Page 2 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: XR8 Tickford 220 info wanted
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:44 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

tripleexpansion wrote:
Yep I'll keep you informed on this thread.

The transplant is set for early October as I've got leave from work.

I'll be getting a standard billet cam re profiled first and sell the tickford one out of the motor to help fund the grind.

The cam grinder only charges about $100 to $150 which, with all the advice is a good deal. The mustang forums say usually a 30 to 40hp gain can be expected but that's with standard heads.

It's not worth installing cam gears for the price they are.

I'll definitely get the under drive pulley kit tho.

I'm off to the States so will prob pick up a few toys there too. I think a tweecer. Customs will just make me pay duty on big stuff like heads unless I get a dummy invoice and hope the officer ain't a car guy :mrgreen:

See you here :)

Tweecer is old hat. You want a moates 1/4 horse.

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:41 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: NC V8 FAIRLANE GHIA 220kw

New Zealand

Hey guys,

There are a set of new edelbrock e street heads for sale for $1800 . Is it worth swapping over from the original port matched gt40p heads already on my newly freshened 220kw xr8 motor and will the ceramic coated headers bolt up to them. if they won't, the cost of new headers will put me right off as it will cost almost 3k for new heads and decent headers which is like $100 per hp.

I read up and the e street offer about 35hp more than gt40p heads. If my intakes are port matched on the gt40p it would be even less gain.

I am replacing the cam, so while the engine is out it is the perfect opportunity for heads.

Is it worth it?

Appreciate advice? :twisted:

'91 NC Fairlane Mint Original Paint, Fresh uprated 220 to 270kw Xr8 motor, re cammed with custom high torque grind. LSD, Underdriven accessories, Hand controls (i'm a wheelchair user), Custom twin 2.5" steel exhaust into 3", Hurricane headers,

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:56 am 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

The headers will bolt up.
I would probably spring the extra for AFR's or TFS190r heads over those though. Get small chambers to get the comp up.

Post subject: Re: XR8 Tickford 220 phenolic spacer
Posted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:13 am 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

I'm still doing my engine swap into a fairlane. I'm sticking with the gt40p heads for now until I go to the States in November.

Do any of you guys know if the cobra intake manifold will fit under the Fairlane bonnet with a 1" phenolic spacer?

I might as well add one when i do the cam.

It's not something I want to find out when the bonnet goes on, been there, done that. I did read somewhere that the Fairlanes have more space between the engine and bonnet. I'm not sure if this is true or not?

Advice appreciated :mrgreen:

'91 NC Fairlane Mint Original Paint, Fresh uprated 220 to 270kw Xr8 motor, re cammed with custom high torque grind. LSD, Underdriven accessories, Hand controls (i'm a wheelchair user), Custom twin 2.5" steel exhaust into 3", Hurricane headers,

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:40 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

With a 1/2 inch spacer my TPS touched the hood lining just. But it didn't touch steel. 1 inch might be ok, especially if it's a manual that uses the one TPS and not the double stacked ones an auto uses.

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:01 am 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

NLGHIA5.0 wrote:
With a 1/2 inch spacer my TPS touched the hood lining just. But it didn't touch steel. 1 inch might be ok, especially if it's a manual that uses the one TPS and not the double stacked ones an auto uses.

No, unfortunately it's an auto as im in a wheelchair and have no choice but to use an auto. I read somewhere on here that the Fairlane has a higher bonnet hump, but don't want to have anything sticking out. Once the motor is in I can't work on it easily, so I can't afford to make any mistakes, otherwise I'll have to pay someone to strip it down to remove The spacer :(

Would a 1/2" spacer fit and if so, would it be worth it?

The car body is immaculate, original paint, no blemishes and garaged all its life.

I scored an alloy under Drive pulley set for $170 in an auction today. Cheap upgrade. If i gain 10hp thats only $17 per hp gain.

While in the states I'll pick up some AFR or Twisted Wedge heads and rebuild the original donk as a new project. The edelbrock heads ain't worth it.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

One more question. What is the best exhaust to have made to go with these headers on the 220kw engine. Would it be 2 × 2 1/2" with mufflers into a 3" pipe at the back deleting the cats (nz) and the rearmost muffler? The standard exhaust is MINT condition.

Your thoughts greatly appreciated?!

Cheers :D

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:05 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: NL Fairlane Ghia V8

VIC, Australia

1/2 inch will fit. Best exhaust if it has alloy heads etc would be dual 2.5.

Post subject: XR8 Tickford 220 exhaust into NC FAIRLANE
Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:06 pm 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

Hi Folks,

Will the ceramic coated headers off my fresh xr8 220kw fit into my NC Fairlane? If not, can they be modified to fit? If they won't fit at all, what will be the best replacement so the plugs can be changed etc...?

Advice appreciated!

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:47 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

AU headers don't fit E-series. Anything can be modified to fit.

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:38 am 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

Thankfully I live in the hometown of V8 Supercars in New Zealand & there is a place that has old stock ford racing headers to fit GT40P heads in an eb/nc fairlane . Now to find out the price.

Thanks for your advice!

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:39 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

Ford racing don't make headers for Falcons, let alone Falcons with 40p heads. You sure they'd not Advance headers?

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:19 am 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

Will let you know what he says when I get the quote from him. Thanks for the heads up

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:09 pm 
Oompa Loompa

New Zealand

Looks like hurricane headers are my option. What combo will go best behind the headers? I don't need cats and I don't want it too loud or droning at hi way speed.

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:22 pm 
EFI Guru

WA, Australia

twin 2 1/4" with a pair of Walker/Lukey Ultraflow mufflers.

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:10 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF xr6 AU3 220kw xr8

VIC, Australia

Just to bump this thread and reply to the OP about a decent manual for the AU.

Here is a link for a downloadable manual which costs $20 bucks but its the best detailed manual i have found and almost looks like the original Ford workshop manual.

It has everything you need down to the last detail and it has helped me greatly the past month as i have just spent an epic amount of time working on my AU3 220kw xr8.

http://www.fordfalconrepairmanuals.com. ... eries2.php

It also has quick click headers to take you to the exact part of the manual when looking from the index and sub-index headers.
Downloaded as a PDF onto the lappy so i have the manual close by in the shed and it comes in PDF form which i view through the Microsoft edge viewer.

This site covers most falcon manuals also but i cant comment on their quality as compared the this AU manual.

Cheers Joel

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next