Fordmods Logo

Speedlimiters are GOOD! 

Page 13 of 14 [ 199 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post subject: Re: Speedlimiters are GOOD!
Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:22 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 AU Fairlane Sportsman

NSW, Australia

Tapper 21, do you realise what you said? You claimed that the police radar got you at 221 kph and you also said that the needle was way past the 200kph max. If it was way past the 200 max then it was most likely around the 221 km/h mark. In relation to radar, read up on what a radar is and how it works. The Radar is not the problem, sometimes the operator has not carried out the correct procedure and the unit was being used in the incorrect environment. In relation to tests and studies, don't beleive what the media show you they only look for the sensational story and the tuth is far from their intentions. I worked on Radars for more then 20 years so I have complete confidence in a radar both Aviation and ground radars, as well as distance and speed measureing radar. Cheers,

Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

I can't believe how many people here are admitting that they have done these speeds on the street. If I were a cop I'd be taking names and making sure these fools are monitored closely...

... oh yeah; my favourite is where one guy says he did over 230km/h "on a private road" - who has a private road that long?

Enough ranting from me.
Anyway, what happens to the tailshaft when you fit real short gears like 4.11's in the diff?

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:18 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

metasaiah wrote:
I can't believe how many people here are admitting that they have done these speeds on the street. If I were a cop I'd be taking names and making sure these fools are monitored closely...

... oh yeah; my favourite is where one guy says he did over 230km/h "on a private road" - who has a private road that long?

yeah, no shortage of idiots in the world.

Quote:
Enough ranting from me.
Anyway, what happens to the tailshaft when you fit real short gears like 4.11's in the diff?

Tail haft is spinning faster for the same road speed, so the bang point comes up earlier.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EF GLi

WA, Australia

^ What about cars that see a bit of track time at the drags - how do they prevent TS failure at the top end of the quarter?

EF2 Fairmont Ghia. AU2 engine running EF gear. Intake, exhaust, injection etc; 8" rear stockies with 265/50R15 rubber. Shiftkitted auto, J3, custom grille and dash cluster and lots of other useless crap...

Posted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:53 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

metasaiah wrote:
^ What about cars that see a bit of track time at the drags - how do they prevent TS failure at the top end of the quarter?

replacement shafts
two piece shafts
tail shaft loops (for if it does go, it's contained)

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Mine hits 225kmph on the dyno in fourth, it has had probably 10 full power runs to 6,100rpm in fourth, no vibrations or problems yet, fingers crossed.

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

au055 wrote:
Tapper 21, do you realise what you said? You claimed that the police radar got you at 221 kph and you also said that the needle was way past the 200kph max. If it was way past the 200 max then it was most likely around the 221 km/h mark. In relation to radar, read up on what a radar is and how it works. The Radar is not the problem, sometimes the operator has not carried out the correct procedure and the unit was being used in the incorrect environment. In relation to tests and studies, don't beleive what the media show you they only look for the sensational story and the tuth is far from their intentions. I worked on Radars for more then 20 years so I have complete confidence in a radar both Aviation and ground radars, as well as distance and speed measureing radar. Cheers,

There was a bloke that got done for 1,100km/h....yep..not a typo...One Thousand, One hundred KPH. The copper was stupid enough to write it (speeding ticket) out in full. The bloke took it to court and won.....coz the cop was in the wrong place for doing speed detection.....near an airport, as well as a cutting.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:59 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2002 AU Fairlane Sportsman

NSW, Australia

Mate I am not rubbishing any thing that you have stated but the speed of sound is 1,236km/h. For an aircraft to have been travelling at 1,100 km/h and to have been detected at a ground level radar, which the police radar would have been, then it must have been flying very low and there is no way the CAA or the RAAF would permit this to occur. It sounds like a urban myth similar to when you hear that upturned boats doing 120 km/h when they are sitting on the ground. The recent troubles that have been highlighted especially in Victoria with the point to point radars come back to incorrect calibration or other factors such as unstable platfroms etc. Radar is accurate, it just relies on the operator to ensure that it is operated correctly and within the guidelines set down by the manufacturer. Cheers

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

dsyfer wrote:
Mine hits 225kmph on the dyno in fourth, it has had probably 10 full power runs to 6,100rpm in fourth, no vibrations or problems yet, fingers crossed.

Yours is a manual, it is the auto that has issues...

Member Number 8804

Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:40 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XHII XR8 Ute - Supercharged

WA, Australia

Can anyone confirm you can create an open circuit between cluster and ECU (on speedo wire -is it white?) to disable ECU's limiter?

Not to add fuel to a fire here, but my ute hits the limiter before I get a max power reading on the dyno. I am thinking of installing a switch, so I can break link for dyno runs...

Oh, I have a 2-piece tailshaft and a T56. Tuned with Tweecer, but the guy who tuned it didn't know how to remove limiter....!! :evil:

Cheers

Old - XF with XH XR8 Driveline... http://www.fordmods.com/ford-v8-f2/my-xr8-power-xf-falcon-t20529.html
Current - XHII XR8 ute - Kenne Bell Supercharged - Build in progress

SUPERCHARGED XHII XR8 UTE - BUILD THREAD >http://www.fordmods.com/post1195532.html#p1195532

Posted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

You can probably still get an accurate max power number without removing the speed limiter.

My EF XR6 auto kept hitting the speed limiter at about 4900rpm in 3rd, so I did a full run in 2nd and compared the two. 2nd consistently read about 11kw lower than 3rd across a range of revs, so I just added 11kw to my 2nd gear max power to get the 3rd gear equivalent. Would be accurate within 1kw on my car. Might work on yours.

Cheers.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:26 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Many, maybe too many.

NSW, Australia

Wow, everyone has missed it!
Harmonics and resonant frequencies.
Not balance, weight or joints or length. Though all of these things, if ignored will accelerate the failure
Basic physics, EVERYTHING has an excitable frequency, from Jelly to Beryllium.
When the wave lengths of these disparate, energised objects align then the effect becomes amplified.
Hence the "sudden bang" the frequencies combine with sufficient energy and amplification to appear as though it is a spontaneous failure. Dampening in floor might have prevented this, maybe.
Balance helps, dampening helps, friction helps.
F1 teams spend 100's of millions of dollars on this issue alone. Eddiy Nakamichi rewrote the dynamics of HiFi and accuracy with his theories of diffused resonance to minimize one mechanical part interfering with any other. I fill all of my drive shafts with gap filler, you know that expanding foam for walls of houses, it slows the metallic ringing down to a point that is below the metallic inevitabilities of the rest of the drivetrain and adds almost no weight. 1st, 2nd and 3rd order harmonics can be almost as fatal as strapping a lead weight on a wheel, if the speed and mass is high enough.
I'm not a fool BTW, I have a degree in Civ Eng. , A postgrad in electronics, an associate diploma in nuclear instruments, a BA in Graphic design, a masters in fine art and make my living now with a PA system which I hire to bands and small recording studio. I own over 25 cars some of them are considered to be quite respectable.

I'll trump your Ford GT with an Aston Martin and raise you an M3.
I'm just here to make my work hack, tow car, more reliable and go a bit better so you guys can argue amongst yourselves. The real answer is simple...
If you want to go faster. Get a faster car. Don't hot up a s**t box.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

Never going 180 in mycar again! Altho when I did it did feel like the a** was gonna fall out of it.

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1993 Ford Fairlane

VIC, Australia

Jimmy Clark wrote:
If you want to go faster. Get a faster car. Don't hot up a s**t box.

you clearly misunderstand what we like to do to cars.

ever heard the phrase "built, not bought"?

THAT is a real car, not some over priced euro s**t built to go like stink out of the box.
id rather put that money into my "s**t" than buy one of them

Youve obviously never felt that rewarding feeling of doing something to your own car (especially the first time youve done it) that makes it look or go that little bit better.

Its the reason we are all here

1993 NCII Fairlane
Mods to come:
V8 - SLs - exhaust - DC LTD leather - LTD grill and garnish - LTD wood grain - body colour trim - wheels - tinted windows

1991 NCI Fairlane
Mods to come:
4.0L - lows - exhaust - NCII seats - NCII door trims - LTD grill - body colour trim - wheels - window tint

Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:34 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ford Fairmont EF II

VIC, Australia

well i wasnt planing on taking out the limiter, but i will think twice before pushing my car to the limit untill i do some major mods.

Sort by  
 Page 13 of 14  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next