skidder's (soon to be less) ugly manual irs AU 

Page 4 of 9 [ 133 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

Post subject: Re: skidder's new car.
Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

So got my pocket today and fitted my head unit (thanks to cczfairmont for the pocket). Ended up being a pain in the a*** as I don't have the standard pioneer brackets, and obviously the brackets out of my EL are no good. Luckily it turned out that there is a screw hole on the back of the head unit in a close enough position to that of where the standard double din positioning prong was.

Won't be any further updates (apart from maybe fitting headers/rest of soundsystem) until late january unfortunately as I leave in 24 days to go surfing in the pacific for a couple of weeks, and having just bought two new boards, paid for my trip and paid rego the financial situation allows no room for car mods :( Things will get interesting in the first six months of next year though.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Post subject: Re: skidder's AU
Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Got bored this week and had some time off so fitted my headers and cat. Apart from having to weld another mount onto the cat flange (AU has 2 mounts on for cat) was easy -lined up perfectly with stock exhaust on the AU after coming off my EL. Curiously the flange I had put on the back of the cat had two holes in it for either a 2.25 or 2.5 flange to bolt up which was helpful as I retained the stock exhaust.

As I had some time on my hands and a scrap sheet of galvanised steel I tarted making up a heatshield as my last car was noticably hotter under the bonnet after fitting headers. This is just a prototype work in process. Still gotta put proper welds along the seams of the round bit (which is to clear #3/4 primary, can't remember which one).

Due to a blonde moment the hump is actually around 5mm lower than what I intended, and whilst still clearing the primary the clearance is tiny (less than 1mm). I have a feeling this may end up vibrating/hitting and making unwanted noises when the engine moves, so I am going to weld in a bracket that goes around the primary (hence the marked rectangle on top of the hump).

If I made one again would definately not do this as obviously is going to transfer more heat into the heat shield, but I shall see how it goes.

Also found the LSD tag on the diff while I was under there. Suspected it had one but hadn't checked before. Stoked.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: TS40

VIC, Australia

hey skidder, nice progress on the au...

re the stock susspension height, they come standard 1 inch higher than the 2 and 3
wish i got one of those head unit plugs, would have been so much easier
with the headunit pocket i just replaced mine with this... alot better than the pocket and only $30
http://www.fordmods.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65388&start=107
part number for a grey one is
Single DIN fascia for AU - Aerpro FP9140
can get them from repco, supercheap auto, autobarn etc...

Cheers Cam

Was - 2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

Now - 2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock... and a Fuel Card :)

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Been ages since I have updated this due to being on holidays/work etc. A minor update, my headunit died and was going to fix it, but then ended up just buying a new one. Got this clarion one for $500 with the ipod cord included (admittedly have spent more clams at this store than I care to remember). It has the s**t equalizer settings known to man but I am not too fazed as I don't intend to put any decent gear in anyway, just the leftover hertz/jbl stuff I have sitting. Being able to use a touchscreen to select ipod songs has made my life so much easier though.

Anyway onto the fun stuff. Do rear brakes off Ba/bf/fg fit straight onto an AU irs rear end? If not what are my options?

Cheers Nick

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

On uni holidays now so got some goodies to entertain me.

First up bought some Superlow springs that have been compressed a further 10mm apparently. Regardless on a v8 fairlane they sat slightly lower than the height I was planning for and was only $80 for all 4. Got KYB struts front and back to match and a Fulcrum Superpro camber kit for the front.

Over the last week it came to my attention that my exhaust has rusted where it joins the resonator, so today placed an order for a 2.5" flange, gasket, 1m 2.5" exhaust pipe, 2 x 20 degree mandrel bends, a Hooker Aerochamber offset/centre 2.5" muffler and a 2.5" hot dog. Plan is to run the flange, bends to suit, then hotdog, pipe and then muffler. After I do this will take it to *Somewhere who quoted $110 to make up a straight through tailpipe from the diff back (as I am too lazy). All this will end up costing me $365, which is cheaper than the quotes I got for a fitted redback system to suit AU IRS (costs a bit more than solid axle). If all gets delivered before the weeknd will Mig it up sunday or monday next week :D

Will post up some pics as I get them.

Also replaced my diff oil about a month ago with some 140w as it was single pegging. Seems to have improved my traction a bit in the wet on part throttle, but still single pegs when I try to spin them in the dry. Will have to look at a rebuild/lokka in the future but will be getting put off until after I get some wheels (want some AU xr 17's before next tire change in approx 15000km).

EVL098 wrote:

Last edited by skidder on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

skidder wrote:
Anyway onto the fun stuff. Do rear brakes off Ba/bf/fg fit straight onto an AU irs rear end? If not what are my options?

Cheers Nick

The calpier needs to be spaced inboard 3mm, apart from that, yes!

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Awesome. The brakes have been put on hold for a bit as I had a few expenses come up when I sold my wheels. After I get 17's and some tax money will look at doing AU2 conversion/territory brakes.

Suspension gear:

First of the Exhaust stuff:

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I had to cut my rear resonator off today as it was about to fall off, can I get pinged for having the exhaust end about 1ft after the diff? I have a bad feeling I can as boot forms part of the cabin and it doesn't go past the boot; fingers and toes crossed I don't get pinged before I get to put the new exhaust on monday :(

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EF gli, EF Fairmont, ZH Fairlane

TAS, Australia

skidder wrote:
I had to cut my rear resonator off today as it was about to fall off, can I get pinged for having the exhaust end about 1ft after the diff? I have a bad feeling I can as boot forms part of the cabin and it doesn't go past the boot; fingers and toes crossed I don't get pinged before I get to put the new exhaust on monday :(

nice car mate.

where i am its about 6 inches past last exit from memory, altho i never got pulled up in my old ef with the exhaust at the diff and that was loud (extractors high flow cat and 2.5 inch sports exhaust 1 muffler no resinator) had it like the for 6 months or so.

how loud is it at the moment? just dont drive it to attract attention and you'll be fine.

Daily: 1994 EF Falcon GLI, few mods with many more planned.

Soon to be daily: 1995 EF Fairmont, mostly stock.

Restoration: 1997 ZH Fairlane 500, 351 auto.

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ahh I could be alright then. It isn't too loud but has this embarrassing drone to it so I have been trying to drive as quiet as possible :roll:

I just want my hooker to turn up as it is all I'm waiting on till I can get the ball rolling :lol:

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Got the exhaust done today, really happy with it and wasn't too difficult to get everything to line up properly. At the moment made a temporary dump pipe (at the diff), but goes first thing in the morning to *somewhere to get the tailpipe done. I have a heap of pics that I will put up tomorrow when it is all done.

EVL098 wrote:

Last edited by skidder on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Sweet! :D

Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Here's some piccies as is.
Butchering old exhaust for hangers.

Tacking the 2 x 20degree S bend out of the flange.

Tacked hotdog to straight.

Positioning the hooker.

Hanging the hooker.

All tacked.

Delicious gasless mig welds :roll:

How did I become so fly.

Done.

Hectik (with a k) dump pipe.

EVL098 wrote:

Post subject: Re: skidder's AU - piccies of hooker pg 4
Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

I think a video of the exhaust note is in order :P. It's coming along nicely dude, good work :wink:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Post subject: Re: skidder's AU - piccies of hooker pg 4
Posted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ford au

QLD, Australia

nice work, if ya did it ya self, where abouts did u get the pipe from, ive been trying to get some for a while now

Daily Driver, Series 1 Au Forte

Quote:
Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 9  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next