Fordmods Logo

troymans serpentine conversion+air con retro fitt(finished) 

Page 1 of 8 [ 106 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Post subject: troymans serpentine conversion+air con retro fitt(finished)
Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:43 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hey

i want to do the serpentine belt conversion on my ea ( it has au engine)
ive got everything to do the conversion.

but i have a question??
i have a small issue with the air con pump.
ive noticed that the ea has different line fittings on the air con pump and the tx valve compared to the ef one.

i know there is the option of using the xh pump bracket?
does anyone know if the ea pump will mount to the xh bracket or is there an option so i can use the ef pump with the ea lines??
otherwise i guess i could get new lines made up...

if anyone who has done this conversion can help me it would be appreciated...

Last edited by TROYMAN on Fri May 23, 2008 12:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:25 pm 

NSW, Australia

cmon guys.
there must be someone who has done this..

Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

The EA a/c bracket will fit an EL pump. But I don't know about fittings for the hoses, I haven't got that far yet. I have altered the EF alt bracket to accept the EA 85amp alt. Do you have the XH ute belt tensioner???, You will need it. Also you will need to fit and EF to AU water pump, cos they turn backwards, and the w/p inlet is smaller than EA to ED, so you'll need to use an EF to EL radiator.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:48 am 

NSW, Australia

ok
thanks.
ive got everything from a ef .ive got the alt,water pump,harmonic balancer,air con pump,belt tensioner,all brackets and bolts...(ive got a complete car for parts)

so far the ea aircon lines are completly different to ef. ive got my mates ed here aswell and the lines are the same as the ef but ea are different.

from what i can work out.
the ef aircon lines will fitt into the ea but where they fitt into the tx valve seems to be different..

i went to ford yesterday to enquire about a xh ute air con pump bracket and tensioner.
they told me the air con pump uses a ea bracket and that there was no tensioner on the xh . so i asked about xg and he said they were also the same as ea .. im :? .
i know that xg and some xh have serpentine belts ive seen them but the dood at ford said they didnt. rather than argue i just walked out a little confused....

ive read and heard about people doing the serpentine conversion but i have not checked if they have connected the aircon..
i saw one in a car yard that someone had put a complete el motor in but the air con pump was not connected it was used as a belt idler lol...

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:11 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
so far the ea aircon lines are completly different to ef. ive got my mates ed here aswell and the lines are the same as the ef but ea are differen.
I wonder if you can swap pulleys on the compressors, so that your EA one can then run the serp belt. IIRC you just had your system regassed, you might be able to do it in situ while gassed.

TROYMAN wrote:
i went to ford yesterday to enquire about a xh ute air con pump bracket and tensioner.they told me the air con pump uses a ea bracket and that there was no tensioner on the xh . so i asked about xg and he said they were also the same as ea .. im :? .i know that xg and some xh have serpentine belts ive seen them but the dood at ford said they didnt. rather than argue i just walked out a little confused....
XG is an EBII/ED setup. XH's only run the serp belt. If the XH A/C bracket has an 87DA number, then it will be certainly the same as EA.
Since you run a BBM, you'd be better to run the EF serp belt setup - saves you buying an XH tensioner and belt.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

why dont you just have new AC lines made to suit what you are doing. would be a hell of alot easier

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:59 pm 

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
why dont you just have new AC lines made to suit what you are doing. would be a hell of alot easier

i think your on the money there..
i was just trying to use what i have...

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

In this sort of situation, you're probably better off figuring out your options, and discussing them with an auto A/C place.
They should be able to tell you what is the best/cheapest option to take - and get an opinion or two off others also.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:37 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Falcon

Power: 113 rwkw

NSW, Australia

if your running AU 40L engine, it should be already setup for the
serpentine belt .

BANNED

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:05 pm 

NSW, Australia

BuNtEr wrote:
if your running AU 40L engine, it should be already setup for the
serpentine belt .

it was originally but i used the ea accesories when i put the engine in as i didnt buy the engine with accesories

now it doesnt matter! i want to do the conversion but i want my air con working..

Last edited by TROYMAN on Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:53 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Falcon

Power: 113 rwkw

NSW, Australia

do you have twin el thermo fans ?

BANNED

Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:28 pm 

NSW, Australia

yes i do have thermos, but they are still connected to a davis craig thermal switch instead of the ecu.

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
yes i do have thermos, but they are still connected to a davis craig thermal switch instead of the ecu.

Which Inlet manifold are you running??? If the log manifold, you'll need the XH belt tensioner, if the BBM then the EF/EL tensioner will do. You don't need an A/C bracket if fitted with BBM, cos the A/C pump bolts to the block. The XH has the A/C pump mounted lower to miss the log manifold.

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:54 am 

NSW, Australia

hi
im using the el ecu and bbm.
the main issues i have at the moment are the aircon lines being different and i just realised that the alternator bracket is different from ef to au (im using au block) but i should be able to overcome this with the custom bracket i made for the ea bracket..

so i have everything i need for the conversion its just the little things like the aircon lines being different and how the bottle will mount. as the ef bottle is in a different possition to the ea one .
or i may go to the wreckers and get some lines for a ed as they seem to be the right shape and fitt the ef pump and the bottle is in the same position as the ea bottle

Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
hi
im using the el ecu and bbm.
the main issues i have at the moment are the aircon lines being different and i just realised that the alternator bracket is different from ef to au (im using au block) but i should be able to overcome this with the custom bracket i made for the ea bracket..

so i have everything i need for the conversion its just the little things like the aircon lines being different and how the bottle will mount. as the ef bottle is in a different possition to the ea one .
or i may go to the wreckers and get some lines for a ed as they seem to be the right shape and fitt the ef pump and the bottle is in the same position as the ea bottle

EA had its own bottle, with 2 versions, 1 small bleeder hose or 2 small bleeder hoses. EB was first of the bubble look bottles.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 8  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next