Fordmods Logo

Huuuuge clutch shudder with cushion button clutch!!! Normal? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Huuuuge clutch shudder with cushion button clutch!!! Normal?
Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Hey guys,
Over the weekend I installed my 3.45lsd and my EA T5 gearbox. While I was there I thought I might aswell upgrade my clutch to an Xtreme Cushion Button clutch to handle my future boost upgrades.

I have only done around 200km's in it so far but the amount of clutch shudder is phenominal!!! It shudders so much at low RPM that I think I will be changing engine mounts monthly!! I am really worried about breaking something. I had my flywheel machined and used the clutch aligning tool and torqued up the pressure plate to the correct torque settings.

So is this normal for a cushion button clutch? Did something go wrong with the install? How about you guys with the same clutch as me, do you have the same shudder?

The only thing I can think of that may cause a problem was that the clutch fork was quite easy to remove from the allen key bolt in the bell housing. I did however make sure it was positioned correctly before the gear box was placed in. You can tell when it falls out. I imagine now that there is pressure on it that it wouldnt fall out or cause any problems?

So should I be ripping this clutch out and seeing the person who machined my flywheel or the manufacturer? Or will it work itself out in time?

I appreciate all your help

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Post subject: Re: Huuuuge clutch shudder with cushion button clutch!!! Normal?
Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:28 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 2001 AU Ute

VIC, Australia

Not sure about cushion button, but I've had some minimal experience driving a car with a button clutch and the shudder was pretty bad at low rpm.

It's just the type of clutch, I think.
I stress the minimal, though, so be good if someone else could verify this xD

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:50 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I had to drive a gen3 ute with a button clutch, and in my opinion they're terrible.

The design is to be a performance clutch with a dampener to 'soften' the driveline.

Its pretty much designed to be on or off, not riding.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:55 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Ford EB GLI

VIC, Australia

Still dont understand why people bother running a button. Sorry mate but there just a C*** to drive!

EBT-747 -

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:26 am 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

There are plenty of options out there without needing to go down the button route.

Take a look at the offerings from Ace Clutch and McLeod Racing - they have twin plate clutches that will handle 1000HP+

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:26 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Thanks for your comments guys, I imagined I'd get a few "cushion button clutches are #@$%" lol. I only asked because I understood that they are very on/off. I have driven different skylines used for track which have button and cushion button clutches and they haven't shuddered at all!!! They were very on/off but didnt have the type of earthquake shudder I have at low rpm. I was just wondering if something went wrong with the install??? Or if thats just the way cushioned button clutches are.

There was a ford mods member on here I remember reading about who said that cushion button clutches are the perfect clutches for everything and he reckons he can even do towing and stuff with his. If i was to tow anything with my car atm it would probably shake it to pieces.

Maybe I just have to learn to up the revs and ride the clutch.....................

Anyone else out there have any more experience with cushion button clutches that they'd like to share their experience with?

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:33 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

WA, Australia

I have a cushion button clutch in mine with generally no issues, occasionally the odd shudder on slow take-offs ...but probably more to do with my rev-matching lol.

How far off the floor is your engagement point, have you adjusted the firewall bolts at all?

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd manual, with BF F6 TYPHOON motor and supporting mod's, 3" exhaust etc..
(298 rwkw @ 12 psi)

My car here: the-garage-f53/mark-s-el-xr6-bf-f6-dohc-transplant-in-progress-t106821.html
BF TYPHOON BOOSTED!!!

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:38 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Hey mark, I didnt bother adjusting the friction point with my clutch cable. It seemed fairly spot on to what I thought should be right. Its about 1/3 up the pedal. The other cushion button clutches I have driven have been right down the bottom of the pedal so as soon as you move your foot it almost stalls. Have the clutch incorrectly adjusted? Have I overlooked the importance of this?

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:58 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Well, mine's an EL ...but with mine I found that having the engagement point closer to the floor (1/3 and less) caused more shudder and didn't allow me to firmly & positively shift into gears.

I screwed the bolt(s) in at the firewall to bring the pedal & engagement point up to about 1/2, and it did make a difference to the shudder and shifting, basically allowing me more control at the 'clutch vs accelerator pedal' crossover point, and ensuring that the clutch is fully disengaged before the pedal gets close to the floor and a shift is made ...more a feel thing really, and you get used to it.

Dunno if that's of any help..

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd manual, with BF F6 TYPHOON motor and supporting mod's, 3" exhaust etc..
(298 rwkw @ 12 psi)

My car here: the-garage-f53/mark-s-el-xr6-bf-f6-dohc-transplant-in-progress-t106821.html
BF TYPHOON BOOSTED!!!

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:08 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Yeah, I get what your getting at Mark. Thats a good idea but thats more of a managing the shuddering type fix. I'm trying to solve the shuddering if that is at all possible. Shifting down and up gears isnt to much of a problem. Its more of a take off thing when you ride the clutch a bit to get the car moving. Or even driving up a steep driveway. My only hope at the moment is that the flywheel is still rather grippy due to it being machined. I am hoping that in time once it has worn down a bit it might get a bit better. How was yours when you first installed it?

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:21 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Couldn't tell you ...mine had already done 2000 k's before it went in, lol.

You might want to take a squizz at these..

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/v6- ... lutch.html

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/v8- ... udder.html

(298 rwkw @ 12 psi)

BF TYPHOON BOOSTED!!!

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:12 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: xr8 sprint

New Zealand

what was the state of the input bearing retainer,any gouges or damage to this wont help your cause.
also did you check the end play on the input shaft and output shaft before the install?

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Did you apply a little lube to the spline of the input shaft????..was the wear plate for the clutch fork ok ???....is the clutch fork cable insulator ok ???.....is the cable ok ????
Is the front bearing retainer ( throw-out bearing slides on it ) ok ????....no big gouges, divots, trenches in it ?????

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Hey guys. When i changed my clutch i replaced all the bearings and the rear main seal. (spigot bearing and thrust bearing). I didnt put any lube on the input shaft because i didnt want the grease to flick out onto the flywheel. My nephew who is a mechanic said that he never lubes the input shaft for this reason. I thought the lube only assisted in the initial install of the gearbox to make it slide in easier. i used the clutch alignment tool and the box slid in real easy.

Clutch fork wear plate???? What is this? I only had the clutch fork and the little allen key bolt . the fork did slide out from the bolt quite easy. when i installed the bellhousing the clutch fork did fall out and i had to poke it behind the allen key bolt again. Is there meant to be something holding the fork in??? If this was missing, would it cause my issue? i imagined once the fork was under pressure it would be okay?

Posted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:41 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: ef falon + xk falcon

QLD, Australia

Also might come down to where you have your seat it is harder to control a clutch when you have to fully extend your leg to get it to touch the floor I'm just under 6ft and my seat is just about as far forward as I can have it. I didn't believe it till I tried it

i hate it when its raining, makes my left foot slip off the clutch all the time

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next