Fordmods Logo

cheapest way to get a tune in a BA? (temp tune) 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: cheapest way to get a tune in a BA? (temp tune)
Posted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Hi all,

I have started modding the BA XR6T (oct 04) that I got a few months back.

It now has the following:

* Middle muffler removed. (twin 2.25 inch pipes)
* Second intake to airbox.
* Kinuguwa wategate actuator with 7.5 & 12 PSI springs (own but yet to put in)
* Seimens deka 60 pound injectors. (own but yet to put in)
* 3.5 inch Loboka 100 csi metal cat (own but yet to put in)

I also can get a bosch high volume fuel pump for 120 too... but I already own a walbro 255 pump so don't know if the bosch will benefit me. (especially for a car about to go onto JTG LPG)

My question is; Once I put the high flow cat and injectors in, the car will run like a complete pig with overboost and running rich.. So I need to get a tune on it quickly.

I plan to have a dyno tune done once the JTG Liquid injection system in installed.. but they want me to do the engine mods first before the JTG install because it's a piggy back system (apparently).

I've noticed BPR selling snipers with a custom tune on them.. where I tell them the mods above and they give me a tune they've done in the past for the same mods.

That isn't optimal compared to dyno tuning it.. but I don't want to pay an extra 1000 for a custom tune that will be redone immedately once the JTG install is done.

Is that the cheapest way to get a temp tune on the car so it runs properly? (seems a sniper with a single custom tune is 600ish.)

One benefit of the sniper is that I can share it with my mate and his NA XR.. he just wants to get a 98 oct tune for his NA falcon with basic exhaust and intake mods.. brings it down to about 500 each for the snipper and 2 tunes. Plus presumably it means I can save my proper dyno tune to it later on if I wish.

It seems that an Xcal 3 will cost me 700 plus tune and only be useable by my VIN number so i can't share.

Are their any other options?

One last question, the BA XR6T has dodgy valve springs and rods.. I can get Nispro HD springs for 260ish and scat rods for about 520 or less than a grand with new rod bearings and a gasket set (and lots of work)

Or I can buy a BF2 Gas engine and bolt my turbo to it for about 500.. the compression will be increased because it doesn't have the turbo pistons, it it already has the stronger springs and rods..

Not sure what to do because as I understand it, the little end pins are different between the turbo and NA models. (floating in turbo, fixed in NA)

Many thanks for your combined wisdom!

regards

Frank

Post subject: Re: cheapest way to get a tune in a BA? (temp tune)
Posted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Found something interesting that might interest other ba/bf/fg folks on here.

ecu-fuel-system-eec-f21/new-in-car-live-tunin-ba-bf-using-mongoose-binary-editor-t125120.html

... I'm not an employee or in any way related to them.. but would like to discuss the process with other tinkerers.

Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Falcon BA 6 cyl

QLD, Australia

I live not far from these guys & they helped me out heaps when I was trying to sort out my Sprintex SC on my BA. They know what they are talking about although they do not suffer fools wisely, so be careful what you ask. They can get you all sorts of s**t cheap if you need it too.
If you tell them that you are a noob then they will help you to become knowledgeable, but if you rock up or email them & start raving on about s**t you know nothing about they will pretty much ignore you & tell you to go somewhere else.
I have seen them turn away big dollar project only because the guy with the cash was a wanker.

I just purchased ANOTHER BA (Yes I'm a sucker for punishment)
But this time it's a fully optioned Dec 04 Mrk11 Turbo, its an Auto with 24,000 km's & I'm looking for a manual gear box too.

Posted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Thanks for the info.. I think I'll be taking them up on the offer.

much appreciated.

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:53 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ba xr6

NSW, Australia

i think a good tune is the best mod you can do. no good skimping here.

I have been banned for being a knob.

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

agreed, however any tune I put on the BA will need to be redone once the JTG gas system goes on.

I'd rather just get a cheap safe running tune before the install, and then have a professional dyno tune it afterwards to get the best results from the liquid gas install.

I'm aiming for 350+ rwkw, so I'm not going to skimp on anything. :-) The JTG guys tell me that with the mods i have and a good tune with their higher end system should result in around 390rwkw, but that will probably require new valve springs. (so I am getting some nizpro's... just need to find someone to put them on without pulling the head as I'm not equipped to do that myself.)

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

I wouldnt bother installing anything until your ready for the dyno tune. You know its getting on the rollers once the gas is installed so why waste $600odd for a short term tune. $600 can buy more bits for the car. Maybe use the extra $600 to put a real exhaust on it?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

check ya pm's

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

bry40l wrote:
I wouldnt bother installing anything until your ready for the dyno tune. You know its getting on the rollers once the gas is installed so why waste $600odd for a short term tune. $600 can buy more bits for the car. Maybe use the extra $600 to put a real exhaust on it?

yeah, I thought about that too.. but with 45lp injectors, and a 3.5 inch high flow cat, the modded wastegate and 7pound actuator .. the car will run like a complete pig and probably not safely (overboost will be a huge issue).. so they won't even be able to test the proper function of the gas system after install. If they can't rev it up to test that the gas injectors are correctly sized for the engine.. then the proper tune won't be any good either.

That was why bullets solution was so good.. I can get a base tune matched to my cars mods.. and then tweak it based on the output of my wideband... and then have someone tweak the same tune more precisely on a dyno later with the piggyback JTG system in place.

Bullet have asked that we have a phone chat regarding this so I'll see what Matt has to say.

regards

Frank

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]