Post subject: Re: WhiteLine rear upper trailing arms
Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

would it be best if i went with the
46900AHD - Comp replacement new arms 340mm suits EF, & EL w/Tickford susp?

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:16 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Only difference between the 2 is the bushes are stiffer in the HD version.

The normal bushes are eqivalent in stiffness to what Ford put in as OE.

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Only difference between the 2 is the bushes are stiffer in the HD version.

The normal bushes are eqivalent in stiffness to what Ford put in as OE.

ok cool, would it be worth replacing the arms on an the standard EL?

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:21 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Why not. If you bushes are still original, they will be f**k by now. So not only do you get better suspension feel, but a stiffer fell because of the new bushes.

Just be prepared to change the front too. Stiffening the back will make the front feel like a sloppy boat.

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

no problems thanks for that, Pedders have done the front bushes not long ago it cost a fair bit to do as well, so that should be fine. I'm going to do these trailing arms myself as it was easy when me and my brother changed them over on his car.

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

arm79 wrote:
dsyfer wrote:
They may sound like a crok, but they do work, changed the whole rear of my car, much more solid.

Well, putting in arms that lower the roll centre with new bushes will do that regardless.

So that would make them not a crok, if they work as they were meant to?

arm79 wrote:
dsyfer wrote:
I haven't seen an EL XR arm to compare.

We'll, I have. And I can tell you the Nolathane arms minic the EL XR arms. Bit rough saying they wont work, blah blah, when you've never seen them. I've had 2 Tickford suspended EL's, and have bought about 10 sets of the Nolthane arms, so I know they work.

Not sure if you are trying to have a go at me? I was only relating info to the OP, but you seem discruntled by it.

My comment was that if I tried to bolt an EF Nolathane arm (the standard one that looks exactly like the standard EF one) it would hit the diff, I never mentioned that the EL XR Nolathane arms "wouldn't work blah blah", as I said I haven't seen one, I have been referring to EF's, which have no second hole in the diff. I'm not even sure if the hole that i drilled for the Whiteline arms is the same as the EL XR hole.

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:42 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

dsyfer wrote:
So that would make them not a crok, if they work as they were meant to?

I didn't say it was a bad idea. And I didn't say it wouldn't work.

I say its a bit of a crok as they are taking Ford standard parts/suspension settings and making slight modifications you can do at home with a grinder and probably selling them for a pretty penny.

dsyfer wrote:
Not sure if you are trying to have a go at me? I was only relating info to the OP, but you seem discruntled by it.

My comment was that if I tried to bolt an EF Nolathane arm (the standard one that looks exactly like the standard EF one) it would hit the diff, I never mentioned that the EL XR Nolathane arms "wouldn't work blah blah", as I said I haven't seen one, I have been referring to EF's, which have no second hole in the diff. I'm not even sure if the hole that i drilled for the Whiteline arms is the same as the EL XR hole.

Not disgruntled.

Just seems you are making assumptions on pictures and your thoughts and what you have in your car without knowing what else is available, nor having touched it or seen it.... Then trying to promote that information to the OP which is actually incorrect. There are many ways in doing things to get the same results in these cars, some cheaper than others. Seeing as he has an EL, then EL parts would apply and EF wouldnt fit. And to get those arms into his car could be as simple as a lucky trip to the wreckers and $20.

The holes you drilled would have to be in the same position as an ED/EL XR. With the arms all being the same length, if they moved the hole position anywhere else, chances are you'd be suffereing vibrations from bad pinion angles, and the diff wouldn't be moving through the correct range of movement. I'll admit that is an assumption, but a very sound one I would think. The auto speed pics show the bolt holes in the same place as the EL XR and even mention that you have to cut the captive nut cage off as it interferes with the bolt hole. Something we've had to do in the past to fit EL arms to an EF diff.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2