Post subject: Re: The hybrid EB build, DOHC xr6, ba interior and a el xr front
Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

smithykicks85 wrote:
Froudey wrote:
your in-sane man, nah if ya done right the first time do it yaself. how much did ya pick the doors up for or were they damaged ones?

Dude to save BIG BUCKS just pick up some damaged ones, make sure the damage it just on the outside skin, and take a few tools down and tell them youll take it off yourself. I got my 4 for around the hundred mark, they were badly damaged on the outside also check for rust.

I thought it would of been something like that.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:09 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1992 EB hybrid monster

QLD, Australia

Also a few other things i forgot to mention that i have oreder. I picked up a XR BA dash just this week, so it should arrive off the truck sometime this following week, also iv been in contact with a fella named Paul who is making me a scorcher rear bar at the moment, unsure when itll be here but it shouldnt be to far off also he seems like a good fella, and finally i spent my last dollar making a BIG decision on the bonnet choice. I was gonna pick up an old 2nd bonnet and cut the brasing off, BUT for several reasons i am not to keen on the whole idea because: your taking away vital strength in the bonnet, a low spot may appear after removing it making the bonnet look terribel in the light, the transport could possibely fine you if they did an inspection on your vechile (dont quote me on that as i am only guessing) and finally i think i read in the latest issue of street fords (that nice looking EB with the BA engine in it) i think they mensioned they still had troubel with the engine just touching the bonnet after they cut it, After doing alot of research i thaught of just cutting a hole and having a BA buldge in it (they are cheap to) but after seeing a few failed attempts of crafting fibre glass to steel and it slowly peeling off that idea also scared me. Then i found an alternative) Its been on my mind for the past few weeks, the only thing thats scaring me is the price, how ever i just made the swift purchase of a complete EF fibre glass bonnet with the BA buldge moulded in, This will prove to be very structually sound and i shouldnt have to mod anything under it, also it wont peel away at the buldge because its made of all the same material (fibreglass) cost me an arm and a leg $750, but in doing so i hope that this is a safer alternative, mide you if the engine still rubs i could eazily customise with fibre glass and i wouldnt have to worry about low spots on top of the bonnet. Heres a pic of it, i hope he doesnt mind me using his photo (mind you i spent a bit of coin so i should be allowed to at least show you) any ways if you want one they are on Ebay, but he only makes them for all EF's and only EL xr's, not el futuras or gli's.... let us know what you think of the idea???

Attachment:
!BNr7-RgB2k~$(KGrHgoOKkYEjlLmbku,BJq4nhu(N!~~_1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Weapon of choice, EB shell with a EL XR front powered by a BA engine.

BUILD THREAD: commercial-sponsors-forum-f53/the-hybrid-eb-build-dohc-xr6-ba-interior-and-a-el-xr-front-t77902.html

Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Also i notice sometimes when i go to this page it doesnt load all the pics for the BA door trim post, just hit refresh on your interent browser it seems to load all the pics, it could just be my crappy PC.

BUILD THREAD: commercial-sponsors-forum-f53/the-hybrid-eb-build-dohc-xr6-ba-interior-and-a-el-xr-front-t77902.html

Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 94 ED falcon

QLD, Australia

smithykicks85 wrote:
.....o yeah before i go a big thanks to itlookslikeaxr6 for telling me about photo bucket. cheers mate..

Woo go me! Glad to help man, looks like its made it alot easier to post up your build. Who doesn't like a build thread with lots of pictures....besides dial up users.

Your work is great, awesome idea with the doors. That bonnet, all thou is has caused you to loose and i quote,

smithykicks85 wrote:
... an arm and a leg...

it sounds like its up for the job. In the long run it ssounds like it will work out cheaper and easier with it being easier to modify.

Regards,

Michael.

Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: TS40

VIC, Australia

smithykicks85 wrote:
i think i read in the latest issue of street fords (that nice looking EB with the BA engine in it) i think they mensioned they still had troubel with the engine just touching the bonnet after they cut it,

did you notice the fordmods.com sticker across the windscreen :)

Was - 2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

Now - 2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock... and a Fuel Card :)

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED GLi Classic

VIC, Australia

Subscribed. What an insane build. You're nuts! :P

Good luck!

RIP Chelsea
96 EF2 Gli - T5 / Exedy / Wade 977b / P+P / JMM Extractors, 2.5" / Port matched BBM / and more
bmICE

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Smithy.. if the front of the ba trim fit to the el door fine, why replace the whole inside skin when you could have just grafted the AU back section on and blended it to get the same result.. as an added benefit you'd have been able to keep all the EL pw and cl as is.

just a thought....

looks fantastic though.

rgds

Frank

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:56 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

frankieh wrote:
Smithy.. if the front of the ba trim fit to the el door fine, why replace the whole inside skin when you could have just grafted the AU back section on and blended it to get the same result.. as an added benefit you'd have been able to keep all the EL pw and cl as is.

just a thought....

looks fantastic though.

rgds

Frank

Yeah i did think of just doing the back piece, but now all the bolt holes line up perfect and its a great fit. Also some other things line up better like the speakers (i noticed the e-series ones sit alot lower on the trim) and i also had the problem with the trim sitting over the top lip of the e -series door, it shouldnt be to hard moding the electric mechanism.

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

i was thinking that this opens up the possiblity of putting AU and BA to BF trims into EA to EL etc

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

This is great work you are doing. Well beyond the average DIY handiman though.

I look forward to the continuing updates.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Froudey wrote:
i was thinking that this opens up the possiblity of putting AU and BA to BF trims into EA to EL etc

Yeah it would be a major upgrade from the EF/L trims. It really isnt to hard if you can get your hands on a welder and a few tools, also if you know someone who's a beater, boiler or fabricator that helps. But any e-series would look great with AU-BA/F trims, unsure of FG ones if they are a similar set up.

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

Well i just got home, just stayed back from work to grind up the welds and apply a skim of body filler through, then undercoat with some DP40 then some prime, heres the end result:

heres it all sanded back, ready for a skim of filler, next door i do i think ill take the plate in futher, trying to make the welds hide behind the trim, see how i go, still got another 3 doors to do :(
Attachment:
05052009303.jpg

After a big coat of primer:
Attachment:
05052009304.jpg

And another.
Attachment:
05052009306.jpg

Thanks for all the comments and support to readers, ill be sure to keep yous up to date.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 94 ED falcon

QLD, Australia

Wow, looking as if you brought it new like that.

Great work, im sure in time you will get all 4 done. It will look great and id say your the first to ever do this.

Keep it up, will be watching, waiting.

Regards,

Michael.

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

geez mate, well done on the in depth descriptions of whats going on here. Defintely keen to see how this all pans out !!

btw, regarding the pics disappearing after youve seen them the first time, my PC does that to. :?

Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: el fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

can't wait to see this wepon around town. good job on the doors

Muts EL Fairmont Ghia
did someone call 9 1 HOLY s**t?

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 34  [ 505 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 34  Next