a centre you have to a diff place to fit it... It requires a full set of shims to get it sitting right... and the collapsible washer on the pinion... A diff spreader, various scales and tools to set the face/flank, toe/heel, preload, and backlash in the diff... If you have the tools and the know how on how to set these up then get a centre, much cheaper and smaller to post... Otherwise a diff place is likely to change upwards of 500 bucks due to the time involved with chopping and changing shims to get the settings right......

At the end of the day its your call... I live 6hours from Sydney and LSD's are rare out here... I wasn't buying a centre due to not being confident enough to fit it and not having all the proper tools... So I went with a Lokka which goes inside a ss carrier (replaces the hemisphere in the centre), as such the carrier and the ratio don't change and no re-setting of those above mentioned settings needed... Just put it back together exactly as it came to bits...

Goodluck...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:40 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1999 AU1 5L Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

alright, are you positive about only being able to get it from an auI/II/III? e series have the same diffs as au's apparantly, the centres will just go straight in. does the donor car have to have irs for it to fit in mine or is that just completely disregarded?

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:30 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Brett would be more help here...

My understanding... If your swapping a whole diff... You will require a IRS diff (only in AU's)... If your only swapping the centre, then yes I do believe a centre from an E series will go into a AUI IRS diff...

E series (other than same centre) are live axle and not IRS and the whole diff will not be a direct swap...

But again a centre will require a diff place to put in...

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:
Brett would be more help here...

My understanding... If your swapping a whole diff... You will require a IRS diff (only in AU's)... If your only swapping the centre, then yes I do believe a centre from an E series will go into a AUI IRS diff...

E series (other than same centre) are live axle and not IRS and the whole diff will not be a direct swap...

But again a centre will require a diff place to put in...

I'm here.

If you have a live axle AU diff, the only difference between an EF/L diff is the length. With an IRS diff, the centres out of a live axle WILL FIT. If anyone tells you they do not, they are full of s**t.

Doing a hemisphere swap on an IRS diff is easy. I have a spare at home, so I'll do a tech doc on hemisphere swap in an IRS.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

Hi while you's were talking about diffs, i gotta ask, if a car with an open ended 3.23 geared diff went down a 1/4mile in 15sec, how much faster would it be in a car with 3.45 LSD? or alterativly same senario but 0-100kph? is the diff gears really that different, or important in take off? or speed over distance of a 1/4 mile

Now, I've got a message for all the other drivers out there. If you smell a delicious, crispy smell after the race, it's not your tailpipe. It's just a little of Shake...and Bake!
SHAKE AND BAKE

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: '05 5.4L BA MK2 XT

NSW, Australia

Also another point not covered (atleast as far in this thread as I covered)
The existence of so called 'High Performance' Single Spinner diffs...

Don't laugh, I hadn't heard of anything like this before, I asked a wrecker to supply me with a 3.45:1 LSD diff, full hub to hub, and on the 3rd attempt I gave up and accepted what he sent me, which turns out to be a single spinner diff, but it has a ford tag over the diff oil hole that says 'HIGH PERFORMANCE DIFF OIL ONLY'

Its been some time since I've looked it over, but from memory the conclusion that I came to was that it is an open wheeling 3.45 diff from an ED era Fairlane ghia, I think it would have been an NC?...
(I Base that on that I went to the wreckers and watched them remove it from a boxcar Fairlane ghia, Stuffs me why its not an LSD like it should be...)
Don't think these were covered?
I still never understood what was supposed to be so high performance about this diff, and it certainly isn't the LSD I asked/paid for (EDIT: I should probably not mention where I got it..)

(Either that or they poached the LSD centre out before they sold me the full hub to hub LSD... hmm)

Last edited by Ace on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

or the clutches have completely s**t themselves?

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ace wrote:

Don't laugh, I hadn't heard of anything like this before, I asked a wrecker to supply me with a 3.45:1 LSD diff, full hub to hub, and on the 3rd attempt I gave up and accepted what he sent me, which turns out to be a single spinner diff, but it has a ford tag over the diff oil hole that says 'HIGH PERFORMANCE DIFF OIL ONLY'

Its been some time since I've looked it over, but from memory the conclusion that I came to was that it is an open wheeling 3.45 diff from an ED era Fairlane ghia, I think it would have been an NC?...
(I Base that on that I went to the wreckers and watched them remove it from a boxcar Fairlane ghia, Stuffs me why its not an LSD like it should be...)
I still never understood what was supposed to be so high performance about this diff, and it certainly isn't the LSD I asked/paid for (EDIT: I should probably not mention where I got it..)

(Either that or they poached the LSD centre out before they sold me the full hub to hub LSD... hmm)

A high performance diff is a 4 pinion centre, an LSD will have Spin Resistant diff on the tag.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:
You can only get a diff from AUI with IRS, AUII or AUIII... I somehow doubt it would be a 3.45 ss, never seen a factory ones of these before... It could be a 3.23 or something, but if auto, most likely a 3.08 due to the lower output shaft speed than the manual...

3.45 ss diffs are in AUs.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 12:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
timmytimtim wrote:
You can only get a diff from AUI with IRS, AUII or AUIII... I somehow doubt it would be a 3.45 ss, never seen a factory ones of these before... It could be a 3.23 or something, but if auto, most likely a 3.08 due to the lower output shaft speed than the manual...

3.45 ss diffs are in AUs.

anything VCT got IRS, which standard was 3.45ss, LSD was an option, so yes, AU got 3.45ss

Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: '05 5.4L BA MK2 XT

NSW, Australia

67RCE wrote:
Ace wrote:

A high performance diff is a 4 pinion centre, an LSD will have Spin Resistant diff on the tag.

Yes that's right, its a 4-pinion single spinner...
Advantages over normal s/s ??

Posted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ace wrote:
67RCE wrote:
Ace wrote:

Yes that's right, its a 4-pinion single spinner...
Advantages over normal s/s ??

4 pinion diffs were in EB-AU. Some EB1's and all EA's got 2 pinion diffs which are weaker.

Sort by  
 Page 11 of 14  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next