Fordmods Logo

Are Underdrive pulley setups worth having? 

Page 3 of 6 [ 89 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 23 images

Ride: XR6 Turbo

NSW, Australia

if it helps do it i say.

SS Inductions CAI, K&N Filters, M-spec FMC, Turbosmart BOV, 8psi capa tune, X-force cat.

Mods going on: Nizpro springs, bosch 040 pump + Walbro gss341, 600cc injectors, PWR transcooler, 20% Underdrives, 15psi Actuator, Kingspring SSL's, 15psi tune.....More coming

Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

I may need them as I blew my radiator tank on Christmas day. Going a wee bit fast over a prolonged period of time. Open roads with noone on them... how does one resist? Anyway my radiator shat itself and I was told that there's a good chance the water pump was producing too much pressure while my motor was running a steady 4000+ revs. If I had underdrives maybe this wouldn't have happened, but maybe it's weakened with age too... I think I will go with them when the work gets done. Cheers for the info guys. If anyone else has anything to add I'm interested to hear it still :)

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:12 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Underdrives are the best bang for the buck for sure but in your case Scaffy you may want to leave your original crank pulley there. The reason is, if your supercharger is driven from the same crank pulley it will get underdriven like all the other accessories. Not what you want for boost or belt drive on the blower pulley which will have to be much smaller for the same boost. You could still use the underdriven water pump pulley though.

Pete.

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I think the underdrives are definitely worth the money. The kit i brought was the FRPP underdrive kit, and for me i had issues with the alternator undercharghing, but as has been stated, this was due to 2 big amps and a tendency to run the stereo fairly loudly, as well as the bottle heater and associated NOS stuff. It was most noticeable at the track on track days, as the car spent a fair amount of time idling with the NOS accessories on, which really punishes the battery. I have since switched to a small VN pulley on the alternator, and all is well. The crank and water pump pulleys are still in place though
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Scaffy wrote:
I may need them as I blew my radiator tank on Christmas day. Going a wee bit fast over a prolonged period of time. Open roads with noone on them... how does one resist? Anyway my radiator shat itself and I was told that there's a good chance the water pump was producing too much pressure while my motor was running a steady 4000+ revs. If I had underdrives maybe this wouldn't have happened, but maybe it's weakened with age too... I think I will go with them when the work gets done. Cheers for the info guys. If anyone else has anything to add I'm interested to hear it still :)

The problem wasnt your water pump champ!! A blocked radiator will blow the side tanks apart at high RPM... been there, done that....

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Scaffy wrote:

The problem wasnt your water pump champ!! A blocked radiator will blow the side tanks apart at high RPM... been there, done that....

Lol, agrred, soo agreed. Its VERY unlikely that a stock water pump is going to purge a radiator. My XE used to run at 3500rpm on cruise and highter when ever I put the foot in, and I drove that for hours at a hime around the place, definatly not the pumps problem.

I couldnt fix your brakes so I made your horn louder

Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Cool, thanks for the info. What kind of idiot would design plastic tanks for a radiator anyways????

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:58 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EDV8 Fairmont

WA, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
I have since switched to a small VN pulley on the alternator, and all is well. The crank and water pump pulleys are still in place though
Brett

I have same alternator problem with BPT underdrives - can you still use stock serpentine belt with the VN alternator pulley?

Richie.

1993 ED F/mont 5.0L, Auto, Edelbrock RPM's, CompCam XE276HR, Crane Gold Race 1.7's, Edelbrock Performer, 75mm T/B, MAP, 42lb , GenIII coils, PH4000's , Twin 2.5", Thermos & underspeeds, 3.7 LSD, 2800 stall and MoTec M800, 372fwhp @ 5400rpm & 387 ft-lb @ 4400 rpm.

Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yes still using the stock belt
Brett

Member#1131

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:32 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EDV8 Fairmont

WA, Australia

okay, given the VN pulley will spin faster - that will help at idle, but will it try to destroy the alternator at higher rpm?

Richie.

1993 ED F/mont 5.0L, Auto, Edelbrock RPM's, CompCam XE276HR, Crane Gold Race 1.7's, Edelbrock Performer, 75mm T/B, MAP, 42lb , GenIII coils, PH4000's , Twin 2.5", Thermos & underspeeds, 3.7 LSD, 2800 stall and MoTec M800, 372fwhp @ 5400rpm & 387 ft-lb @ 4400 rpm.

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Nope, have measured it on the dyno all the way to 5800rpm, and didn't get above 13.8v
Brett

Member#1131

Post subject: cam
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

so are there any risks using these race pulleys on for example a street/race 347 stroker motor with a big cam and so on?

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

doubt it..

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Mine isnt a street race 347, but is definitely a street race 302, and i have a very big cam and massive heads and there has been no problems other than those i have stated and fixed
Brett

Member#1131

Post subject: pulleys
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I think i better call BPT and ask if they have made big hp when using these pulleys

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 6  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next