Fordmods Logo

'She Devil' AUII XR6 VCT Ute 

Page 4 of 10 [ 145 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

Post subject: steering wheel leather dying
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: "08 XR6T Ute

QLD, Australia

the leather on my steering wheel has just worn through, got a hole about the diameter of your finger at around the 1 o'clock position.

just wondering what the best way to fix it is... after a quick think these are the options i came up with:
- get it re-covered in leather (slightly modified - blue section where the seams are at the bottom)
- buy a new one/one from a wreckers

any opinions/information would be greatly appreciated
cheers.

ps if anyone has any input on the question i have in the post above, that would be greatly appreciated also.

"08 XR6T Ute

Post subject: Re: 'She Devil' AUII XR6 VCT Ute
Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

can anyone help? (as above)

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

I have the same problem with my bf. I haven't got around to seeing about getting it re-upholstered yet. but it's gotta be cheaper than a replacement..... funnily enough my au ute wheel is ok and it's been more abused.

I've noticed working with steel that I get alot of oils in my skin, even after thorough washing, it leeches back out of my skin. I think that's what destroys my wheels because I have a history of it.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Well I don't know how much replacement/wreckers would be, but I have asked an upholstery place and he said around it was rediculously expensive... Unfortunately didn't give me a number, but I'm not liking the sound of it.

That would make sense, I have noticed that it plays up the days following a dirty day at work...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Also a 2nd hand unit runs the risk of going the same way very soon. re-upholstered is essentially brand new,also with the option of custom colours. My suggestion would be to find someone that is interested :wink: People that aren't interested in your job don't deserve your money anyway.

There was a place I found on the boards here a while back that did replacement wheels for late model cars and stocked the ford ones at reasonable prices, with shifters also. Sorry can't remember where though :oops:

Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah, after thinking some more and seeing some prices. I think getting it re-upholstered is the way to go. Now I just have to figure out what the go with the unit on the roof is, cause I want to figure that out sooner rather then later. Cause the roof needs re-lining while I'm at it :/

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

mine does to I'm working on doing it myself. needs to be black like the rest of the interior. 2002 falcon ute reminds me of the old pre 90's vn's that you see getting around with 'flappy roof syndrome' lol.

Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

All black interior aye, that'd look pretty good... I was thinking of doing the same, but not sure how to colour everything properly. How much have you made black? Visors, map lights, mirror, etc?

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Nothing yet lol, ford done most of it for me. That's why I thought it poor form to leave the top half. I remember reading somewhere that the headlining material is designed for acoustics which is why it's dimpled. I want to dynamat the roof when I do the headlining so waiting for a long enough weekend :roll: Not looking forward to dynamatting upside down.

Plastic panels I would just paint, using a chem. prep. or similar. when they do fade or crack they're easy enough to take out & make look new again.

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

haha fair enough, ford should try better next time.
Yeah, i heard the same thing about the head lining but doesnt effect me... the lining i have now feels like felt sorta. I was thinking of doing the same thing when i get mine relined, how much would you need/guess on cost?

hmm... more ideas now floating around my head. transfer the dash colour on to the pillars/roof/etc, then go with some ford blue highlights around the car... though would get some of the parts professionally done (eg the sun visors relined - though undecided on blue or black).

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I use the cheap dna dnyamat it works out nearly half price compared to the brandname dynamat, and most places only sell dynamat standard which is the same as the dna stuff anyway. From memory 6 sheets 300x300 was only $60-$70 that would be enough for the roof. Getting things upholstered is where the moneys at :wink:

I've always wondered how you'd go about dipping interior panels in thin plastic/rubber to give a long lasting change of colour AND texture. Always hated the cheap plastic feel of interior bits.a light plastic coating would look better, feel better & insulate noise and heat better.

Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

where do you get yours from?

hmmm... thats an interesting idea, would be hard to pull off well though i recon. But i do agree it would be better for heat and sound insulation.
i was thinking about the whole texture thing today, i was just going to paint some of my parts with vinyl paint but i dont just want a flat finish... no idea how to get a good quality finish but also have some form of texture...

"08 XR6T Ute

Post subject: 'She Devil' AUII XR6 VCT Ute
Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

well... christmas was good, although i didnt get anything directly related to my car... i did get something that will help me with a project. My parentals got me a 170volt inverter stick/tig welder and an auto welding mask, so if all goes well in the coming weeks... i will be sketching up a scale model of the tray that i want to build and then of course using my christmas presents to build it.
soon i should have some sketches up and then hopefully a picture of the finished (or at least started) project.

also, a little off topic... i got a rally experience thing from my sister and her husband. so gotta figure that out soon. very much looking forward to giving that a go... :)

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

*170AMP if it were 170volt you couldn't use it in this country :P lol nice score. Hook in and get burnt lol.
I've got alot of mates who have done the v8 supercar n formula ford experience thing and reckon it's awesome but I've always told my missus, if you buy me one make it a rally one. It's a bit more of a rush when theres a solid tree going past at 200km/h than an almost flat chicane I feel. Each to their own though.

On the interior parts: I've seen heaps of things successfully rubber coated, it's getting it done is the hard part.

Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

can you tell im not a boily lol i rang a place today about getting a TIG torch/regulator for it, alot cheaper than i thought though im yet to see about the price of gas...

yeah i sorta thought the same about the rush, though if someone gave me a V8 experience i wouldnt give it back :D

i assume its a thing that not alot of people would do...

"08 XR6T Ute

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 10  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next