Fordmods Logo

Nicco's EF - New Direction - Page 19 

Page 18 of 31 [ 454 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 31  Next

Post subject: Re: Nicco's EF 5 Speed
Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: '97 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

Hey Nicco!
Let me know know when you are playing around with it and I'll be over to help or admire :)

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Fun! :D

Posted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: '97 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

All I can say is it's a sweet looking set up and can't wait to see it finished soon :D

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

What?? I finally let you all in on the secret and everyone bails out? Slack!!

Before you ask the question, no I havent taken it for a run yet. There is an idler pulley in the kit and it is out of alignment and as such has torn one rib off the belt. Geoff from Snort has been good about it and is getting another bracket made up for me and will refund me the cost of the new belt.

Hopefully that'll be here soon. So now onto the pictures:

Blower itself just before going on:

I extended the injector loom so it sits under the blower not on top of the manifold like it does in the stock setup. Looks way neater:

I also relocated the coil pack to a nicer to work on place. For all of you out there with an EF, you'll find the coil pack bolts drop directly through the bolt holes you can see i've used. A spanner fits down the back and is easy as to bolt in place with the standard screws. You can also see the leads are all standard and fit perfectly too - no. 6 is probly the only one a little bit long.

So that'll have to do until the drive test review comes back, as soon as the pulley bracket gets here.

Ohh and I had more goodness arrive in the mail today, and I should be ordering more goodness next week. But you'll have to wait until i install them to see what they are.Having said that, CRM80 should know what one is (check your phone man!! :lol:)

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Looks good. Not sure that spot is great for the coil packs though. They might get affected by the heat.

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

sex

Will be nice to see it running. Didn't get much from Dan's kit on his AU but that still a development kit on a tired motor. HURRY UP!

Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Good to see it all bolted up, looks great. I swear the M112 blower was made for the i6 motor, it looks at home in place of the BBM 8-)

Will be interesting to hear your thoughts on its performance when you get it up and running, I think I might be going this route with me EF as well :twisted:

I'm with Dansedgli regarding the coil pack location. If you want it on that side, maybe mounting it up higher at the top of the strut tower would be slightly better - I believe Troyman, and also PIMP_LTD relocated it this way.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2006 BF XR8 Boss 260

New Zealand

Looks good mate, what was the full cost, be nice to compare against killerwasps gained and/or compared to a turbo setup.

I

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon Monti

NSW, Australia

Nice work 8-)

Is that a new coolant overflow bottle?

BANNED USER

Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: '94 XG GLi 5 speed

NSW, Australia

Just read through the whole thread, great car your building up here Nicco..... I was interested to see the mods you have done on a student budget, gives me some inspiration and ideas :D

Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the comments guys, I'll go through and answer questions one by one.

Dan: With the coil pack, I personally reckon it will be fine, but I am aware it might cause some issues. If worst comes to worst I'll bend up a bit of heat shield material and stick it over the whole thing. It'll just be something I monitor for a while.

Sam: Even though Dan's was a development kit, there is not much different between his and mine - just mine is a brand new blower. Having said that, Dan still got a solid result - 194rwkw and solid torque. His kit also had a bit of a machining problem with the injector bosses, meaning that the manifold only held about 5psi. Mine should be somewhere from 7 - 9psi. Geoff was trying new machinists for a while there, hence why my kit took a while to be delivered - but we are confident that it should be right now.

Kwik: Yeah mate, it loks perfect in there, really fits well. I reckon painted satin black with the standard intake piping the untrained eye wouldn't even notice anything out of the ordinary. I'll be giving a road test review as soon as its driving. Geoff and I were talking today and he should be sending my new bracket today.

Deff: The kit costs $4000 with a magnasun MP112 blower. This was a slightly different kit with the 03-04 Mustang Cobra Eaton M112 blower, but that was a one off.

Tony: Yeah mate, new coolant bottle. I replace all the coolant hoses, heater tap, coolant bottle, coil pack and leads while doing the job. Cost me a bit of money, but it's nice to know everything is in excellent condition again. As for removing the BBM, its a pretty straight forward job, took me an hour or three, and I'm a fairly slow worker. Just take your time, mark which bolts came from where and you'll be laughing.

XGT5: Thanks man. The student budget thing can be a b**ch sometimes, but its fun to keep working on it while you can. You get good at looking through the classifides on places like this website though :lol:

Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

It's all up and running!! 8-) First impression is that it doesn't feel that quick... until you step back into a stock one!! then you really notice the difference. no but seriously, the torque curve feels the same as stock, it comes on at the same revs and pulls hard the same way as before, but just does it so much faster. It spins up through the revs so quickly. huge fan!!

the other time i notice it is when i've got a benchmark somewhere that I can normally work too. see huge differences there.

It's in desperate need of a tune, it has a lean miss going from coasting to light throttle, so i have been trying to keep driving it to a bare minimum.

the bloke i want to tune it wont be free for another 4 weeks, so that's going to be a long wait. In the mean time I am going to try and get the datalogger in and working properly (got it half in back in May then lost interest big time :lol: ), maybe have a bit of a play myself.

Next installments, (i may as well spill the beans here, cbf'd keeping it a secret :lol:) once it is tuned and running properly, new gearbox, install the lokka (i have one in the garage ready to go) with a set of 3.7:1 gears, then, when the bank balance recovers, paint.

Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

been tuning it a bit myself over the last few weekends, man it motors along now!! When you actually give it some curry from standing, it moves really, really quickly. Feels strong as. I'm a huge fan. Even my housemate with the lightly tuned XR6t had to concede it piled on speed without any fuss! :D

lean miss is completely gone, still goes a little lean in a few points, i just need more time to fine tune it.

still not quite sure that a J3 is the right tool to be tuning it with, but the engineer i want to go to needs me to still be running a standard ecu to get around having to do an emmissions test.

Unfortunately, I have cracked my exhaust somewhere along it's length (by product from using the auto cross member with a T5 and not getting around to getting a middle hanger re-installed) and now the car sounds like a tractor. Considering getting a 3" with Pacemaker comps on it and a new cat. Quote was $1600 fitted. Good price? I'm not sure how much I should be paying for a 3" exhaust?

looks like I might have picked up a set of 4.11 gears for nothing from a bloke from work too, he is going to bring them up for me in his hand luggage when he flies out to work! :lol: I'm fairly sure they are going to be a bit too short, 3.7s are what I'd really like.

Parts I'm chasing (if anyone can help out):
2-bar GM MAP sensor so I can tune the car more accurately, the one I have set up is only a 1 bar (didn't realise when i bought it).
3.7 or 3.45 gears (swaps for a set of 4.11s?)

Other than that, I have confirmed I'm going ahead with the next big mod to go with the blown motor... one or two people will have already seen what it is off other forums. Confirmed on Thursday, although I havent paid for it yet.

Hopefully it'll be here in a couple of weeks... :D :wink:

Post subject: Re: Nicco's M112 Blown EF 5 Speed
Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: XW, EL, Territory, VFR800

Power: 129 rwkw

SA, Australia

Still waiting to see some power figures nicco!

$1600 seems a little rich for a 3". But then again, using PM 4480's and a brand-name CAT will beef the price up a bit.

Simon L down here got his 3" CAT back system made up for $500 in mild steel with a single muffler. All depends on the cost of headers. Would the PM comps you were quoted simply standard 4480's with a 3" flange on the end of it? Would be nice to get some custom tuned length headers with this set up...

Post subject: Re: Nicco's M112 Blown EF 5 Speed
Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Good to hear it's going a bit better now Nicco. Once the tune is fully sorted it should make for a very fun car to drive.

$1600 for that extractors/cat/exhaust system does sound a bit steep IMO. With the exhaust you could always buy a 3" mandrel bent over-the-diff section/tailpipe suited to e-series V8's and get the centre section custom made in 3" mandrel pipe from the cat back. Should save you a bit that way, rather than getting a full 3" exhaust custom made as it's the rear section over the diff that will cost a bit to get done. You could shop around for the 4480's on ebay, take them to an exhaust joint to get them reflanged to a 3" outlet and get a 3" hi-flow cat flanged so it all bolts up.

Hope that makes ^^ lol, but that's how I'd go about it..

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Sort by  
 Page 18 of 31  [ 454 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 31  Next