Fordmods Logo

Building upon EL mont. Now has T5/short shifter & new engine 

Page 6 of 13 [ 195 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next

Post subject: Re: Building upon a 400 dollar EL Falcon. (and a new one now 2)
Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

oh.. it has a gas tank in the boot that is currently empty.. the fuel tank is totally empty too..so who knows how the back will sit when both are fuller.

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

The car has a very strange combination of parts on it.

If its a Ghia, it has a Gli/Futura Front on it, including quarter panel indicators.
Also looks to be missing the aerial switch in the dash, Does it have an elec aerial?
Also, the chrome numberplate surround on the back looks like a Fairlane/LTD item.

Looks good, colour works great with those wheels, clear tail lights look good on it too.

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

near as I can tell, some time in the past lots of the ghia bits were sold off and replaced with GLI..

the front end being one of them.. I have a set of Ghia repeaters here to go in...

I'm not fussed about the front end as I have my hybrid EL XR/ BA GT bar to go on after the trip over the pits..

As for the rear.. the surround was mine.. and it's NL fairlane.. I wanted to square up the back abit as I think they EF/EL's look a bit girly with all the slopey curves so I put the NL plate surround on and liked it..... so it stays.

I should add that I've already put my EL XR bonnet on.. just can't see it from the angles of the shots.

The instrument cluster is NL fairlaine too...with blue back lighting.. so yes.. this car has had what looks to be a very interesting history.

I'm not that fussed though.. my concerns were:

1. The vin and plates meant it was a ghia.
2. The body was devoid of rust and dents.
3. The engine was hot.

I got my wishes for all three so the rest doesnt' matter.

The dash loom is real fairmont as it has the footwell lights and stuff factory wired and not tacked on.. but above the pedals has been butchered by bad alarm/stereo fitting.. so I have another full Ghia loom that I pulled out of a car myself that is straight and clean and will be going in when I swap dashes.

Last edited by frankieh on Mon May 04, 2009 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

99% sure its a futura/gli done up as it is missing the electric aerial.
Havent seen many monts downgraded to a gli front..
Also all the interior buttons are black, EF style, EDIT scrap that, some are, some arent...
has the passenger side doorhandle lock missing..
damn bitsa's lol.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

The cruise control switches were put in by me... the original ones were grey, but cracked at the base and faded.

Figured since I was going for a black look anyway I might as well put the black switches in.

I used to have a web site I referenced whenever I needed to work out what a car was.. (meaning gli, futura, fairmont etc...) and I can't find it now.. but I do remember that if it has an 8 on the last number of the model, it's a Ghia... and this one has an 8..

If someone else with an EF/EL ghia could take a look at their compliance plate model number and tell me what it is..... it will be something like 18738
If it's a GLI it'd be 18733 (I know because my dark blue one is a gli and it's 33) I can't remember what the other options were...

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Door handle lock is my fault too.. both of the tumblers had been ripped out from attempted breakins.... so I put the handle from the other falcon (the gli) on it.... was toying with getting rid of the drivers lock too later so it looks cleaner.

The front guards and bar were all mismatched and misaligned and I had to loosen and adjust to get the EL XR bonnet to fit square with the guards.. so I think at some stage this car had a bit of a front end prang and was at least half stripped.. I think (total speculation though) that someone else realized that the radiator support and stuff was straight and undamaged and bought it and started piecing it back together with what they could get (badly if the front end was any indication) and the result is what I have now... doesn't matter regardless... it's straight and I am replacing most of everything as I go along anyway because I've collected huge wads of good condition XR/Ghia bits from my various trips around the place.

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

The NL surround looks good. The car is a hell of a mongrel, should look great when the front is on.

I'll check out my compliance plate for you and let you know.

Does it have the ghia's leather wheel? Handbrake lever? Parcel shelf with funny speaker grilles and a sub cut-out (sort-of)?

What about amp wiring in the RHS of the boot, just under the far edge of the carpet behind the tail-light?

Sure is an interesting car.

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:23 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 EB hybrid monster

QLD, Australia

Looking great frankieh, I think ford really hit it with the EL models, I reackon the EL's were the next best thing to a XY. Carnt wait to see it all together and running.

Weapon of choice, EB shell with a EL XR front powered by a BA engine.

BUILD THREAD: commercial-sponsors-forum-f53/the-hybrid-eb-build-dohc-xr6-ba-interior-and-a-el-xr-front-t77902.html

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yes it has the leather wheel... no to gear knob and hb... the ones that were in there were painted black and looked ugly so I put my normal GLI ones in.

As for the boot, yes it has the sub hole open.. no to the speakers because it appears to have had a custom stereo boot before... the floor of the boot is MDF and it has a 4x100rms response amp bolted to it (If it works, it's a nice bonus). There is however a cut off loom in the boot so I presume that is the old premium sound loom.

It also has under dash factory lights and other odds and the looms for the rear door power windows are factory not hacked in.

It is a bit of a mongrel for now.. but that isn't likely to change much with my plans.. the NL cluster and surround stays, but the entire cars loom is being replaced as this one has been butchered from the bad alarm and stereo install, and I have a spare ghia one here.

End result will be:
- Fairlaine door trims with padded armrests and side lights.
- Fairlane cluster.
- BA/BF Rims.
- AU SRII Seats
- NF Fairmont Ghia dash with EL fairmont ghia looms.
- BA/BF XR side skirts
- BA/BF shockwave paint.

and so on.. so the details are kinda pointless because if I get it exactly as I want it.. it'll be more of a bitsa than it is now.. :-)

Half of that stuff is already done actually. (rims, cluster, seats)

Last edited by frankieh on Mon May 04, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

smithykicks85 wrote:
Looking great frankieh, I think ford really hit it with the EL models, I reackon the EL's were the next best thing to a XY. Carnt wait to see it all together and running.

I agree..... only complaint i've ever had about EF/EL is the overly rounded tail lights..... but love the over all shape more than anything ford has put out since the XC coupe.

I think the NL garnish squares the back up nicely.... lessens one of my compaints about the rear.

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

frankieh wrote:
smithykicks85 wrote:

I agree..... only complaint i've ever had about EF/EL is the overly rounded tail lights..... but love the over all shape more than anything ford has put out since the XC coupe.

hmm, do we have a converted boxcar owner ? :wink:

e-series are good also because the rear guards are cut deep into the body, so 18" rims actually look like a decent size, whereas the broader guards of all the later models make 18's look like training wheels :lol:

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:

LOL.. yes.... you do.. until I found the EA sills full of rust.. I was going to put an EL XR front end on it to get the best of both worlds.. but the EL has grown on me now and I'm hoping the BA XR rear skirt also helps to square it out a bit more.

FordFairmont wrote:
e-series are good also because the rear guards are cut deep into the body, so 18" rims actually look like a decent size, whereas the broader guards of all the later models make 18's look like training wheels :lol:

Agreed.. I noticed the same thing myself yesterday.. 18's on a BA onwards look just average.. but look great on an E series...

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:39 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon EL 1998

VIC, Australia

So the AU seats fit straight into the EL ?
No Mod's required.

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

billy65 wrote:
So the AU seats fit straight into the EL ?
No Mod's required.

No, none of the AU seats fit without mods..

The front seats must be stripped and the seat and back bolted to the EL frame (which is easy cause they are mostly the same)

The rear seats are fiddley.. you have to remove the EL lock bolts for the seat back and create new ones. (au's just use a steel square loop.) and you also have to make lock tabs for the bollards and seat bottoms..

fiddley, but worth it if you put in the effort.. they loom much better than EL seats for the most parts. Give the choice again, I'd probably have grafted BA seats into it.

rgds

Frank

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

frankieh wrote:
FordFairmont wrote:

LOL.. yes.... you do.. until I found the EA sills full of rust.. I was going to put an EL XR front end on it to get the best of both worlds.. but the EL has grown on me now and I'm hoping the BA XR rear skirt also helps to square it out a bit more.

FordFairmont wrote:

Agreed.. I noticed the same thing myself yesterday.. 18's on a BA onwards look just average.. but look great on an E series...

ba gt rear bumper me brothers doing one for his wagon

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 13  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next