Fordmods Logo

replacing thermostat 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: replacing thermostat
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1997 EL Ford Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

im looking to replace the thermostat in my 4.0 97 el ghia but im not sure which one to buy. Im looking at a 91degree one on ebay link but im not sure if that is the correct temp for it to open. Im after one that opens earlier than what is specified for the car to keep it cooler.

Currently my car runs pretty cool. It is rare to see it get into any of the NORMAL letters and i like it this way, but during winter on the highway it can drop way back the the cold line and then come back up to operating temp hence my suspicions of requiring a new thermostat.

What temp should i be looking at with this in mind?

Post subject: Re: replacing thermostat
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

louie0408 wrote:
im looking to replace the thermostat in my 4.0 97 el ghia but im not sure which one to buy. Im looking at a 91degree one on ebay link but im not sure if that is the correct temp for it to open. Im after one that opens earlier than what is specified for the car to keep it cooler.

Currently my car runs pretty cool. It is rare to see it get into any of the NORMAL letters and i like it this way, but during winter on the highway it can drop way back the the cold line and then come back up to operating temp hence my suspicions of requiring a new thermostat.

i replaced mine with an 82 degree one, it was recomended to me by alot of people, i did it when i re did the head gasket

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Ford

VIC, Australia

Chargd wrote:
louie0408 wrote:

i replaced mine with an 82 degree one, it was recomended to me by alot of people, i did it when i re did the head gasket

82 degree is what the E Series taxis used apparently. I used a 82 in my old ED and it never once overheated - The temp will get into the normal range then drop down once it opens up (Providing the rest of your cooling system is in good condition).

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I've stuck with the standard 91 in my cars.
This will sit anywhere from 'R' to 'A' in 'normal' depending on the weather and other driving conditions (arcon on, LPG, towing, etc)

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:25 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

very first thing i do to any e-series car is to clean the cooling system and to put a 82 temp thermostat in it. run it a tad bit cooler and it runs a little bit better

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

i suspect my car had one in it already, because it sat on the "L" most of the time in normal driving, then it failed and i got it replaced by a mechanic, and he said he put an 91 degree in it, it sat between m & l. now i got 82 again it sits at L again, i changed the water pump and headgasket though, fully cleaned and serviced the whole cooling system

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

I have been advised against running cooler thermostats on the EEC-equipped Falcons. Apparently, the ECU is programmed to consider 82C as still in warm-up mode, so it adds a bit of extra fuel. Falcons are notoriously over-fuelled from the factory, so more fuel only makes matters worse - bad fuel economy and less power.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:55 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

82 is to cold imo...run a 87 deg thermostat. it will run cooler than the 91 deg.

Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

I use a genuine t'stat, with a hole drilled in it ( I drill the hole in it ), and my car doesn't even get to half way on the guage. It's an ED.......91 to 93 degrees is the optimum temp for getting the most out of petrol. Puting in a cooler t'stat can make the car use more fuel too.
Nearly any t'stat that is mounted at the top of the engine these days will be 91* to 93* .
Make sure the cooling system is in good condition too.......no blockages of any sort.

Attachments:
Blocked EL radiator- grass seeds_resize.jpg
Blocked EL radiator- grass seeds_resize.jpg [ 155.9 KiB | Viewed 318 times ]
Genuine Ford thermostats. 002.jpg
Genuine Ford thermostats. 002.jpg [ 363.49 KiB | Viewed 362 times ]

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:04 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED XR6, AUII XR8

VIC, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
I have been advised against running cooler thermostats on the EEC-equipped Falcons. Apparently, the ECU is programmed to consider 82C as still in warm-up mode, so it adds a bit of extra fuel. Falcons are notoriously over-fuelled from the factory, so more fuel only makes matters worse - bad fuel economy and less power.

EEC will go into closed loop (using 02 sensor) long before it hits 82 degrees. The only warmup modes ive seen are only used up until 32 degrees.

ED XR6, LeMans Red, 5-Speed
AUII XR8, Silhouette, 5-Speed

Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:
I use a genuine t'stat, with a hole drilled in it ( I drill the hole in it ), and my car doesn't even get to half way on the guage. It's an ED.......91 to 93 degrees is the optimum temp for getting the most out of petrol. Puting in a cooler t'stat can make the car use more fuel too.
Nearly any t'stat that is mounted at the top of the engine these days will be 91* to 93* .
Make sure the cooling system is in good condition too.......no blockages of any sort.

That is one blocked radiator! I assume car didn't have air con?

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

evxr6 wrote:
cjh wrote:

That is one blocked radiator! I assume car didn't have air con?

Yes, it did have air con.....that was what was trapped in between the radiator and the a/c condencer.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]