Fordmods Logo

RD's EDL Hybrid Wagon 

Page 33 of 42 [ 617 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 42  Next

Post subject: Re: RD's EDL Hybrid Wagon
Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

Thank you fiendie me ole mate, I'll use the 8mm rod idea of I need to.

As for the rest, well normal springs are fine for me - I don't want too harsh a ride with ute springs. With heavy duty shocks back there along with the spring changeover it should be fine. And yup, I am aware of the diff stuff when doing springs, have done far too many of them so far :)

Cheers
RD

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well, the front end is disassembled with only the rack to come out. Bought all my stuff today so it is all on. Will be borrowing Rachs car tomorrow to get the balljoints done and get any supplies I need.

I had to do the job today as the suspension place I get the balljoints done at don't do them on Saturdays, so tomorrow is it if I want to keep to my Monday back on the road timetable. I am well on track to get everything I planned done so that has to be a good thing.

It actually looks like the radius rod bushes have been done at some stage as the standard rubber ones are no longer there. The wheel bearings look to have been done not long ago as well as they are in perfect nick - the had some lovely blue grease in them and not the normal goop that you usually find.

Anyway, off to shower now, high heat today plus rain while I was doing it makes for some messy stuff :)

Cheers
RD

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

racedirector wrote:
EVL098 wrote:
Sounds the goods RD.
I will be having an ABS system available soon.................... :mrgreen:

You would, your as bad as me with bits lying around :) Not quite ready to buy ABS systems, have just managed to convince Rach I need all of the above bits. Just out of interest, the ABS wouldn't be EL would it?

Nah its actually EF mate. Didint know there was a difference between EF and EL on the ABS.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
racedirector wrote:
EVL098 wrote:
Sounds the goods RD.
I will be having an ABS system available soon.................... :mrgreen:

You would, your as bad as me with bits lying around :) Not quite ready to buy ABS systems, have just managed to convince Rach I need all of the above bits. Just out of interest, the ABS wouldn't be EL would it?

Nah its actually EF mate. Didint know there was a difference between EF and EL on the ABS.

I dunno if there is a difference either, I am just a pedantic bugger and want to keep everything EL :)

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I believe the word is ANAL buddy....... :mrgreen:

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
I believe the word is ANAL buddy....... :mrgreen:

Hehehehehehe, thats me matey :D

Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:56 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

racedirector wrote:
EVL098 wrote:
Didint know there was a difference between EF and EL on the ABS.
I dunno if there is a difference either, I am just a pedantic bugger and want to keep everything EL :)
Early EF's have a different Bosch unit to the later EF's and EL's. The earlier unit is pictured in the ABS doco. The Bosch units are again different to the EB/ED Bendix units in that the modulator and ECU are the one unit.
racedirector wrote:
Anyone know the size of the bolt holding the rear leaf springs together? I might grab a couple to have a spares when I do the business......
An HT bolt, nut and washer around the same size as the spring holes will do - the actual items are hard to find, and are expensive for what they are. The originals will most likely be badly corroded.
I'll take your spare leafs for $$$ Bruce . . .

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
racedirector wrote:
Anyone know the size of the bolt holding the rear leaf springs together? I might grab a couple to have a spares when I do the business......
An HT bolt, nut and washer around the same size as the spring holes will do - the actual items are hard to find, and are expensive for what they are. The originals will most likely be badly corroded.
I'll take your spare leafs for $$$ Bruce . . .

Thanks matey, just need to locate an HT bolt, used to run titanium ones in our race cars but haven't got any of those left :)

I don't actually have any spare springs, the last set went with my wreck. All the experimenting will be done on my "live" set :)

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok, the SS steering rack is in and one side of the front end is back in. Got a great deal on my balljoint job 'cause it was Friday, had to do with beer o'clock :)

Question: the SS steering racks have a different arrangement when it comes to hoses (or so it seems), the holes seem to be arranged differently. I have connected the pressure line from the pump to the "upper" hole and the return line to the "lower" hole - looking down from the bonnet direction - am I correct? This is the only way I could get the hoses to actually screw in....

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Happy to report the front end is now done. Chris (a_total_tool) called over to double check my steering hose config and we managed to get the rack bled fine. I did actually get it right when I put it together.

Have been for a quick drive with the new suspension bits and the SS rack and.... wow! The rack certainly makes a difference!!! The suspension feels nice and tight too. All that has to be done is to get a wheel alignment and some new tyres and everything will be set.

I am just about to start on the back, including the spring reset so I'll report back later...

Cheers
RD

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Excellent work RD.

Looking forward to news re the back end.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok, I have one side out and the springs separated. The bolt holding them altogether actually came out without too much hassle. One end seems to be round (should it have been) so I locked that in the vice and slowly undid the other end with some assistance from CRC 556 . I now have the small leaf off and turned over but my clamps aren't big enough so I am off to Bunnies to grab a couple that are. If all goes well with this side I will take action shots of the other side as I do it. Interesting times ahead :)

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Well, the first spring is done and, in my opinion, was a PITA. Still, it's done now and back on the car. I have an issue I need to sort out with the diff not quite locating on the hat but I was dying to see what it looked like.

To my amazement, it actually works! As far as I can tell it is lower on the adjusted spring side than the side with the lowering block in it. I tried to take some pics with Rach's phone but they came out crap. I need new batteries for our daughters camera so will snap some in the morning and then will document the process with the other spring, that's if I don't decide to do it tonight :)

Just a quick rundown.....

- Remove spring from car.
- Undo the centering bolt.
- Take the small leaf off the bottom, flip over and put on the top.
- Apply two 6" G-clamps and slowly clamp the spring down, alternating between the two clamps.
** NOTE: MAKE SURE THE HOLES LINE UP IN ALL LEAVES. Got caught by this one and had to start again.
- When you get close and a bolt will go through all leaves, use the bolt to finish off the compression.
- Close the clamps up hard on the spring and remove the temporary bolt, replace with the final HT bolt (mine was original)
- Refit to the car

You will need either the original centre bolt or one that protrudes from both ends. These protrusions are used to locate the hat and lower plate on the spring, which in turn locates the diff.

I promise pics when I can, we just seem to be short of damn batteries at the moment....

Cheers
RD

Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:00 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Done this method about a month ago, does work quite well, lowered the back around 1.75-2.0".
You can use a long shaft screw driver sitting in the leaf holes to keep them aligned.

Apart from an EL ghia ECU, an EL Fairmont ECU has the drivers to run the SSPS rack also. The plug should be present in the wiring (white colour), if it's EL futura or better.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ok, all done. Sorry, no pics of the process as we don't have a working camera and I wanted to get it done before it got too hot.

One tip I can offer for squashing the small leaf onto the rest though. Instead of using only clamps, get yourself some 5/16 threaded rod. Cut a section long enough to go through all leaves and put double nuts on one end. Then screw another nut from the top and keep tightening. As you get closer to the end you'll need assistance from the clamps but it goes alot quicker and keeps all the holes lined up in the process.. Once it is all snug, tightly clamp it and remove the threaded rod and replace with your high tensile bolt.

The result? Well it is actually lower than my 1 1/2" blocks and has the advantage that my springs are not as close to the ground as they were. With heavy duty shocks fitted the ride is the same if not better than the blocks and it handles the school speed humps very well. Handles pretty good too although now I want a bigger sway bar in the front plus a rear swaybar to tighten it all up.

All in all I am very happy with the result and have a more stock looking suspension than before. Off now to get the camera working so I can take some final result shots.

Cheers
RD

Sort by  
 Page 33 of 42  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 42  Next