EA Head on Au motor??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: EA Head on Au motor???
Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:03 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AU Falcon & EA Falcon

QLD, Australia

Hi guys, just a question.
Does anyone know if an EA head will fit onto the bottom end of an AU engine???
I have a worked EA motor but the bottom end is standard. From what I have heard the AU bottom end is one of the strongest and with the shape of the pistons will give me high compresion with my shaved and ported head.

Post subject: Re: EA Head on Au motor???
Posted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

dragonsmatt wrote:
Hi guys, just a question.
Does anyone know if an EA head will fit onto the bottom end of an AU engine???
I have a worked EA motor but the bottom end is standard. From what I have heard the AU bottom end is one of the strongest and with the shape of the pistons will give me high compresion with my shaved and ported head.

Use all of the EA head components. EBII/ED have better rocker gear though.
Make sure you have deburred the combustion chambers, swirl-ridge edges, and around the edge.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:10 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

ok so are you saying it will definatley fit??? Have you done this or heard of this being done before?
Are there any probs that I might incure during doing this?

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

All of the SOHC motors have interchangeable heads/blocks.

So any EA-AU head will fit onto any EA-AU bottom end. Obviously you can't fit a Barra or Xflow head onto an EA-AU bottom end as they just don't fit.

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Pretty sure the head will fit straight up to the AU block without any issues. People fit E-series heads to AU motors and vice-versa, they all use the same gasket, share the same bolt pattern etc etc, so I can't see any issues with it at all.

Only problem (if you could call it that) would be your compression would be bumped up considerably i would think. With the EA heads, the combustion chambers are smaller due to the big ridge they had, and AU's motors have a higher compression ratio from standard. Combine that with a the EA head being shaved and the use of an MLS head gasket, that would be some decent compression right there (that is assuming the person who ported the head didn't touch the chambers). I would say you would need to run it on premium fuel (most likely 98 octane) at all times.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:38 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Thanks everyone, and yeah the whole idea of using the AU bottom was to have a high compression engine. I was told by someone that there may be an issue with the waterjackets or something like that so this is why I was posting this thread. But it looks like my Q's have been answered. :D

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

OK well I have measured it up and the ea valves will hit the AU pistons... and the valve recess would need to be made 30" bigger!!!! and that measurment was made off a stock ea head.
I have found a EF bottom end aparantly off an option 20 engine. For $100 but it needs rings and bearings. Does anyone know where a good place is to get them and what sort of $$$ I would be looking at to purchase them? The ef pistons have a larger valve recess and I am gonna modify the crank gurdle out of the AU to fit onto the EF for strength.

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:51 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

dragonsmatt wrote:
OK well I have measured it up and the ea valves will hit the AU pistons... and the valve recess would need to be made 30" bigger!!!! and that measurment was made off a stock ea head.
I have found a EF bottom end aparantly off an option 20 engine. For $100 but it needs rings and bearings. Does anyone know where a good place is to get them and what sort of $$$ I would be looking at to purchase them? The ef pistons have a larger valve recess and I am gonna modify the crank gurdle out of the AU to fit onto the EF for strength.

the strength in the au bottom end is in the cast alloy sump not the 2mm thick gurdle, as the main caps have bolts through the side of the sump into the main caps

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

How did you measure the clearance?

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

Well the ef pistons have a perfect valve recess to suit the ea valves ( well I have been informed from a long time speedway engine builder. and on measuring the difference between the EF and Au valve recess there is 30" difference. I did think about making the recess bigger on the AU pistons but the head of the piston is only 3mm (120") thick and I would assume that 30" is just too much to be taking out of it in one spot.

Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

dragonsmatt wrote:
Well the ef pistons have a perfect valve recess to suit the ea valves ( well I have been informed from a long time speedway engine builder. and on measuring the difference between the EF and Au valve recess there is 30" difference. I did think about making the recess bigger on the AU pistons but the head of the piston is only 3mm (120") thick and I would assume that 30" is just too much to be taking out of it in one spot.

30" = 30 inches.

0.030" = 30 thousands of an inch, which is .75mm

There is alot more then 3mm in the area around the valve relief. the next question is, have you measured it using your cam specs, or are you just guessing?

Posted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

The valves shouldnt hit the pistons if putting an EA head on an AU motor, unless u have shaved like 2mm off the head lol.

Gab

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]