Fordmods Logo

HID headlights 

Page 41 of 42 [ 628 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Post subject: Re: HID headlights
Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford EB II Falcon

SA, Australia

I have a 93 EB and it had the plastic lense with the reflector and my stock lights are crap even with Narva "Blue Power Globes" what options do i have with the reflector ?

OLD CAR: EB II Falcon, Everglade Green, 250thous (Rough Guess), Wildcat Extractors, 2.5 Exhaust with Muffler + Hot Dog, 18 Inch Rodney Jane Mags, XH Snorkel, EA MPEFI Tubing !

NEW CAR: 1996 TE Magna...Mods Soon To Come

Posted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

devil san wrote:
i fitted a set of low beam only HID to my falcon, and they are great, as for losing high beam on that light, it was no problem for me as the lights are so good, i never need to use the high beam ( and i do alot of night highway driving, but i did adjust my lights down ( as not to stun oncomming cars) and i changed my high beam only globes to 120w, so if i do ever need them, i have them.

thanks devil san, it was more a question if there was going to be a problem by only using a single beam when the low beam also lights up when high beam is used, i was only planning on changing the low beam as my high beam bulbs are brighter anyways plus i have a pair of spotlights mounted to the front as well, i have actually raised my reflectors to shine the slow pricks which are always in front of me in the face so some HID would just sweeten the blinding lol, what model falcon you put them on and brand of hid?

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:43 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: eb xr8 , xh ute

TAS, Australia

mine are on my eb xr8, and i will be putting a set in my xh ute too, even with the crappy standard reflectors in the eb's, it still makes a huge difference!
as for the brand, i just got a cheap ebay set, cost me $90 including postage! they are 35watt, 6000k white.
the funny thing is, when i put my high beams on, the only difference is the light goes yellow from the standard type globe (120w phillips rally globes), its no brighter than the HID's, but it shows people " Im not on highbeam, so get f*#ked!!" :mrgreen:

peaandham, does your eb have aftermarket headlights, as I thought all ea/eb/ed had glass lenses?! i spose thats the great thing with HID, no heat to wreck a plastic lense! :mrgreen:

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

devil san wrote:
the funny thing is, when i put my high beams on, the only difference is the light goes yellow from the standard type globe (120w phillips rally globes), its no brighter than the HID's, but it shows people " Im not on highbeam, so get f*#ked!!" :mrgreen:

Showing people you're not on highbeam, doesnt change the fact you are blinding them with your glare.
If you light pattern doesnt change when you flip to highbeam then the kit you got is very very bad.
Low beam is not lower wattage, its a beam that is specifically designed to project lower as to not blind oncoming drivers.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

devil san wrote:
mine are on my eb xr8, and i will be putting a set in my xh ute too, even with the crappy standard reflectors in the eb's, it still makes a huge difference!
as for the brand, i just got a cheap ebay set, cost me $90 including postage! they are 35watt, 6000k white.

peaandham, does your eb have aftermarket headlights, as I thought all ea/eb/ed had glass lenses?! i spose thats the great thing with HID, no heat to wreck a plastic lense! :mrgreen:

lol get your hand off it dude - hid's still put out heat! and get your beams sorted out!

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: eb xr8 , xh ute

TAS, Australia

why dont you get your hand off it mate, i drive for a hour to get home of a night, and when i get home i can touch my headlight lenses and they are cold.
and my headlights are aligned correctly, as the service department at work has adjusted them.

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

You would have to be running MASSIVE wattage to heat your lenses up so you would feel it after a drive like that.
HID still put off heat, just not as much as halogen.

Your headlights may be aligned correctly, but the light will be scattering everywhere because the HID bulb is not being focused correctly by the halogen reflector.

Take a photo of your light pattern up against a wall and it will be obvious that there is a ton of glare for other drivers.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

devil san wrote:
why dont you get your hand off it mate, i drive for a hour to get home of a night, and when i get home i can touch my headlight lenses and they are cold.
and my headlights are aligned correctly, as the service department at work has adjusted them.

Just cause your headlight lenses are cool - doesnt meen they dont give off heat - i'm 100% sure they give off heat! you may think your headlights are alligned properly but i think its pretty obvious they arent aligned seeming people flash you cause of your lights!
you cant get your headlights correclty aligned with HID's mate, for one you have to have a clear lens - not that s**t your boxcar has - and you have to use d2r bulbs if your using a reflector - and the reflector has to be designed for HID. :roll: fukkin dreamers

Posted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: 2013 Ford Focus ST

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

we should have a chat with data_mine he has hid in his gt which is on the previous page here, he took a pic with it against the wall and it doesnt look like its scattering to bad

I hate arriving at my destination as then I have to get out of my car!

New Build Thread
the-garage-f53/the-beast-v2-0-phil-s-2013-ford-focus-st-t122703.html

Old Build Thread
the-garage-f53/phil-s-bf-sr-gt-build-thread-lots-of-pics-t98705.html

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

if i can be f**k i'll take a pic of how the light should be - pretty much a straight line - i've got factory xenons in my e46 coupe, and my old man has them in his nissan murano...
i was looking at doing this properly in my fairmont - which ended off getting written off...

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

well said Mitch.... behind a proper HID projector is the way to go...any other way is illegal and dangerous for other road users.

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

No matter what you do, its illegal unless you have high pressure washers and an auto levelling system.
Using projectors is purely for better/correct performance and to reduce the likelihood of blinding other road users. You cant avoid it and raise intersections, over hills, etc.

Sign up at hidplanet.com to find out more than you ever wanted to know about HID retrofitting.

I'm currently working on retrofitting HID projectors into my Fairmont lights.
exterior-modifications-f15/el-fairmont-hid-retrofit-t79728.html

These are the projectors I am using, there is also some out put pictures showing what the beam pattern SHOULD be.
http://store.theretrofitsource.com/prod ... cts_id=101

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

that looks like a good project dude - what projectors are you using, and where'd you get the clear front?

some of the r34's have xenon reflectors, mates father had them in his and the cut-off was amazing, no self leveling or water squirters though - different regs in a different country i guess...

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I linked to the projectors above, they are a replica of a nissan projector.
I made the clear lens using the stock lens, sandpaper, a drill and plastic polish.
I've only done the one side so far.
I have a few spare headlights to try things on and the next one I am going to try to make only a clear circle in front of the projector.
I want to try a few things and see what looks the best.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ah yeh, that'd be cool to see - i want to throw some tsx projectors in my e46...
keep us posted - thats a cool project :)

Sort by  
 Page 41 of 42  [ 628 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next