Fordmods Logo

RD's EDL Hybrid Wagon 

Page 9 of 42 [ 617 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 42  Next

Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

Made some good progress on the EL side of things today, even though I started 3 hours "late" 'cause we slept in.

So far removed from the EL are:

RH Front Guard
Front bar
Headlights

Engine & Transmission
K Frame

Thanks to BenJ & Luke for popping over to assist with the final engine/trans extraction - very much appreciated.

The engine & trans will get a clean, paint and be installed as is into the ED. The K frame is also detined for the ED after it is seam welded to strengthen it a bit and stop flexing.

All that is coming later. Pics below. (sorry about the crap pictures, the camera is playng up)

I have also been scoping out the seat mount situation and have found that I won't have to cut anything from either car. I started with the passenger side of the EL to try things out and found that if I drill out the spot welds, the whole seat mount panel will come out. So I will finish up drilling both sides seat mounts plus the centre tunnel which will give me the rear inner seat mounts, the handbrake mount and probably a coupld of other things.

The good thing about all this is that the actual structure of the car will be untouched as the mount and tunnel are spot welded over the top of the bottom infrastructure. Bonus plus!

Pics of that process and progress tomorrow..

Cheers
RD

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Ill cruise out on Monday sometime mate and see what we can get organised to get that stuff done for you.
I would be much happier stitch welding the K frame but instead of seam welding it. Reason being they are bith as strong as each other. But if you get a crack with a seam weld it will travell eventually the full length of the weld considerably weakening it. A stitch weld will only crack the length of that weld (around 1-1 1/2") which will weaken it about 2 drops of fairy piss.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Ill cruise out on Monday sometime mate and see what we can get organised to get that stuff done for you.
I would be much happier stitch welding the K frame but instead of seam welding it. Reason being they are bith as strong as each other. But if you get a crack with a seam weld it will travell eventually the full length of the weld considerably weakening it. A stitch weld will only crack the length of that weld (around 1-1 1/2") which will weaken it about 2 drops of fairy piss.

Sounds great matey, I should have the seats mounts and tunnels out of both cars by then, drilling permitting and how good the kids do at getting the interior out of the ED :)

No probs on the K frame, whatever you think is best. The whole reason to do it is to tightem it up a little more than the standard spot welds and stop flexing, thereby improving handling and front end setup.

See ya Monday!

Cheers
RD

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Spent the day continuing on with my experiment to remove the EL's seat mounts in once piece and I must say things have worked out very well. After spending the day drilling out the spot welds, this is what is left in the EL:

And this is what you get once removed:

This section contains 3 out of the 4 seats mounts, the handbrake mount and the console mount. As you can see the inner rear mounts are very different on the EL.

Next, after stripping the seats and carpet out of the ED, this is what an ED tunnel and seat mounts looks like:

As you can see the ED does not have any secondary tunnel at all but has a stand for the rear of the console. The floor is also covered in that tar type black stuff

Next, this is what the EL's tunnel and mounts look like set in place in the ED to check things:

I have since started drilling out the ED's seats mounts, have removed the rear console mount and have cleared the black tar stuff off the floor around the EL's tunnel pattern. Early in the morning I will finish up removing the ED's seat mounts and then will clean things up for welding the EL's tunnel & mounts in.

More as we (myself and EVL098) install the new EL bits in the ED.

Cheers
RD

Last edited by racedirector on Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

Good work RD. This is something that I sometimes wish I did to mine rather than modifying the seat mounts. If only I had a donor vehicle and a heap of space....

BTW what was wrong with your donor vehicle anyway? Looks in good shape in your pictures.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Looks good mate. Give the paint above the holes from the factory spot welds a good grind and clean up and we will zap it in like original. Nice and easy and looks factory.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

banarcus wrote:
Good work RD. This is something that I sometimes wish I did to mine rather than modifying the seat mounts. If only I had a donor vehicle and a heap of space....

BTW what was wrong with your donor vehicle anyway? Looks in good shape in your pictures.

Thanks matey

I did it this way as I will be installing stock EL seats in the ED and plan to upgrade to better ones in the future, preferably NL or similar leather. By doing this I won't have to modify any seat rails which is good as I don't currently have any welding equipment.

As for the EL, she had a punch in the rear which bent the chassis rails and the rear panels. Reapirable write off they called it :)

Cheers
RD

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Looks good mate. Give the paint above the holes from the factory spot welds a good grind and clean up and we will zap it in like original. Nice and easy and looks factory.

Cool, will do. There will be a few holes in the ED floor hat will need spot filling but far less than in the EL. The ex-spotweld holes will make for nice welding spots in the ED and once cleaned up will look factory like you said :)

Cheers
RD

Posted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:

All done on the replacement bits. Just annoyed the hell out of the neighbors with grinding noises coming from my garage :) Just the bits in the ED to come out and a bit of grinding on the floor to clean things up to do in the morning.

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The ED now has bolt in EL seats! Pics later if there is any interest....

Cheers
RD

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thats old news mate.........................hahahahahaha

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Thats old news mate.........................hahahahahaha

Hahahaha! You're just part of the RD in-crowd, those who have inside knowledge :)

Ok, I'll put pics up anyway...

First up, this is what the ED spat out, never to be used again:

After tacking the replacements in to ensure they were in the right place, EVL098 did his thing:

After all that welding which included a couple of breaks because it was getting so DAMN HOT... we ended up with this:

Then crossing fingers and everything thing else I could, I installed the EL's seats. All the mounts lined up 100% perfect, a testimony to EVL098's tacking and welding :)

This is the snazzy new rear seat mount allowing unmodified EL etc seats to be fitted:

What this also gives me the is right seat spacing for the handbrake, the mount for which is already in the car now. To complete the cabin side of things for the handbrake I have to bore a hole in the floor for the EL's grommet and cable.

Last thing to do for now is transfer the EL's seat belts over and that will be it for a week at least. With the school holidays end fast approaching, I had better do some stuff with my kids before moving onto the next stage of my transformation.

A very big thank you goes to to EVL098 for all his hard work. Great company today mate, I enjoyed the chat along the way :)

Cheers
RD

Last edited by racedirector on Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Not a problem mate. Its fun to weld the crap out of someone elses car!
Interesting conversation and company for sure.
Thanks for the bonnet and rear garnish too will do the job nicely.

"Hello , this is Booot Booot from gooneystan , may I interest you in buying a camel today............................"

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:00 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

good work an looks good mate

SWAP MY DL LTD V8 Sunroof Leather Sports Exhaust Gas Tint
FOR A SEDAN OR STATION WAGON 6

0413843332 Paul

Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
"Hello , this is Booot Booot from gooneystan , may I interest you in buying a camel today............................"

HAHAHA! Gotta love those Private calls :)

purped wrote:
good work an looks good mate

Thanks matey. A little different than most people but it suits my purposes. Lots more to go yet.....

Cheers
RD

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 42  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 42  Next