Post subject: Delay Off Power Windows
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hey all...

Probably another useless mod that wont entice anyone... But just in case...

Ok our izusu truck at work has power windows... They are great because once you turn the truck off the windows stay active for about a minute to enable to wind them up after the truck is off... Great idea... Apparently current model (BA onward maybe) have this too?

None the less... My ED didn't have it this morning and does now...

you get yourself some solid state high side switching adjustable time delay relays and your away...

Attachment:
DSC_0141.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0142.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0143.JPG

These here... Although I wont elaborate too much... Are very well designed Fully adjustable relays... Usually he carries low side switching relays, however for my application I required high side switching relays, these require an extra transistor, and hence slightly dearer... What this means is:

Low side switching: When activated joins load terminal to ground
High side switching: When activated joins load terminal to +12V

These are rated to switch 10 amps continuous, 20 amps peak... however to get mine to last forever, they are simply triggering the existing relay so the most load on these is is probably 1/4 amp...

So simple as... The existing wire that triggers the window relay (located behind the fuse panel) (purple with red trace) is removed from the relay base, I cut off the quick connector and changed it to a full insulated female spade connector... It then goes to input 1 of the TDR (time delay relay)

All that is left then is the load terminal, a short piece of wire with a fully insulated female spade on one send and a quick connector spade on the other, pop it back into the relay base... and on to the load terminal...

Now for +12V and Gnd supply to this relay, on the existing relay base, the black wire is ground and the white with red trace is +12 Volt continuous so patch into these and run to the relay... So all that is left is to mount the thing... Right above the diagnostic connector looked best to me, so drilled two holes, and then using pop rivets with a washer on the back to grab the relay thats where it now lives... (remember if you do this to test run it before mounting as you will need to adjust the on and off delays to however long you want...)

I can't state enough... That when the white with red trace is removed and/or your working with it remember it is LIVE, so be careful, if you touch it with a soldering iron remember to to accidently bump the iron on the body anywhere at the same time... Same applied with screw drivers... If your not comfortable doing this then remove the fuse and check its dead first... Electronics don't like short circuits... Just something good to have in the back of your mind...

Attached bellow are various photos of it so not much explaining to do but it'll give you idea what your looking for... Any questions I'm happy to answer...

I have some wiring diagrams I drew up to help anyone... I'll have to PM them though as fordmods wont let me upload bitmaps and I'm not converting to JPEG as it ruins all the colours...

Attachment:
DSC_0144.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0145.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Last edited by TimmyA on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Delay Off Power Windows
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Attachment:
DSC_0146.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0147.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0149.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_0150.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah I wish...

Still learning this s**t everyday... TAFE is a big help... Esp when you cover DC electricity and you understand why certain components act the way they do... Eventually it all just clicks and stuff like this flows... Basically a lot of useless trivia to most people... Never know it might save my life one day... :roll:

Anyway by the time I'm finished with the ED it'll be as luxurious (electronics wise) as a modern falcon... seeing as I bought a house and then couldn't afford the modern car... Just making up for it...

Anyway... hopefully might be useful to someone... I know its not all that complicated to do... Just is that added benefit...

Cheers...

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Thanks Ash... Hope so... Life is all about conveniences and everything we have to make life easier is well worth having...

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

EF/ELs have this feature, controlled by the BEM.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Nice work Tim.
Now hook me up with a couple of those puppies!
My missus's 4 runner looses the windows as soon as you turn the ignition off which does suck a***. Nothing worse then when Im driving it after driving my cars with wind ups , park it and turn it off , go to get out and see the windows down and then have to turn the ignition back on to put the window up!
Dunno what Ill do with the ute yet once I putthe windows in. Will most likely have them connected to the alarm so they go up when the alarm is activated.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

So this was out in EF onwards was it... oh well only helping the minority with pre ED's then...

Guy I bought them off is in the states... Great exchange rate at present if your interested... and his postage was pretty cheap too... Postage for my two was US$4.95

He now has these new ones he custom made for me listed on his website (high side switching ones) (see the coming soon part at the top)...

http://www.wolstentech.com/products/tim ... yrelay.php

Good bloke to deal with and you pay him through paypal so its safe as...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon EF Gli

VIC, Australia

Good work may want to think about submitting as a Tech Doc?

AsIzZy

My Build Thread:
post994940.html#p994940

For Sale Thread 1
forums/viewtopic.php?t=70845&highlight=

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

Haha brillaint job, I'll have to convince my mate to put a coupe in his hiluxes(one he converted few months back, and the other he's in the process of now, haha).
Hey you don't anything bout the auto on headlight stuff do you?

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:00 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

as in to come on when it gets dark?

Never done it but I could possibly knock something up if your interested?

I have another these that will do much the same as this but I'll control the low beam relay with it... This will enable two things...

1) of a night time when you get out and turn the headlight switch off they'll stay on for 45secs as a curtsy thing to see where your going...

2) As I have HID's when you flick from lot to high and vice versa there is a fraction of a second where the lows go off and then back on... I learnt from TAFE that when it turns off it sends a massive energy burst to the HID (collapsing magnetic field in the ballast) and basically it works much the same as your coil and spark plugs in this scenario... Not good... so this time delay relay will hold on the low beams when you change to high...

It'll be slightly more complicated to wire up but I think I've got it sorted... So I'll post it when I do it too... I'll have a stab around for you OZBMX... I might have to buy a LDR resistor next week as I don't think I have any... But it shouldn't be too hard...

My only question, as I have never had a car with these... Are they always auto? or can the auto feature be turned off?

Thanks,
Tim

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:37 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

thats an excellant set up...
in my case i just bypassed the accesory feed to the windows and connected them to constant power..
that way i can wind the windows up of down at any time without having to turn the ignition on...

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:14 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

OK sorted out my bitmaps... Convert them to PDF's and fordmods is happy... So here is the schematics guys...

Attachment:
Pwr Wdo Relay.pdf

Attachment:
Pwr Wdo Time Delay Relay.pdf

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:17 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
in my case i just bypassed the accesory feed to the windows and connected them to constant power..
that way i can wind the windows up of down at any time without having to turn the ignition on...

Thanks Troy...

That was my other option... But I found these for a reasonable price and thought what the hell... I don't know why power windows aren't active all the time? Stop battery going flat or what? But this what now seems to be the modern std anyway...

Posted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

Hahaha, Jeez, I hadn't put that much thought into it really, I'll have a think about it
TROYMAN wrote:

Yeah, I've got the delay being ef/el, but i also have a switch in my center consol, that send constant back into the accessory for the radio, but because i didn't bother putting any diode or the like in it pump power back through the accessory relay, I just ope I don't blow anything up. Haha.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Yeah, the EF/EL's have about 45 secs from door open IIRC. Still a good idea for other models though.
Jaycar do have a kit that will suit auto headlights, along with adjustment of the LDR.
I was thinking of modding the light switch with the extra selection of auto, and using the window autowinders I have for the delay on locking.
It's been discussed on here before - with logic circuits, gates, etc. But I think if you use existing timed ccts, should be relatively uncomplicated.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next