Fordmods Logo

TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon 

Page 16 of 78 [ 1167 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 78  Next

Post subject: Re: TimmyTimTim's 93 ED Mods
Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yeah Tim I would still be interested.
Let me know how you go with it all. No rush from here.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

No worries Matt,

If your really keen do you wanna add you name to the list?

ecu-fuel-system-eec-f21/tfi-sim-ford-pip-tfi-coil-tester-t95830.html

That'll be a start if your that keen...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Your quick Ash... Real Quick... :(

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Hi Guys,

Been flat out lately...

I did manage to fit the Lokka last Saturday... Of which I have no pics... But there is plenty around... I doubt it'll be staying in there... Not quite what the sales pitch makes it sound to be... Looking at another alternative at the moment... Apparently ratchetless and more road tame... Made in the US, not sure if they are made to suit our diffs yet...

I did manage to take some happy snaps the other night once the sun disappeared... Bout myself a cheap tripod so I thought I'd give it a go... Sent a couple to my brother and he did the clear bonnet modifying for me... Let me know your thoughts though...

Cheers,
Tim

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Pictures look great.
So you dont like the Lokka? I miss mine already.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Cheers Matt...

Its so bloody noisy its embarrassing and you can't accelerate at all really out of a corner... Seems to lock up really easy... Gotta drive like a grandma all the way through a corner if you wanna make those rear tyres last...

It works great for hard driving... More traction,drives out of corners great... Feel awesome... But the balance for the daily side isn't there... Can't mildly accelerate out of a corner without it locking...

Unsure of it at the moment... The noise for passers by must be really off putting... I get so many strange looks through woolies car park... Its really quite loud...

Cheers,
Timmy

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah that sounds like its working about right.
I didnt give a s**t about the passers by. Yeah I used to get weird looks and people knocking on the window telling me my diff was about to fall out.
All part of the fun of the fair.
I loved mine for daily driving. They are really no worse cornering then a LSD that is actually working probably.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Well yeah I do agree... If you had a really tight LSD this would be the same... Was the boat an auto (excuse the lack of reading the build thread for it)?

Worst part more than anything is the backlash of it... Accelerating even the smallest amount out of second gear mid corner (coast in drive out) just is a massive jerking mess... Only way I can avoid it is dipping the clutch and slowly letting it out under acceleration... Bout the best alternative I have...

If you had an auto... this thing would be supurb... Just a bit more of knack to it in a manual...

The other version I found of the synco'd one sounds to be the go... No ratchet noise... And greatly reduced backlash... I posted this image in the true trak centre thread but here it is for the sake of adding it...

Attachment:
explosion.jpg

Cheers,
Tim

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah the boat was an auto.
It doesnt sound right but if it has a big amount of backlash.
Did you set the shims when you installed it? They can be real noisy and notchy if they have too much side clearance.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:53 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

It measured up fine...

They say at least 6 thou between shims and axles gears I had 10 - 12 thou
They say 150 - 170 thou between cam gears and I had 154 thou...

So it measured up within their specs...

I think the synco'd model looks to be the pick... Less noise and much less backlash...

Worst part is the lack of smoothness through cornering... Due to design...

When your rolling into a corner (just engine braking) your on the back side of the cam gears so the inner wheel ratchets (works the wrong way) when you drive out you have to first take up the backlash of the cam gears... It then locks both wheels, and then unlocks the outer wheel and drives the inner wheel... This results is a big jerking clunking mess... Can't work out a smooth way of doing it yet...

Straight line I have bugger all trouble (only going slow, again prone to backlash in the cams against the cross shafts, rollin detailed this in his guide on boosted falcon)... Only cornering when it has to change from one ratcheting wheel to the other... Doesn't work for me...

The designed fault is here, with one imagine showing it locked up and one showing it unlocked... In sayign that it needs to be this way to work... But the syncro'd one must eliminate this, somehow? :? or so they say anyway...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

What happens when you clutch in while going straight just before turning? Does that unlock the wheel so it only ratchets the outside one when you turn?

I just bought one of these. Hopefully I can deal with the issues. : /

Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

wouldn't make any difference I don't think...

As long of the weight (inertia) of the car is pushing on the diff, rather than the diff on the car, it causes the cross shafts to run in the back side of gears and ratchets the wrong wheel into the corner...

Keep in mind this is the only scenario I have trouble with...

If you drive the whole way through the corner then it unlocks even if gently accelerating...
If you roll the whole way through a corner and then accelerate (be it compression braking or neutral coasting) its fine...

Neither of these is practical all the time though...

We have no traffic lights (yet... d***head are putting them in though)... so your rolling up the terminating road to a T intersection... you roll up in second gear halfway around, nothing is coming and then you want to accelerate... Thats what I can get it to work... I have to dip the clutch and ride it up slowly to take the backlash up in the clutch rather than my neck...

Maybe its not the Lokka... Maybe its me... But I feel I've tried every way of accelerating out of a corner in second gear and wanting it to unlock all the way around... I can't quite nail it... Not without clutching it as mentioned anyway...

I hope I can get it... I'm keen on the US syncro'd version at present though... As I've mentioned already...

Post subject: Re: TimmyA's 93 ED Falcon
Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:10 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the info on the thermo fan wiring Tim. Was actually not as hard as I was thinking it was and the fans work great :). Much neater running them off the ecu too.

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Thats good then... I actually haven't tried mine yet as I'm still running the EEC-IV... My EEC-V is set up for my cam... Gotta get it in first... Then its a matter of dropping them in and adding the XH snorkel... :D

Might be something that happens over the Christmas break... hopefully... :D

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Wow... Where have I been for the last month?

I've been out of things to do to the car... Finished my tipper trailer... Works a million bar and just modifying the boot power a little to improve it there...

Firstly we have the XR6 garnish that got dropped off by the nice mail lady the other day...

Now yes I know you all think its wrong to put an XR6 garnish on a non xr6 car... But I couldn't afford an XR6 manual when I was 15 so I got this... And now I can afford to make it an XR6... And anyway... It matches the quad-lights and the fender badges... :P Just gotta get the door moulds on I have lying around... I can't picture that being fun somehow... :?

Attachment:
DSC_1425.JPG

Unfortunately I bought it with no broken mounts and the lady on ebay broke one packing it up so she sent it at no charge :D and I did my best to repair it... Started out by changing the angle on the bottom of the post so it sat right (like there was a chip that was missing)... then drilled cross holes through the post bellow where the bolt screws into and remove the bolt... Drilled holes in the webbing on the garnish and then glued it in place with 401 Loctite to hold it for the liquid plastic expoxy resin stuff and then mixed it up and applied it and its a pain when its wet because it runs so I had a smart idea... Cold can of coke under it and caused it to thicken a bit and mostly stayed put until it set... Now its stronger than what it was the factory... :D

Attachment:
DSC_1428.JPG

Attachment:
DSC_1429.JPG

I have also used this stuff on the centre console... Those familiar with the ED console for power windows will know the brace across the back that hols the sides together and hinge on how it breaks there and they all do it... Same deal drilled holes through the plastic and spread this in there so it links to itself through the holes rather than just to the plastic... Never broken again since...

Other things are the NL interior light... I had the same as the base model BA light before with the BA clear lens that I had two and broke the tabs off both and that s**t me so I got a better one... Unlike the crappy ED map lights version this thing is insane... Esp with the LED's in it... :D

Attachment:
DSC_1430.JPG

Worst part is I assumed it had the 42mm Festoon long ways in the middle... That way I could have re-used the LED festoon light I bought for it... Takes a stupid T10 doesn't it... Who came up with that idea? The reflector design is rather ordinary... So the LED I have in there doesn't quite cut it... Can't go any longer otherwise the lig wont go on... So I've ordered some boards and I'll try make something up... That T10 had 9 SMD 5050 LED's on it... I have ordered to flat boards to fit each with 15 SMD 5050 LED's So 30 total if I can get 2 to fit... If one is bright enough I'll roll with that...

Attachment:
DSC_1434.JPG

They fit easy... The come with a plastic adaptor that screws with the 4 holes to the roof... You cut off the old lamp holder and solder on the plug for the new interior light (it plugs in rather than being permanently attached)... Make the hole in the hood lining a tad bigger and screw the light to the adaptor... I had to add a constant earth for the map light to that was just a fly lead off the plug with a ring lug on the end... Removed the paint from one of the 4 original screw holes in the roof and bolted it there under the adaptor... :D Easy job...

More to come shortly...

Sort by  
 Page 16 of 78  [ 1167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 78  Next