Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Vic wrote:
elrob wrote:
my answer: you cant tell me v8 would use the same fuel as a turbo 6 off boost(cruising).the six would win hands down ,not to mention cheaper running cost eg:rego and general maintence

why would the fuel bill be hefty with a turbo six just think of a xr6t motor and box in a car that weights at least 500-600 kg less than a ba/bf.wouldn't that be more fuel efficient not to mention alot fast down the quarter on the stock engine

thats my 2c

Why would you own a hot rod if fuel usage was an issue? It's one of the least considerations when owning or driving a hot rod. The whole 70 year history of hot rods is sticking a V8 in it and rumbling about the place and as such sticking anything less in it invalidates the whole persona of owning and driving a hot rod.

Best explanation yet.

It is the same as owning a convertible, if it hasn't got one nasty V8 in front of it, you would be just as well to strap a mat to your back with "WELCOME FOR BUSINESS" on it!

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Post subject: Re: Fords with 350s?
Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

i like the "look" of hotrods and the practicallity of a turbo motor and i dont like my hobbys to be expensive to run and maintain or be a motor that was designed when noah was building the arc

hotroding is about thinking outside the box and not following the mainstream,if im spending that much money on a car i want to drive the wheels off the thing

Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Worrying about an engine that was designed decades ago when the actual hot rods are just as old or older doesn't make much sense. To me, a hot rod that looks good and goes well but sounds like a goose f@rt would ruin the whole deal for me as it would for hot rodders in general.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

XCMUZ wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:
You said "the new engine" which means you had chance to buy a Ford engine and didn't.
NO MORE EXCUSES!!!!

it the new everything els to go with it thats the problem.

Besides we've done CA18s, FJ20s, ford 2L ohc, iron headed clevo, alloy headed clevo, clevo headed windsor 428cu 1000hp is fun, (obviously none of them in hotrods) seems like playing with a SBC is the next step. There is around the workshop of tunnel ram, twin carbs and twin turbos. we'll see i guess

Tickford_6, why would anyone use one of those boat anchor pieces or crap for their pride and joy? Is is a momentay lapse of judgement or just plain old fukwidditty?

don't know, it must be a Sydney thing, thats where the rod came from.

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Stop taking out 392 hemis while your at it, save em for real cars !

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:09 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XC UTE

NSW, Australia

tickford_6 wrote:
XCMUZ wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:
You said "the new engine" which means you had chance to buy a Ford engine and didn't.
NO MORE EXCUSES!!!!

Besides we've done CA18s, FJ20s, ford 2L ohc, iron headed clevo, alloy headed clevo, clevo headed windsor 428cu 1000hp is fun, (obviously none of them in hotrods) seems like playing with a SBC is the next step. There is around the workshop of tunnel ram, twin carbs and twin turbos. we'll see i guess

Tickford_6, why would anyone use one of those boat anchor pieces or crap for their pride and joy? Is is a momentay lapse of judgement or just plain old fukwidditty?

You bought it sunshine! Deal with it.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:38 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XC 1/2 Fairmont Wagon

NSW, Australia

Personally, I think these 30s and 40s fords should have flat -head v8s in them. Putting a 'modern' ford v8 into an old ford isn't really that much better than putting in a chev. It's still unoriginal and not factory. I guess a lot of people see an engine as just a power plant. It's a shame really you don't see many of these vehicles restored to factory or near factory condition. Candy paint is not my cup of tea, nor are chrome weels and radial tyres on one of these cars. Give me whitewall bias ply tyres, period correct paint, steel wheels, and a flat head v8. I've never heard a v8 that sounded better than a flat-head.

For those that want modern power and stereos and automatic transmissions and in a classic body, I say who cares what engine they put in it. If a chevy engine is cheaper and easier, then go for it.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

XCMUZ wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
XCMUZ wrote:
tickford_6 wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:
NO MORE EXCUSES!!!!

You bought it sunshine! Deal with it.

I really don't think he gives a f**k hey.

I don't really agree with it, but then it is their car and they can do what they want with it. How is this any different to customs that are made and use different parts yet are still referred to as a 'Ford Custom'. I remember one car being referred to this that used Mercedes (I think) headlights as well as other bits from a variety of cars.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I dont get why anyone is even bringing up the argument of cost.
The typical hotrod that I'm guessing is being referred to would be well over $100k, probably more likely heading up to $150k.
How much of that is going to made up by the engine, and how much of an increase is there really going to be even if the Ford engine is dearer? 1k? 2k? 5k? Is it really that much in the scheme of things?

No excuses. Ford - "Powered by Ford"

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:03 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XC 1/2 Fairmont Wagon

NSW, Australia

MADXF wrote:
I dont get why anyone is even bringing up the argument of cost.
The typical hotrod that I'm guessing is being referred to would be well over $100k, probably more likely heading up to $150k.
How much of that is going to made up by the engine, and how much of an increase is there really going to be even if the Ford engine is dearer? 1k? 2k? 5k? Is it really that much in the scheme of things?

No excuses. Ford - "Powered by Ford"

What does powered by ford mean any way? A ford block? Any ford? Can it be an aftermarket ford block which is ford in architecture only? Would it be better to put a ford kent engine in than a mouse motor? What about aftermarket parts? Don't a lot of aftermarket cranks have chev journals for chev rods? Once you start customising to the extent of most 'hot-rods' then you're really moving away from the original idea anyway. What about putting Jaguar read-ends in? Is that not allowed either? The argument that it should be powered by ford is just a philosophical one.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

kircher wrote:
The argument that it should be powered by ford is just a philosophical one.

Yes and Rene Descartes, one of the most famous philosphers in our history would definitely have been a closet Ford fan and told anyone that wanted to put a chev engine in a Ford hotrod that they were a complete & utterly traitorous spanker. ( Had he actually lived long enough to see the internal combustion engine )

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3