EF turbo running bit hot? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: EF turbo running bit hot?
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Wagon/ 1967 XR

VIC, Australia

I've recently bought a ef turbo off a mate and are slowly going over a few things, I've noticed it runs around 2/3rds up the scale around M and R on normal which I thought was a bit hot?
Without putting a proper temp gauge on it I was wondering how hot some other cars run?

I took the Thermostat out and it took ages to warm up which makes me think the water pump is fine then when driving it up it goes again weather driving it on boost or not at all...

I've now just had the radiator cores unblocked, and side tanks replaced at radiator joint, replaced the 74 deg thermostat instead of the standard 92 deg one just taken it out for a run and nothing's changed!
There was good water flow through the motor when I flushed it then just put 5 litres of Nulon and topped the rest up with water.

Is it just that the standard radiator is not effective enough or something else that could be wrong?
Even when it gets that warm it would hardly move when going down a hill or flat for ages with hardly any load and heaps of air flow... Wtf?
Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: EF turbo running bit hot?
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Which One?

NSW, Australia

Fan? I had problems with the engine running a bit too hot for my liking. The (viscous) fan was on the way out.

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:57 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: AU Wagon/ 1967 XR

VIC, Australia

Yeah the fans seem to be working ok they were turning flat out when got home then for another couple of minutes after opening the bonnet then slowed down when dropped back just under M...
Got me stumped...

Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:39 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: turbo falcon

SA, Australia

Mine has always run over half even with new alloy radiator. Im guessing the cooler obstructs the flow of air to the radiator a fair bit in the efs. As long as the temp dosn't increase much when driving hard it should be ok.

Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: VZ SS 6Ltr ute, Honda VFR800

VIC, Australia

WGN-485 wrote:
74 deg thermostat instead of the standard 92 deg one

When I did this on my EF many years ago i had a similar problem.
The fix was to change when the fans kicked in. I changed the fans to come on at around 78 degs and turn off at around 72.
That worked for me anyway!

My Cars
2006 VZ SS cammed 6Ltr ute 295rwkW
2004 BA XR6T - 290rwkW 12.5@113mph ( SOLD )
1996 EFII Fairmont - 130rwkW 15.5@91mph ( SOLD )

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef XR6t

QLD, Australia

Mine used to run at around 90-92 degrees with the ecu controlling the thermo fans. But I have wired them up on a switch for full speed all the time when it is switched on. And now it's runs between 72-86 degrees depending on weather conditions. 86-88 being the hottest when thrashing it on a hot summers day. And 70-72 in winter.

A good option is to use a Davies Craig thermatic fan switch, you can control what temp the fans switch on but downside is you have to put an extra sensor in the cooling system. I control mine manually off a switch. But if you forget to switch them on you can easily run it too hot. I've had mine up to 100 degrees once :/ But once the cars warm I usually just leave the fans on.

Oh and btw I run a standard radiator and a/c and a front mount.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ef-turbo-build-t103080.html

Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

My EF did a similar thing. Used to run on the L, once I turbo'd it it moved up to the M. I'd say its just the cooler blocking airflow more than anything.
Like mentioned, a Davies Craig controller would help sort it out, I don't think there's much you can do to increase direct airflow to the rad once you jam a cooler infront.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:04 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: FORD FE LTD TURBO/ XE TURBO

NSW, Australia

Dont use antifreeze/antiboil mix, they're s**t. Get a strictly anti boil product like tectalloy gold concentrate.

Throw your radiator out. FOr 200 bucks its cheap insurance to get a new adrad or natrad brand. Unblocking and all that bollocks is s**t.

Use penrite hpr30 oil

get an 88 degree thermostat

make sure your timing and tune is 100%...... for the majority, yes that means forking out your hard earned. No room for tight a** guess tunes or wannabe shed monkey's. If you wanna 'have a go' then be prepared for s**t results.

This havago attitude is just plain stupid when it comes to getting more performance and you start boosting.

Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef XR6t

QLD, Australia

I run a 72 degree thermostat. Works well in conjunction with the thermo fan trick.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ef-turbo-build-t103080.html

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:19 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ford falcon

NSW, Australia

mate i have exacly the same prob with my ef turbo ,tryed new radiator tryed every thing checked if the fans are working ,,ie the 3 stages.... L 1st stage fans slow .. on A second stage fans are a little quicker between N and O fans up 3 stage flat out oh and also flat out on ac on and or switch to demist ..mate i have asked that many people about why they heat up ..got sick of asking ..all i done was get a graidavies thermo switch and use that to over ride the fans to com on sooner as the front mount stops the air flow ,any one says it doesnt they are complete f**k heads im in the process of doing the wireing but i asked if the extra power from the switch going to the fans will cause any issues with the ecu no one know so f**k it .il hook it up ..my cars a 95 ef with a snort water oil cooled twin internal wastgate turbo tuner ssteel man 3 inch with 200 cell cat .300x700 front mount with a plub back bov ..fully engeneered running 5 psi no tune just 12/1 fuel reg and funn to drive not so fun when it heats up and trany starts to melt..

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:28 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

tryed to ad som pics but say file to big ,able to upload two in gallery .one of engine bay and thermo relay ect

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

It shouldn't be running that hot. It Could be tune, plugs, water pump, anything. 72 degree thermostat seems a bit too cold? Maybe you have a slight leak from the head.

Mine ran with standard ford 92 thermostat standard rad with 100mm thick cooler blocking it and when driven normal it always ran 1/3.. trackwork however was a different story.

I run a china 55mm alloy rad ($300), 82 degree hiflow tridon thermostat, gen ford coolant and it runs nicely inside the normal arc under all driving conditions, it still gets warm at track but it doesnt get over 3/4.

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

they do get a bit hot .iv just finnished installing a davis graig thermo switch to over ride the ecu .my temp was getting up to the o mark even with the 92 thermostat ,been told that adding extra earth near the ecu would help turn the fans on ,told a friend who has the same problem with his cooling system he said ,,iv tryed every thing in the book only thing that works is adding the thermo switch, another problem with the e series is the head cooling,they get a hot spot between cyl 5 and 6 which in turns weakens the head gasket ,thats why they need replacing usualy every 120,000ks then u have the heat soak to contend with,, but on saying all this not every engine is the same your car might be running fine with it current set up ,but mine needs the extra cooling as i dont drive it around like a granny ,evey ones different in the way they have there cars set up i want mine to run as cool as posible specialy in sydneys hot weather,in winter might not need it but its good to have the extra cooling option there if i need it .

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:12 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i never had any issues with mine, std radiator, 87 deg thermostat, had the a/c condensor, 75x600x300 intercooler, 300x300 trans cooler, a 300x180 engine oil cooler, all infront and only ever got hot on a 35 deg day on eastercreek curcuit..

Posted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:36 am 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

has any one here had a ef -el with a turbo and front mount fitted .ever noticed that the ef-el have only a small air intake for the radiator ..maybe why mine has this prob. a friend with a el had the same issue im having with cooling car drives ok but on hot days ran a bit over halfway on the temp guage had it all checked out every thing was ok ended up doing the thermo switch trick car never gets over the a mark even on the 42 degree day we had the other week ..maybe the electrics are in need of a gremlin hunt but the car is 14 som what years old cant expect everthing to go good forever ,so at the moment im going to try the thermo trick ,maybe later on ill ad some extra earths to the ecu for the fans ,but for the meantime this thermo switch thing works so il go with that.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next