Fordmods Logo

Mark's EL XR6 - BF F6 DOHC transplant in progress!! 

Page 1 of 10 [ 137 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Post subject: Mark's EL XR6 - BF F6 DOHC transplant in progress!!
Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:30 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

WA, Australia

Hi all,

I used to be a member on here a few years ago, with my Hot Chilli Red EL XR6 ...some of you may remember the car..

I've had her for nearly 7 years now, and love her to bits ...up until very recently she was equipped with a Jim Mock DEV 5, built by JMM themselves, and running a very healthy 171 rwkw, with my best 1/4 mile time in her being 14.59 @ 96 mph.

Without going into a whole heap of BS, here's some pics of how she's looked along the way..

When I first got her..

Rim change ...stayed like this for a while..

Modded the interior a little..

Then I despoilered her ...modified the Tail-lights, and painted the front Indicators..

Got some engine bling..

Then had some custom Airbrushing done (which I will be toning down very soon)..

Around about this time I found out that my marriage was not what it seemed, and so everything went deep south for nearly 3 years (divorce, s**t, lawyers, property settlements, you name it lol) :? ...but during this time I did lots of research on what I wanted to do with my car when I finally got out of the mess ...boost was always on the cards, but I needed to decide what & how :roll:

Fast forward to approximately 3 months ago, I was finally all done with everything, and walking away with money in the bank ...NOW I could do something!!!!

I had decided Turbo was the way forward, and toyed with the idea of boosting my DEV 5 SOHC engine ...but I really wanted something smoother, more reliable, and different.

I found a really good installer in NSW, hatched a plan ...and bought this from Darren at FTG..

57,000 K's, still running in a BF Tornado ute, with everything we needed ...too good to pass up :wink:

Soon enough, both the engine and my car were winging it over to NSW ...and this is what has happened so far, in some sort of order.. :wink:

Thanks for reading, sorry for the pic overload ...and I will keep you posted as things progress!!

Cheers, MARK :wink:

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd manual, with BF F6 TYPHOON motor and supporting mod's, 3" exhaust etc..
(298 rwkw @ 12 psi)

My car here: the-garage-f53/mark-s-el-xr6-bf-f6-dohc-transplant-in-progress-t106821.html
BF TYPHOON BOOSTED!!!

Last edited by markr1967 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Mark's EL XR6 - BF F6 engine transplant in progress!!
Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:57 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Just to summarise the plan & parts so far..

Complete BF Typhoon motor with ECU, looms & sensors ...all installed,
Initially running my EL T5 gearbox with AU Bellhousing & Cushion Button Clutch,
AVO Intercooler & Piping kit ...upgrade, but a factory look, with factory intake,
Ported wastegate housing, 11.8 psi actuator & Flapper mod,
Braided Turbo oil feed line with filter,
X-force 3.5" Dump pipe,
Process West stealth Surge Tank assembly with Bosch 044 fuel pump,
3" custom exhaust system in MS,
Going for a non-obvious, factory look ...most parts painted Black,
Injectors to be decided on Tune day.

Final tune will be done via XCal3 at CV Performance in Sydney ...estimating / hoping for a nice-driving, easy 300 rwkw or thereabouts ...obviously with the gearbox in mind, lol :lol:

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd manual, with BF F6 TYPHOON motor and supporting mod's, 3" exhaust etc..
(298 rwkw @ 12 psi)

My car here: the-garage-f53/mark-s-el-xr6-bf-f6-dohc-transplant-in-progress-t106821.html
BF TYPHOON BOOSTED!!!

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

car looks the goods, will be even better when you can enjoy it with the new motor and boost, are you keeping the t5 gearbox or fitting somthing stronger? like maybe t56 :P

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

just seen your update post :wink:

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:14 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

bry40l wrote:
car looks the goods, will be even better when you can enjoy it with the new motor and boost, are you keeping the t5 gearbox or fitting somthing stronger? like maybe t56 :P

Hey mate,

I'm keeping the T5 for now, and seeing how that holds up ...even some gearbox suppliers have suggested I stick with the T5, as I could be surprised at how it holds if I drive it sensibly.

I'm not a huge clutch-dumper anyway ...however, I'm too easily tempted into flogging Commos, lol 8-)

I have already looked into a Mal Wood TKO 600, or a C4 Auto ...both options if and when something s**t itself, lol :roll:

Cheers.

(298 rwkw @ 12 psi)

BF TYPHOON BOOSTED!!!

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

markr1967 wrote:
bry40l wrote:

Hey mate,

I'm keeping the T5 for now, and seeing how that holds up ...even some gearbox suppliers have suggested I stick with the T5, as I could be surprised at how it holds if I drive it sensibly.

I'm not a huge clutch-dumper anyway ...however, I'm too easily tempted into flogging Commos, lol 8-)

I have already looked into a Mal Wood TKO 600, or a C4 Auto ...both options if and when something s**t itself, lol :roll:

Cheers.

should be able to beat the bomodores without even coming close to breaking s**t lol

BF XR6

Post subject: Re: Mark's EL XR6 - BF F6 DOHC transplant in progress!!
Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 04 BA Mk2 Xr6

Damn mate! That's one sexeh beast !

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Gli

SA, Australia

I remember this car from ages ago. Really nice and clean.
Didnt you sell it and buy pyroay then buy it back?

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont Sedan

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

The Black Air Brushing looks good - makes it look mean as............

PROEF 13.46 @ 105.78mph - 1994 Ford Fairmont EF NA 6cyl Man 3.9 diff Sedan
Stock Fuel Pump, 29lb Injectors, JMM Street Series Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, 205rwkw

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

fordnuttz wrote:
I remember this car from ages ago. Really nice and clean.
Didnt you sell it and buy pyroay then buy it back?

Haha, almost right ...I bought Pyroay while still having this car, sold Pyroay ...then stupidly sold this car, during which time I missed it like crazy ...and then by some miracle the buyer offered it back to me 4 weeks later so he could buy another EL XR6. I bit his arm off, and haven't looked back since :wink:

(298 rwkw @ 12 psi)

BF TYPHOON BOOSTED!!!

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

awesome car mate, how did you deal with the k frame and bonnet clearance issues?

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Chargd wrote:
awesome car mate, how did you deal with the k frame and bonnet clearance issues?

Cheers mate,

K-frame was cut & welded, you can see a bit of how it was done in one of the engine bay pics above. Basically, it was cut to fit the sump, then the front of it was welded up with 4mm steel bar to strengthen the area.

As for bonnet clearance, the engine mount bolt holes have been ovalled out to allow the motor to drop a little, with the holes having steel ferrules inserted and the surrounding gaps filled with Aluminium weld ...has maybe dropped the motor 1/4 to 1/2 an inch.

It sits fine, but a small piece of the centre bonnet brace will have to be cut, with my bonnet liner going on back over it ...hopefully we have also achieved enough clearance to allow for the motor possibly rising under heavy acceleration :roll:

(298 rwkw @ 12 psi)

BF TYPHOON BOOSTED!!!

Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:51 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: '97 EL Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

beautiful EL Mate! very clean in and out. i love how you've gone for the stock look too. the ultimate sleeper. leave commies for dead. :mrgreen:
Good luck with her :)

The EL ghia
^^^^^^^^^^

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:38 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

My engine bay should look something like this once everything is on..

My crossovers will be painted Black, after the 'INTERCOOLER' cast lettering has been ground off ...stealth ftw :wink:

(298 rwkw @ 12 psi)

BF TYPHOON BOOSTED!!!

Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:00 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: '96 EL Ford Fairmonth Ghia.

QLD, Australia

Whats the conversion set you back so far? Looks like its going to be a pretty impressive ride once you're done with it -- any idea when they will be getting the car back to you?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 10  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next