Fordmods Logo

Different Diff Types Explained 

Page 12 of 14 [ 203 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post subject: Re: Different Diff Types Explained
Posted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU falcon

VIC, Australia

i have a set of 3.45 from an EBII gears to put in my AUIII when i put my lsd in.
will these fit and also what gears come std with an AUIII forte 5sp? live axle 6cyl

Au factory 5sp, rolling on 20'z, full custom extractors, redback cat and back. has a new motors, only 27,000ks

Welcome to Toongabbie motorsports :P

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Ok im trying to find out after reading almost 10 pages can i use a XF/ZL fairlane LSD center and axles in my ed diff or is a XF diff compatable with a ED sedan ? (im changing diff gears and want to keep car on road as long as possible before i do the change?)

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

EDXR6-Poly wrote:
Ok im trying to find out after reading almost 10 pages can i use a XF/ZL fairlane LSD center and axles in my ed diff or is a XF diff compatable with a ED sedan ? (im changing diff gears and want to keep car on road as long as possible before i do the change?)

No. It's probably best to get a cheap diff to put together.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Hmmm ok just that my current diff is making bad clicking noises when i turn left and right round corners?

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2001 AU falcon

VIC, Australia

Hey guys i am looking at getting an lsd 3.45 gears for my series 2 AU falcon with standard single spinner diff and my mate told me that i would need to get my speedo recalibrate and i was just wondering if this would be the case??????????

Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:03 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

you change wheel circumference, final drive ratio, or anything else of this nature... The yes your speedo will no longer be accurate... You can change the gear on the speedo drive to the one for 3.45 diff gears, put an electronic adjuster in the line or just learn to live it and remember how far its out...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:15 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

so what would you recommend i do? the full axle is gunna be 500$ how much will a speedo corrector cost and would i have to get a tuner to install it and how much will that cost lol

Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

are the gears coming out of an XR? get them to pull the gear off the end of the speedo drive... You can install it yourself... The speedo drive is in the back end of the gear box... They are colour coded... I did see a list once upon a time... not sure what colour the 3.45 one is now... If not chase someone wrecking a car with 3.45 gear fitted factory and steal the gear off that... its not going to put it a massive way...

Easiest way is to deal with it. Get a GPS and go out the road... Get the GPS to say 100km/hr and then remember where that is on your instrument cluster... No instrument cluster is accurate anyway... they have 10% tolerence... so at 100km/hr your not guaranteed to be doing 100... your guaranteed to be doing between 90 and 110... :shock:

my 100km/hr point is about 103 or 104... my g/f's fiesta (06 model) is about 106... this way manufactures can say when your think your doing 100 your actually not speeding... you might be mid 90's... or jaycar do a kit form electric speedo corrector... buy and built it and install yourself... This will allowyou to dial it in spot on if you so see fit...

BA/BF/FG models can be adjusted with the diagnostic gear... There speedo is driven off the ABS sensors so there is no speedo gear or drive... So the only adjustment is through the computer... Not sure whether the AU can be adjusted through the diagnostic gear or not... Couldn't hurt to ask Ford... might cost you a couple of hours labour for a mechanic to correct it, if it is possible...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

yeah its just im tossing up between the lsd and the cms head and cam kit and im starting to head in the direction of the cam kit cause it just seems simpler lol

Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU falcon

VIC, Australia

DormanAU wrote:
i have a set of 3.45 from an EBII gears to put in my AUIII when i put my lsd in.
will these fit and also what gears come std with an AUIII forte 5sp? live axle 6cyl

can anyone answer this?

Au factory 5sp, rolling on 20'z, full custom extractors, redback cat and back. has a new motors, only 27,000ks

Welcome to Toongabbie motorsports :P

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:02 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

timmy1300000 wrote:
yeah its just im tossing up between the lsd and the cms head and cam kit and im starting to head in the direction of the cam kit cause it just seems simpler lol

there is a bit of work in setting up diff gears to run right... Bit of hard yakka in changing a head if your new to it as well, and setting up the cam too... I'm yet to discover exactly how hard that is... Waiting for the old to find his dial indicators which went missing from his work... Will get there one day...

DormanAU wrote:
DormanAU wrote:

can anyone answer this?

my manual I believe has around a 3.27 ratio diff (from research) as far as I'm aware the gears are all the same... at least to AUI anyway... really can't confirm with an AUIII

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EF xr8

WA, Australia

i might be getting some 3.45s for my efxr8 lsd. It has 3.23 but it been hurt so i need a rebuild. how much should it cost for a rebiuld???, i already have the new gears

Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

The diff place in wagga quoted me around 3 or 400 for a centre change...

Trouble is the time consuming problem of setting them up right... I don't know... New bearings and clutches (if it needs them) could be what 1K? Maybe 1.5K? Thats what I'd except out here in country NSW I'd recon, might be cheaper in the cities due to more competition...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:31 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ED XR6

NSW, Australia

What is the ratio of an ED XR6 "Performance" LSD? I couldn't seem to find it on the tag on the diff.

Also how easy are these to replace or reco? The front diff seal is leaking where the yoke comes into it and it's fried the diff a bit. Starting to lose its locking capabilities on load.

1993 ED XR6 5spd/LSD
Mods:
148rwkw
Performance: Pacemaker Extractors, 2.5in exhaust and cat, simota inverted pod in a custom alloy box, Custom tuned 98oct J3 chip by TI Performance
Misc: DJR full bodykit, 17in ROH wheels, Cross drilled discs, Bendix Ultimate pads, CD stereo setup,

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

ED XR6's got 3.45 LSD's. Pinion seal isn't exactly something you can do at home. Not unless you have a new crush washer and all that junk. If the LSD isn't working properly, now is the time to either get it rebuilt, or upgrade to a mechanical centre.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Sort by  
 Page 12 of 14  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next