Fordmods Logo

KWIKXR's EF Fairmont Turbo 

Page 11 of 110 [ 1638 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 110  Next

Post subject: Re: My 1995 Ford Fairmont
Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Cheers fiend old pal, i get what you mean mate, and you're spot on :wink:

All im doing at the moment is smoothing out the actual chamber part around the valves and that, not gonna be polishing it all up until i get the head shaved, like you said, once they shave the head it'll leave a sharp edge around the chamber which i will need to fix up again. Since im gonna be taking a bit out to lay back the chamber on one side through, i might as well do it now before the head is shaved. Dont wanna slip with the grinder and leave a nice gouge in the freshly shaved surface. Geez i regret not taking that AU head from pick a part now, would've had the larger ex. valves and would be better to work with when porting..

I dont even know if what im gonna do is even gonna make a difference, but from what ive seen on a few sites and a article by Brendon Mock from JMM from some Ford magazine, you can get a bit more flow happening by doing a few simple things in the chamber and the valve bowls

This is for an EA head with the swirl ridge but it would apply to the other heads aswell with how they lay back the area around the valves opposite the spark plug
Attachment:
BestFordsP1.jpg

Attachment:
BestFordsP2.jpg

Attachment:
BestFordsP3.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Hey cool - That's a good scan job. Here it is in a wide format which will be easier for some to view on their screens at home and is also only 500kb large. Obviously reworked without permission from something called BEST FORDS, which I cannot find on the net according to Google...

Good stuff... I should have had a close read of this a month or two back! Look at that "wing" in picture #25! I don't remember seeing anything that bad on the EF / EL to be honest. Maybe it's a trick of the light, or maybe those EA heads really did have huge wings like that?!!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Fiend, your a bloody legend mate.

I was sick of going through each page seeing as im using windows picture viewer to open it which only opens one image at a time. No need to do that with your reworked version as its all in one. Top stuff!!

I actually picked those scans off here (fordmods) i think?? Cant remember which thread it was now but i saved them a while ago when i first took the head off but never had the time to do any work on the head. Now i have a couple of months before it needs to go on so its all on :lol:

Yeah the wing thing was only in the EA's i think, EBII onwards dont have it from what i know (well the EBII-ED head im working on right now doesnt and the EF one on my car sure as hell doesnt either). The wing would of given the EA a bit more compression with its s**t bottom end though compared to other e-series heads.

Gee, i got bugger all done on the bloody head today, too much running around for people, fixing bloody computers, looking for parts for a nissan terrano heap of s**t. Im like almost done on one chamber so far, 5 and a half left to go :lol:

Hopefully ill get time to do some work on it tomorrow and get some progress pics up.

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Bit of progress today, only got 3 chambers done lol. Came up all right i think. Just slightly layed back the area around the intake valve a bit as it kinda sticks out into the chamber a bit. Not taking a huge amount out so it probably wont much increase it flow but i cant be f**k getting the chambers cc'd so it'll do for now lol.. Its taking me a little longer than expected, so its coming together slowly. Have started doing the same on the last 3 chambers now, just gotta finish laying it back evenly then smooth it out. Cant wait to get it all done so i can get on to doing the bowls

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Good stuff man. That's way better than the little bit I took off mine... I was happy the visual improvements in mine, but that's miles better... Next time there's a Tickford head sitting in my lap it'll get a better treatment....

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

not wanting to burst your bubble but this porting will do sweet f-all unless its an out and out race motor....

there are I6s running in the 13's with stock heads...these heads are good for close to 170rwkw without porting...the head is not the limitation....the right cam is crucial....improve the comp, intake sys and exhaust sys...

spend money on the head in other ways such as making sure its not bent, cracked or soft. also get the seats re-cut and valves faced, and make sure guides arnt worn...have the head shaved to up comp and run the AU gasket....port matching and de-dagg would be as far as u need to go

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I think he is looking at cam options, and is getting the head shaved and doing the valve grind etc etc too. Anyways, if you have a spare (or have one in parts for a length of time) you may as well improve it a little before putting it back in huh?!

Why not?

You're not loosing anything other than a few hours of your own time, and learn a few things along the way.

Am damn sure he is using the AU gasket and bolts also... And getting it cracked, bent and soft tested would be a normal thing to do. I guess someone might not bother, but you wouldn't want to bother putting a head back into your car that you hadn't tested!!!! Surely not... You'd have to be a fairly keen gambler....

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Fiend: Cheers dude, it doesnt look too bad at the moment haha lucky i didnt get it shaved or anything else first, have made a fe marks around the chambers already, but nothing too deep so when it gets shaved it'll all clean up.

Gogetta: I know it isnt gunna make much difference at all. Its basically just a bit of fun, just getting to know the basics of porting and stuff, its always good to learn things yourself :wink:

These heads flow quite well anyways, the 91aa head has been said to flow well over 300hp stock, and even after all the work that is gunna go into the motor after the head is done it'll still be nowhere near 300hp. The guy who will be doing the cam grind for me has suggested that i do a little bit of work on the head (mild port/polish and head shave) to get the most out of the cam so thats basically what im doing, its all free since im doing it myself so why not hey :lol:

gogetta wrote:
spend money on the head in other ways such as making sure its not bent, cracked or soft. also get the seats re-cut and valves faced, and make sure guides arnt worn...have the head shaved to up comp and run the AU gasket....port matching and de-dagg would be as far as u need to go

Its getting all that done ^^^ so no problems there :wink:

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: MCMXCV Falcon

VIC, Australia

fiend thats true but I see it every day where i work...so many people just want a surface without any other testing....you point out the huge amount of corrosion and tell them it needs welding and they say no just surface it, OK!!??...

obviously no one on fordmods could be this stupid...right?? then again there's a thread on here about converting an 4.0 to a diesel so I dont know!

im just offering up some general advice that some of the less educated might benefit from

btw the fairmont is coming up very nicely

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Cheers gogetta, the Fairmont is slowly getting there, still needs a fair bit of work though :lol:

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

gogetta wrote:
fiend thats true but I see it every day where i work...so many people just want a surface without any other testing....you point out the huge amount of corrosion and tell them it needs welding and they say no just surface it, OK!!??...
Imagef**k! REALLY! ...
obviously no one on fordmods could be this stupid...right?? then again there's a thread on here about converting an 4.0 to a diesel so I dont know!
Image f**k! Really. ...
im just offering up some general advice that some of the less educated might benefit from
Image Yeah man, all good. Was a little concerned that young KWIKXR was having has cherry popped or something. Ooops. Bubble Burst..... ...
btw the fairmont is coming up very nicely

Who's the person / company doing the cam grind? Kelston or something? I'd recommend WADE, but them being in Aussie results in some hefty courier fee's and a fortnight or two of down time...........

Posted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Franklin cams in Auckland are gonna be doing my cam for me. They're gonna do a custom combo grind mixing specs from 2 different stages, to try and suit the auto and stock ecu, so it'll be a high lift item with a fairly nice duration. Fingers crossed, they do a good job and then i'll be using them again in the future.

I was so close to going with a wade billet 1636 a couple of weeks ago before i picked up the spare cam with the head, but after all the postage costs and the lacks of billets available i decided to go local. Will cost me like $180ish for the regrind and like $15 in total for postage both ways going locally through Franklin cams. Generally they can have it sent out the same day as they regrind it so its a s**t easier and cheaper.

I tell ya what though, if i had the funds and wade had billets id probably go and order a billet 977b and source a high stall :lol:

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

At least you are having a go at it mate.

Car is looking good too.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

BenJ wrote:
At least you are having a go at it mate.

Car is looking good too.

Cheers
BenJ

Cheers BenJ :wink:

Got all the chambers finished off tonight. What a mission :lol:, on to the bowls next..

Still a bit stumped as to what im gunna do around the valve guide bosses but ill work something out

Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

A little something i have been working on in the last couple of days..

Did a bit of a custom job with mounting the tweeters i have left over when i chucked my el cheapo splits in. Chose to put them on top of the cowl panel but flush mounted as they can be tilted in place. Its drying at the moment so the tweeters havent been fitted to the panel yet. Has been sprayed in satin black, in anticipation for the future interior colour scheme.

Have chosen to go down the black/cappa combo route for the interior now, all the dark brown parts of the interior will be sprayed black so should look a heap better than that ugly brown..

I have now put the headwork (valve regrind/pressure test/shave etc) off for now, as i have a few other important issues which need addressing such as my second hand replacement brake master cylinder packing up and leaking yet again. Time for a new or reco one this time, no more second hand rubbish lol.. Will be getting the cam reground in the next couple of weeks and chuck that it with a new set of lifters. Will probably chase down a new o2 sensor while im at it. Will leave the head work until i can afford it, but will still keep going with porting/polishing when i find me a long shaft air grinder to get into the ports better. Will get some pics of the interior finished when its done :wink:

Sort by  
 Page 11 of 110  [ 1638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 110  Next