Automatic headlight Circuit in E series 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Automatic headlight Circuit in E series
Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF daily, xc project

NSW, Australia

hey all,
i am thinking about implementing a circuit which will enable the headlights to automatically turn on when it gets dark and also off when light,

along with this i am going to try and include a secondary circuit that will auto hi beam, no approaching cars high beam on, and if lights shine at the car headlights off,

any ideas welcome within the next few days i will begin designing and hopefully a parts light,

let me know what you all think about this

ef falcon daily driver
78 xc falcon 500 project
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/bradley4567-s-xc-t83750.html

calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

Post subject: Re: Automatic headlight Circuit in E series
Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

ACT, Australia

Interesting but wouldn't it be Easyer and cheaper to buy the auto headlight kit from supercheap?

Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ply-boi wrote:
Interesting but wouldn't it be Easyer and cheaper to buy the auto headlight kit from supercheap?

hmm, most likely but i never knew they had one, i shall investigate.

do you know how the supercheap one works?

ef falcon daily driver
78 xc falcon 500 project

calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:06 am 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

I bought a system called Headlight Commander which has a light sensor which mounts on the dash and turns the headlights and parkers on when it gets dark.You could probably modify 2 kits to make the hibeams turn off when an oncoming car's lights hit a light sensor mounted in the grille.Cheers Kevman.What is life without doing and experimenting.oh and let those people who say why bother get out of the road of the people who do get off their asses and get the job done. :D

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

kevman wrote:
I bought a system called Headlight Commander which has a light sensor which mounts on the dash and turns the headlights and parkers on when it gets dark.You could probably modify 2 kits to make the hibeams turn off when an oncoming car's lights hit a light sensor mounted in the grille.Cheers Kevman.What is life without doing and experimenting.oh and let those people who say why bother get out of the road of the people who do get off their asses and get the job done. :D

so where did u get this from?

A high beam on off circuit wouldn't be that hard I don't think, add a photosensor couple resistors and diodes.

And there you go.

ef falcon daily driver
78 xc falcon 500 project

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

Bradley,

The first idea of the headlights on/off is alright.

I honestly doubt that you would be able to get the hi/low dipping to work. For it to work, the light from oncoming vehicles would need to hit one specific point on your car (the point where you choose to mount the sensor). By the time that the light hits the sensor, the oncoming vehicle would be closer than 200 metres (the point at which you must legally dip your highbeams) to you. another issue is with bikes that may be coming towards you. Talking from experience, bikes have a narrower beam of light, even than cars that have one 1 working headlight. There is a chance that these vehicles would not even provide enough light to trigger the headlights to revert to low beam.
Also, another issue is when you are coming up to the rear of a vehicle heading in the same direction. You still need to dip your lights when you are 200m from the rear of any vehicle heading in the same direction. There is no way that you would be able to automatically trigger this.

In either of the above situations, you may still need to trigger the low beams manually. If you fit an automatic system to do this for you, you may forget that you still need to monitor and intervene if necessary. This will lead to the potential of blinding other road users.

...just some food for thought

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:23 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

This idea crossed my mind too. I thought maybe something might be possible to connect a auto head light on feature by connecting something to the sunload sensor (LDR) on top of the dash in the Fairmonts. Maybe you can go from my idea to help ya out.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

93EB wrote:
This idea crossed my mind too. I thought maybe something might be possible to connect a auto head light on feature by connecting something to the sunload sensor (LDR) on top of the dash in the Fairmonts. Maybe you can go from my idea to help ya out.

the what sorry?

i got the idea from driving my nans ba fairmont ghia which has auto headlights and from driving the benzs at work which have auto headlight and also have auto hi beam

ef falcon daily driver
78 xc falcon 500 project

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

should've got onto this guy: post1104564.html

A little bit of reading here:
post1088958.html
post1046119.html

Agree with the headlight dipping facility - sounds a bit complicated to implement.
My setup was reasonably easy - jaycar kit, uses the EF/EL power window relay (45 secs timer), modded the light switch. The kit fits nicely near the dash top RH tweeter grill.
So it turns low beam and parkers on in fading light, and when the engine is stopped the lights stay on, and stay on for 45 secs after a door is opened, then go out.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:12 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

bradley4567 wrote:
93EB wrote:

the what sorry?

i got the idea from driving my nans ba fairmont ghia which has auto headlights and from driving the benzs at work which have auto headlight and also have auto hi beam

The sun load sensor on top of the dash is a light independant resistor. It controls the climate control according to how much light is on the car. Its similar to that photo diode you were mentioning.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: au II ute, 63' xl falcon ute

VIC, Australia

cheapest and easiest way (maybe not easy for some) would be to hook up a relay that powered via the accessories, and have it so it cuts the power to the headlight relays once the ignition is off.. if that makes scene..

as for the high beam auto switch, that would be a tad harder.. lol

au II ute, cam, mild porting/xr6 head, headers and zorst

63' xl falcon ute, engineered 302w, cam, heads, straight gas, built c4, xp disc brake front, lotsa fun (:

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
You asked persons to comment.

I think its a waste of time to be honest. Too difficult to implement and costly.

You could do it the cheaper way, turning on the headlights with ya fingers, and flicking the high beams on and off with them as well.

I know it sounds sarcastic, but seriously, why?

Im with this guy. Are people really getting this lazy?

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

thatrandykid wrote:
cheapest and easiest way (maybe not easy for some) would be to hook up a relay that powered via the accessories, and have it so it cuts the power to the headlight relays once the ignition is off.. if that makes scene..

i was intending to have them come on when its dark and go off when it isnt.

ef falcon daily driver
78 xc falcon 500 project

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

phatEB wrote:
uniacidz wrote:
You asked persons to comment.

I think its a waste of time to be honest. Too difficult to implement and costly.

You could do it the cheaper way, turning on the headlights with ya fingers, and flicking the high beams on and off with them as well.

I know it sounds sarcastic, but seriously, why?

Im with this guy. Are people really getting this lazy?

its not about being lazy its about fancyness,
over the last few weeks i have been looking through different wiring circuits, sensors, relays and other components from the cars at work,

i need to decide which sensor to use and more importantly its location

ef falcon daily driver
78 xc falcon 500 project

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: au II ute, 63' xl falcon ute

VIC, Australia

bradley4567 wrote:
thatrandykid wrote:

i was intending to have them come on when its dark and go off when it isnt.

ahhk.. i remember reading about a kit (like a dik smith kit of something similar) you could modify for this somewhere... ill try to dig it up..
i reckon it would be a bit temperamental though.. eg, driving thru town at night, every street light you drive under would probs turn the headlights off, even traffic lights might turn them off..

au II ute, cam, mild porting/xr6 head, headers and zorst

63' xl falcon ute, engineered 302w, cam, heads, straight gas, built c4, xp disc brake front, lotsa fun (:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next