Fordmods Logo

Project EA ( Barra DOHC Conversion ) 

Page 12 of 17 [ 248 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next

Post subject: Re: Project EA ( Barra DOHC Conversion )
Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EF-XR6/XG-6/XE-V8- project

GrannyFalcon82 wrote:
johnnyeHCF wrote:
Hey Bayden, when you say the VCT wasnt working-was it throwing up codes for that?, cheers Johnny.

Yes, the codes were

Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit - Broken wire inside loom
Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit - Broken wire inside loom

Camshaft Actuator Circuit Bank 1 - Forgot to wire positive to the VCT actuators ( At the front of the head )
Camshaft Actuator Circuit Bank 2 - Forgot to wire positive to the VCT actuators ( At the front of the head )

The engine had bottom end power, however it lacked any real power in the top end... This was due to the camshafts being in the fully advanced position ( -10 deg )

Ok havnt had any codes like that, I cant remember what this dash light means-thought you may know, cheers, Johnny.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

XG DOHC-BARRA 182/Turbo kit/20% Underdrive and BA 4-SPEED + Tiptronic shifter

https://youtube.com/channel/UCaRUQ10of3FlOuSpvfapOtA

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:45 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

The dash light is your coolant low level indicator.

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EF-XR6/XG-6/XE-V8- project

SWC wrote:
The dash light is your coolant low level indicator.

Thats the one-havent got the sensor in the XG coolant tank, cheers SWC, Johnny.

XG DOHC-BARRA 182/Turbo kit/20% Underdrive and BA 4-SPEED + Tiptronic shifter

https://youtube.com/channel/UCaRUQ10of3FlOuSpvfapOtA

Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:25 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1988 5spd DOHC EA Falcon S

NSW, Australia

I stare at that warning light quite alot due to my coolant leak i've yet to fix... Hit me with some motivation.

I would not worry about those codes, it's obvious that there will be a few random codes that pop up during an engine conversion of such degree, without implementing every single system.

I've gone in and disabled the P1565, P1534, P1465 and P0532 inside of VCM editor ( Under engine Diag - DTC's, change the codes to " No error reported " ) and they won't bother you again.

Unless you've hooked up some kind of cruise control, you'll continue to get that P1565 code. P1534 sounds something like airbags. As for the AC codes, well the PCM isn't controlling the AC, so it's no concern... P0532 could be due to literally having no AC gas. I'm pretty sure most of us get the U1900 CAN line communication error... Seeing as most of the CAN line components are missing.

In other news, My Barra seems to have a slightly rough idle, I've not been down to the spark plugs yet... I wonder what kind of condition they're in, judging by the old engine oil and previous dodgy mechanic, I suspect they haven't been changed in centurys.

Rolling around with a Barra 182 - equipped 1988 EA falcon

http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ ... 27639.html

Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:35 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

As of late I've been focusing quite alot of my free time on helping my brother John, with his blown 350 GQ patrol.

Originally when we went down to Melbourne to purchase the vehicle, it came with an N/A 350ci Chevy motor. Although it ran fine, it had no guts for breakfast, i suspect lack of compression. The past few weeks we've been gathering parts, cleaning up the previous dodgy wiring and painting the engine bay, preparing for the new 500HP Supercharged small block 350 Chevy engine to be dropped in.

Not even two days ago the conversion was completed, and i must say... Quite a - lot of cars are on the menu for this beast, hell it will give the falcon a run for its money. Chews through fuel though :lol:

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:01 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Bit of an update

Falcon still going strong, so far no issues. Fuel economy is better than the 3.9 at this stage, which i'm very happy about.

The cars paint, for the past 15 years has been rather neglected, to say the least... Many minor scratches and dints in the drivers side doors.

I decided to try out Meguiars paint restoration kit, also some turtle wax trim restorer along with glass / wheel cleaning products. The bonnet seems to have the best coat of paint compared to the rest of said vehicle, the middle of all the doors seemed the most faded of all ( They had little to no reflection )

I may need a better machine for the doors and the boot, or a heavier cutting compound. For the price i paid, I'm rather happy with the results...

Forgot to clean the plastic at the front... woops :oops:

Granted, it's no show car, but i love the look of a CLEAN box car.

Products used :

Meguiars Gold Class car wash with microfiber mitt ( two bucket method )
Meguiars Clay bar kit with their Quick clean spray
Meguiars Ultimate Compound with their expensive as hell microfiber cloths to buff with
Meguiars Gold Class wax with foam applicator, buffed off with microfiber

Turtlewax Trim Restorer with supplied black foam applicator - used on most plastics

Meguiars No Acid Wheel Cleaner with brush and hose
Meguiars Endurance Tire Gel applied with foam applicator ( good stuff, smells nice )
Meguiars Glass cleaner <--- dries quick with no streaking, however my tint seems to be aging... :?

Quite happy with the results, with some maintenance here and there it will continue to look somewhat, clean and tidy. The engine bay however... well that needs some attention :roll:

I have recently put the BA cluster into the EA, will update on that some time.

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 94 ED Falcon

VIC, Australia

Well done mate looks great. Very interested in the instrument cluster update asap

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:08 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

shooter wrote:
Well done mate looks great. Very interested in the instrument cluster update asap

Cheers mate,

Looking for information on the wiring side of things, or the MDF adapter frame? Once i find some time ( hopefully tomorrow ) I'll be posting as much information as i can, with pictures and a video.

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:27 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Both if you could as im about to start my barra turbo motor conversion monday. Been watching all these very closely.
I get my donor car tomorrow :twisted:

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:41 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

shooter wrote:
Both if you could as im about to start my barra turbo motor conversion monday. Been watching all these very closely.
I get my donor car tomorrow :twisted:

How much did the donor car set you back? I'd love to do a turbo conversion, only a few extra things here and there... Also, is the donor vehicle a manual? Would be interesting to have a hydraulic clutch in a boxcar ( yes I'm aware it's been done )

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Its a ba xr6t ute. Blue been tapped in the a***.
It has 125 xxxkm and its 4 speed auto so no manual unfortunately maybe down the track it will cop a t56.
It cost me $2200 bucks.
Once its running planning on doing a few mods to hit 300kw.

Anyhow your thread has been a massive help along with a few others on here. The reason i ask about the cluster is that i plan on engineer the car and my engineer wants a b series cluster installed so it has a malfunction indicator light i.e emissions

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:12 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

shooter wrote:
Its a ba xr6t ute. Blue been tapped in the a***.
It has 125 xxxkm and its 4 speed auto so no manual unfortunately maybe down the track it will cop a t56.
It cost me $2200 bucks.
Once its running planning on doing a few mods to hit 300kw.

Anyhow your thread has been a massive help along with a few others on here. The reason i ask about the cluster is that i plan on engineer the car and my engineer wants a b series cluster installed so it has a malfunction indicator light i.e emissions

Bloody hell, $2200 is a steal! Where'd you find the damn thing, at pickles auctions? Great thing about those engines, if you're doing it yourself ( with HP tuners also ) power won't cost much, NA mods just don't cut it in comparison.

Well that's a fair enough call, imho it's not necessary but hey, i wouldn't mess with the engineer. Cluster wiring adapter was extremely easy to fab up ( took me 4 hours to design, make and wrap it ) However you will need to tap into the Can-Hi and Can-lo wires ( Easy if you have the obd2 port running into the cabin ) Things such as the check engine light, water temp, rpm, speedometer and a few other things communicate on the CAN line. Don't stress, I'll have photos and a list of things that need wiring, and how i've done it in a plug n play fashion, hardest part was the damn MDF board...

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:19 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Yeah mate pickles auction i couldn't believe i got it that cheap.

Yeah originally i wanted to use the original cluster but the engineer said he would like the ba one so if there is a malfunction i.e oxy sensor the mil light would come on.
So i wont mess with him hahahaha and yeah ill be running a obd plug in the dash where most are located

Also so if i drill the holes 10mm lower on the engine mounts there is plenty of bonnet clearance

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Also the ea came up well with a cut and polish man. To get the shine back in the doors try a harsher cutter and a buff they work a treat. Should be able to bring the shine back no worries

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:28 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

shooter wrote:
Yeah mate pickles auction i couldn't believe i got it that cheap.

Yeah originally i wanted to use the original cluster but the engineer said he would like the ba one so if there is a malfunction i.e oxy sensor the mil light would come on.
So i wont mess with him hahahaha and yeah ill be running a obd plug in the dash where most are located

Also so if i drill the holes 10mm lower on the engine mounts there is plenty of bonnet clearance

Will have to watch pickles like a hawk then.

If you drill the holes 10mm - 11mm lower, you'll have plenty of bonnet clearance ( Don't elongate the holes, unless you want dents in your bonnet :D ). You'd think that It'd also lower the center of gravity, I'm sure there's been various debates about it though.

Project sounds awesome though, consider a thread of sorts, the more information on these conversions the better...

Sort by  
 Page 12 of 17  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next